Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #61
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Agreed. Plus, can you imagine the amount of finger pressure that would be needed to play that baby?
actually yes... Only because as a n00b guitarist I made that mistake over a decade ago.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-24-2007, 01:08 AM   #62

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
To drop B, your best bet would be to drop A and put a capo on fret 2.
GREAT SUGGESTION!

I was trying to think of how to get a baritone guitar into Drop-B earlier and just couldn't come up with a solution...this is so "duh" it hurts.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #63
Baritone ax'er

Now that Ive got most of my drop tuning questions out of the way, its time for standard tuning (faint evil/sinister/maniacal laughing in the background).

I'm currently in a band (myspace.com/deathtolifeministries) that plays only in standard tuning, and I'm joining our church's High School band this Wednesday, who also only plays in standard tuning. Both bands only meet once a week (both on Wednesday at my church), so I wont be playing in standard tuning very much, maybe 20-25% of the time. So if I wanted to play a standard tuning song with the Baritone without using a capo, since its the same tuning, just a 1/5 down, could I play the same chords and it would be sound right, just deeper? And for the 7-string, its already in standard tuning, just with the low B, so would I have to not play/mute the 7th string when playing standard tuning songs to sound right, or could I play all 7-strings and it would be okay, just sound deeper?

Also, if either of the two questions I asked are a yes (or both of them), would I have to do any transversing? (because I'll have to be able to learn songs on the spot at my church without a tab for it, they'll just tell me what to play)

I'm sorry about all the bombardment of questions, its just that I have to make a decision in a few days, and there are still some Q's that need answering on my part before I will feel comfortable making a decision.

TIA
-Cam

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #64
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
Now that Ive got most of my drop tuning questions out of the way, its time for standard tuning (faint evil/sinister/maniacal laughing in the background).

I'm currently in a band (myspace.com/deathtolifeministries) that plays only in standard tuning, and I'm joining our church's High School band this Wednesday, who also only plays in standard tuning. Both bands only meet once a week (both on Wednesday at my church), so I wont be playing in standard tuning very much, maybe 20-25% of the time. So if I wanted to play a standard tuning song with the Baritone without using a capo, since its the same tuning, just a 1/5 down, could I play the same chords and it would be sound right, just deeper? And for the 7-string, its already in standard tuning, just with the low B, so would I have to not play/mute the 7th string when playing standard tuning songs to sound right, or could I play all 7-strings and it would be okay, just sound deeper?

Also, if either of the two questions I asked are a yes (or both of them), would I have to do any transversing? (because I'll have to be able to learn songs on the spot at my church without a tab for it, they'll just tell me what to play)

I'm sorry about all the bombardment of questions, its just that I have to make a decision in a few days, and there are still some Q's that need answering on my part before I will feel comfortable making a decision.

TIA
-Cam
On a baritone, if you play a standard G form it will be a D chord. If you try playing exactly the same shape as standard tuning, you will be a fifth off 100% of the time.

My Life.
Unread 11-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #65
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
On a baritone, if you play a standard G form it will be a D chord. If you try playing exactly the same shape as standard tuning, you will be a fifth off 100% of the time.

OK, and what about the 7-string?

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

Unread 11-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #66

Quote:
So if I wanted to play a standard tuning song with the Baritone without using a capo, since its the same tuning, just a 1/5 down, could I play the same chords and it would be sound right, just deeper?
It's not the same tuning, it's five 1/2 steps lower. You could still play chords, but you'd have to transpose. It's not like you can just finger a C chord the way you usually do in standard and have it be a "C, just deeper" tonally, it would be a G chord. If you wanted, you could teach yourself all of these lower chords, and use the lower inversions of the chords for deeper sounding chords, it would take some work but it could be done. For simplicities sake, you'll definitely want a capo to play familiar chords especially if you're playing a song you don't know.
I was skeptical about the capo thing as well, but the capo I have acts almost identical to my bridge, it's a shubb, I highly recommend it if you do decide to do the capo thing, it's more expensive than most capos, but it's well worth it, and doesn't use springs to clamp and possibly harm your guitar.

with a seven string, you can play "E" form barre chords, and choose to either just barre the seventh string (giving you a fifth on the bass) or mute it / somehow not play it.
I don't know about "A" forms, but most people don't play the sixth string anyway when they play these forms, so If you're one of those people, then you shouldn't have a problem
If you play open chords, the lowest string may or may not be a note in the chord, it depends of which chord.

Last edited by thesteve; 11-25-2007 at 01:10 AM.
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #67
Tired of being attacked

I'm thinking a good capo would be a wise choice with a baritone if that is the route you choose. Drop B would be accessible and standard would be available with the capo on fret 5.

My Life.
Unread 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #68
Baritone ax'er

Ive been emailing my guitar instructor as well as speaking to him last Wed. about this whole issue/decision, let me copy what he said in his most recent e-mail to me (yesterday):

The seven string may be the best way to go. You would have to get used to selective playing of that 7th string, but that's just a little practice.

He has also told me that the 7-string will require less tuning since I'll be playing in standard tuning as well. Do you agree/disagree with what he has said?

Unread 11-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #69
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Another option with the baritone is to tune it to BEADGB (notice that's just a matter of tuning the F# up a half step from bari-standard) and play like you're playing a 7 string missing the high E string. Or capo on 5.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #70
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Another option with the baritone is to tune it to BEADGB (notice that's just a matter of tuning the F# up a half step from bari-standard) and play like you're playing a 7 string missing the high E string. Or capo on 5.

So you think a Baritone would be the better option?

Unread 11-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #71
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Ive been emailing my guitar instructor as well as speaking to him last Wed. about this whole issue/decision, let me copy what he said in his most recent e-mail to me (yesterday):

The seven string may be the best way to go. You would have to get used to selective playing of that 7th string, but that's just a little practice.

He has also told me that the 7-string will require less tuning since I'll be playing in standard tuning as well. Do you agree/disagree with what he has said?
disagree. Just buy a capo and put it on fret 5 for standard tuning and do not play one fingered power chords. A standard Barre will sound better and with the low B available, thats enough. For me it is far simpler and far easier to just Barre 5 frets up rather than worry with an extra string. The capo would solve all your worries.

My Life.
Unread 11-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #72

Agreed, If I were you I'd do the baritone/capo solution.
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #73
Baritone ax'er

OK, I'm heavily considering buying the Baritone now, but what would I have to do for the following tunings: Drop D, Drop C#/Db, and Drop C. In other words, how would/could I achieve these tunings on the Baritone?

Unread 11-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #74

Send a message via AIM to tht00 Send a message via Yahoo to tht00
Quote:
OK, I'm heavily considering buying the Baritone now, but what would I have to do for the following tunings: Drop D, Drop C#/Db, and Drop C. In other words, how would/could I achieve these tunings on the Baritone?
From my understanding, you wouldn't need those at all.

Usually, the 'drop' tunings are to allow for lower power chords that weren't possible on standard (a low D, for instance). With a baritone, you can easily hit that without changing the tuning, so it would seem awful redundant to do so.
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #75

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht00 View Post
From my understanding, you wouldn't need those at all.

Usually, the 'drop' tunings are to allow for lower power chords that weren't possible on standard (a low D, for instance). With a baritone, you can easily hit that without changing the tuning, so it would seem awful redundant to do so.
they also just allow for easy one-finger power chords.

Quote:
if you tune to drop A as Bill suggested then capo 2 you're in drop B...Capo 3 for Drop C, 4 for C# and 5 for D.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote