Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #46
RYANISM©

ok so yeah i had a seven string for about a year and i loved it
the tuning is BEADGbe and yes you can play drop b songs but not without a little thought
as far as chords are concerned
i think chords involving seven strings sound ugly but you can play any bar chord with the root on the E string and play an inversion with the fifth on the bottom by barring the seventh string as well.

what kind of seven string are you getting?
i had a schecter c-7 blackjack and i loved it i still do but i sold it to knock a couple bucks off my taylor which i love more.

but if you dont know what kind you are going to get then i really suggest the c-7 blackjack its really pretty and you can get some really good tones out of it
the pickups it comes with are pretty nice and you can take it from like really nice cleans to really heavy metal\
and with the right eq settings you can slap on it and it sounds like your slapping on the high end of a bass
i kinda miss that guitar
oh well
hope that helped

7 strings = AMAZING

and check out my youtube!
xbox live gamertag = ryanxxxx

i play call of duty 4, halo 3, and guitar hero 3
lets play
ryanxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #47
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanxxxx View Post
ok so yeah i had a seven string for about a year and i loved it
the tuning is BEADGbe and yes you can play drop b songs but not without a little thought
as far as chords are concerned
i think chords involving seven strings sound ugly but you can play any bar chord with the root on the E string and play an inversion with the fifth on the bottom by barring the seventh string as well.

what kind of seven string are you getting?
i had a schecter c-7 blackjack and i loved it i still do but i sold it to knock a couple bucks off my taylor which i love more.

but if you dont know what kind you are going to get then i really suggest the c-7 blackjack its really pretty and you can get some really good tones out of it
the pickups it comes with are pretty nice and you can take it from like really nice cleans to really heavy metal\
and with the right eq settings you can slap on it and it sounds like your slapping on the high end of a bass
i kinda miss that guitar
oh well
hope that helped

7 strings = AMAZING

Im making a decision between a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (7-string) and the Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack (6-string).

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #48
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
hmm...since you plan on playing drop tuned most of the time, I don't think that the baritone is necessarily a bad choice, after all...it's already tuned B, E, A, D, F#, B...

and that C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack has a good set of pickups in it stock.

so the Schecter Baritone is already in its own version of Drop B? (meaning you could play 6-string Drop B tabs with this Baritone's standard tuning)

will I have to transverse tabs as I would have to with a 7-string?

also, will this guitar do well in standard tuning? (standard tuning about 20-25% of time)

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

Unread 11-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #49
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Baritone guitars have longer scale lengths, typically from 26.5 inches like in the Schecter to 29.5 inches in the Gretsch. They are meant to play lower notes and it makes no sense to use it otherwise - although you could tune it any way you want. But, why mess with a good thing?

If you want to have that ability in a standard guitar, get the Fender VG Strat. It has a baritone setting.

So..................

Is the Schecter BT's standard tuning (B-b) the equivalent of a regular 6-string's Drop B?

Can the Schecter BT's standard tuning be used in regular 6-string Drop B tabs without changing the tuning or transversing the tab?

Unread 11-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #50
Baritone ax'er

EMG 81/85's or Seymour-Duncan '59's?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack, and it has the SD '59 pickups, Ive heard several good and bad reviews of these pickups. the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (along with many other guitars) have EMG 81/85 pickups, and Ive only heard good things about the EMG's. Which set of pickups would you prefer?

P.S. Drop tuning (primarily Drop B and C#)= 75% of time Standard tuning= 25% of time.

TIA
-Cam

Unread 11-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #51

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
so the Schecter Baritone is already in its own version of Drop B? (meaning you could play 6-string Drop B tabs with this Baritone's standard tuning)

will I have to transverse tabs as I would have to with a 7-string?

also, will this guitar do well in standard tuning? (standard tuning about 20-25% of time)
I have no idea what tuning "drop-B" is, but I'd imagine getting the proper tuning on a baritone would be much easier than on a standard guitar. All I can say really is that the "standard" tuning on a baritone is lower than the standard tuning on a regular guitar.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #52

I just looked it up...Drop-B tuning is different than Baritone tuning...

Baritone tuning is B E A D F# B
Drop-B is B F# B E G# C#

BTW...I'm merging your multiple question posts into a single thread...I think they'll be easier for you to keep track of that way. As it is, you're asking the same questions in a lot of your threads.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #53
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
I have no idea what tuning "drop-B" is, but I'd imagine getting the proper tuning on a baritone would be much easier than on a standard guitar. All I can say really is that the "standard" tuning on a baritone is lower than the standard tuning on a regular guitar.

Drop B tuning (reg. 6-string, 6-1): B/F#/B/E/G#/C#

So, would I have to transverse standard-tuning tabs to play it on the Baritone?

Or could I play along with a standard-tuning tab (same chords, etc.) just fine with a Baritone in its own standard tuning?

Quote:
I just looked it up...Drop-B tuning is different than Baritone tuning...

Baritone tuning is B E A D F# B
Drop-B is B F# B E G# C#

BTW...I'm merging your multiple question posts into a single thread...I think they'll be easier for you to keep track of that way. As it is, you're asking the same questions in a lot of your threads.

So what could play with a Baritone in standard tuning?

Could you play along with Drop B tabs without transversing, or would you have to tune the Baritone to Drop B?

If you cant play along with Drop B tabs or standard-tuning tabs, what could you play with a Baritone in standard tuning.

Sorry about all the question threads Steve, I'm just very anxious about deciding between the Hellraiser and Baritone and need as much information as possible about the Baritone right now.

Unread 11-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #54

in order to play drop B on a baritone you'd have to transpose the music to baritone tuning, however Baritone tuning is the same as Standard (EADGBE) tuning, only a fifth lower so songs in standard will move a 5th lower when played on a baritone.

Drop-B is a variation of Drop-D...allowing you to play 1-finger power-chords.

Baritone is actually a lower tuning than Drop-B, but the notes are different. I don't know if you could easily achieve Drop-B on a baritone guitar if you used lighter strings.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #55

Send a message via AIM to tht00 Send a message via Yahoo to tht00
Quote:
I'm thinking about purchasing a Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack, and it has the SD '59 pickups, Ive heard several good and bad reviews of these pickups. the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (along with many other guitars) have EMG 81/85 pickups, and Ive only heard good things about the EMG's. Which set of pickups would you prefer?

P.S. Drop tuning (primarily Drop B and C#)= 75% of time Standard tuning= 25% of time.

TIA
-Cam
Umm... it has 2 '59 pickups? I've never heard of putting that p'up in the bridge position.

I've got a SH-1 '59 in the neck of my Ibanez Gax70 and it truly is a wonderful pickup... but it really isn't suited for anything 'heavy'. Beautiful clean and overdriven, and you can get some sweet/warm leads out of it, but too much distortion muds the thing up.

For the styles I play, I'm definitely set on the '59. However, I don't think it would be well suited for drop tunings.
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #56

The EX-1 has the '59 in the neck and the JB in the bridge.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #57

With the baritone's tuning, all you would have to do to play standard is capo it at 5. you could play drop "B" stuff by just playing regular power chords (a normal e5 would be a b5, which would be the lowest powerchord on a guitar tuned to drop "B") Sometimes, you will need to have the one finger capabilities found in drop tunings, in that case, drop the B to an A and capo the guitar at 2. Sometime, hopefully before I graduate I hope to get a guitar that I'll use specifically for that reason, (when I get an amp with a speaker larger than 8") If you choose to do this, definitely make sure you get the guitar perfectly intonated, and use a nice capo, shubb makes some good ones.

Sounds like a fun project.

I don't know if you'd be interested, but fender makes a Jaguar Baritone Guitar. I recently saw TFK in concert and they used a Jaguar, I don't know if it was the baritone model, but I wouldn't doubt it since sometimes they go low to drop B. I'd like to have one of those guitars.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN259300

Last edited by CDBongo; 11-23-2007 at 03:42 PM.
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #58
Baritone ax'er

So, for the baritone, I could either leave it in its standard tuning and capo the 5th fret or I could tune it back to regular tuning E/A/D/G/B/E and it would be fine? Would it sound any deeper after tuning it to regular tuning?

And for any other tunings, like Drop C#/Db for example, I could just tune it to C#/Db and it would be fine, it might sound a bit deeper?

Unread 11-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #59
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
So, for the baritone, I could either leave it in its standard tuning and capo the 5th fret or I could tune it back to regular tuning E/A/D/G/B/E and it would be fine? Would it sound any deeper after tuning it to regular tuning?

And for any other tunings, like Drop C#/Db for example, I could just tune it to C#/Db and it would be fine, it might sound a bit deeper?
You tune it to regular tuning and you are asking for trouble. The scale is longer and that will be too much tension.

You tune a baritone to standard
B
E
A
D
F#
B

If you start tuning it higher, I can almost guarantee problems.

To drop B, your best bet would be to drop A and put a capo on fret 2.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #60
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
You tune it to regular tuning and you are asking for trouble. The scale is longer and that will be too much tension.

If you start tuning it higher, I can almost guarantee problems.

To drop B, your best bet would be to drop A and put a capo on fret 2.
Agreed. Plus, can you imagine the amount of finger pressure that would be needed to play that baby?

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote