Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #31
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
So youre saying that I should go for the XTL over one of the bigger FBV (besides the Express)?
The 2 aren't interchangeable.

XTL is not an amp controller. It's an amp without a speaker and cabinet. You would NOT use it with your Spider.

FBV of any kind is an amp controller. It's made to be used with any of the Line 6 amps. You WOULD use it with your Spider.

This is about as plain and simple as it can be stated. If you don't understand it then, please, don't buy anything until you do.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I think the bigger question Dave is whether or not the OP should buy a foot controller that's worth more than his amp.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:30 AM   #33
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I think the bigger question Dave is whether or not the OP should buy a foot controller that's worth more than his amp.
He's got 5 choices:

FBV-2: these are probably discontinued and rightly so. With only 2 buttons, they were good for little.

FBV-4: these, too, I believe are discontinued and pretty much replaced by the...

FBV-Express: all around good controller for most of the Spider II/III and other Line 6 amps.

FBV-Shortboard: a big step up from the Express with several more presets and the ability to control effects as well as channels.

FBV: the king. Dedicated wah and volume (not either/or as on the other boards) and even more things to step on.

I own the Express. It's exactly what I need for my Spider II 112. I, too, agree that the Shortboard, while nice, is pricey when compared to the Spider amp but it does allow for a bit more versatility than the Express.
If I wanted a lot of control from my Spider then I'd get a Shortboard or FBV.

If I didn't need an amp with a speaker then I'd scrap the Spider and any thoughts of a controller and just get an XTL or X3L instead.

For the OP, if he's got $100 that's burning a hole in his pocket and he doesn't already have a controller for his Spider, purchasing the FBV Express is almost a no-brainer, imho.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
For the OP, if he's got $100 that's burning a hole in his pocket and he doesn't already have a controller for his Spider, purchasing the FBV Express is almost a no-brainer, imho.
this is the same thing I was thinking. It sounds like the OPs grandparents would be willing to get him the FBV Express. After that you're looking at the $270 Shortboard. The L6 website indicates the FBV ($400 model) isn't compatible with the Spider IIIs (though in another part they do...way to be confusing L6).

I suppose if the OP is planning on using the Spider for a very long time and/or stay with Line6 amplifiers for awhile, I can see the extra money for the Shortboard to be worth it as it will follow you as your upgrade your amp and is compatible with the Spider Valve amps coming out.

I just feel like for the $270 that would be spent on the Shortboard, better options are available. Maybe it's my internal, anti-modeling side kicking in (not that I think it's bad, I'm just too lazy to use it), but I feel like you could probably get $150-$200 for your amp on the used market and then spend $400+ on a new amp that might suit your needs better than what you have now.

Ultimately, it comes down to needs. How much versatility do you need? Will you use more than four presets during a set? If so the Express might not be enough. If you can get away with only having four presets, then the Express is just great.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #35

Here's the easiest solution:
Keep your amp. Get the FBV Express.
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #36
Baritone ax'er

couple questions about 7-string guitars

I have several questions about 7-string guitars: As far as the tuning goes on 7ST's compared to 6ST's (regular ) goes, is standard tuning for a 7ST's the equivalent of standard tuning for 6ST's? Can you keep a 7ST in standard tuning and play a song in Drop B that was tabbed for a 6ST, if so, will you have to change the chords? Now about the chord formation 7ST compared to a 6ST. i.e, a bar chord on the 3rd fret on a 6ST guitar. on a 7ST, when making this bar chord, would you bar the 7th string as well? Or would you leave the 7th string open? i.e. a Bsus chord on a 6ST guitar (2nd fret/5th string and 4th fret/3rd-4th string), would you make the chord the same way on a 7ST, or would you shift all of your fingers over one string so that your 1st finger would be on the 6th string instead of the 5th string?

Sorry about the bombardment of questions, its just that a 7-string is in my near future, and I need to know all of this before I buy it .

TIA
-RIC

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #37
Baritone ax'er

Baritone? What is it?

Demon Hunter has a Baritone guitar, and I just thought that a Baritone was a type of guitar, but I came across this guitar and I looked at the tuning. Here's the link (go to the bottom right-hand corner, after clicking on "Guitars" at the top, and youll find Schecter's C-1 Baritone):

http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp

If you look at the tuning at the bottom right-hand corner after clicking the link to the guitar (not the very bottom but close), youll notice that the tuning is far from standard, why is it tuned this way and what is the significance of it?

TIA
-RIC

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

Unread 11-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #38

Baritone guitar is usually a guitar down a fifth from normal guitar tuning. The intervals between the strings stay the same, but instead of being E-e, you'll have B-b or A-a.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #39
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWatford View Post
Baritone guitar is usually a guitar down a fifth from normal guitar tuning. The intervals between the strings stay the same, but instead of being E-e, you'll have B-b or A-a.

So its a guitar specifically designed for drop tuning?

Can it do standard tuning as well?

Unread 11-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #40
Baritone ax'er

For those who remember at the beginning of this thread (also in the title ), I was talking about getting a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser 7-string guitar for Christmas and then having my grandparents get me something for $100. My parents told me this morning that their not going to help me get the guitar for Christmas (I was going to pay at least half), and getting a new, far better guitar then my own is higher on my priority list than getting a(n) footboard/pedalboard/etc, so I'll be asking my grandparents for a gift card to GC instead of the footboard to go towards the guitar, so the footboard is going to have to wait, but I would like to see this discussion continue about the FBV/POD/etc. products.

I will still be checking in as often as I can and something else may come up that would allow me to get a footboard for Christmas. But for now, can we switch the discussion to 7-string guitars and/or the Schecter guitar I mentioned.

-RIC

I ran across Baritone guitars, something I had never considered before until now. What would you consider buying for a drop-tuned (about 75% of time and playing to bands like Demon Hunter) guitar player: the Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack or Schecter C-7 Hellraiser 7-string?

the Baritone is $150 cheaper

Last edited by thesteve; 11-22-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #41
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
So its a guitar specifically designed for drop tuning?

Can it do standard tuning as well?
Baritone guitars have longer scale lengths, typically from 26.5 inches like in the Schecter to 29.5 inches in the Gretsch. They are meant to play lower notes and it makes no sense to use it otherwise - although you could tune it any way you want. But, why mess with a good thing?

If you want to have that ability in a standard guitar, get the Fender VG Strat. It has a baritone setting.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #42
1 John 4:17

Doesn't Matt Redman play a baritone guitar for some songs? I've seen him with a Danelectro electric guitar on the Facedown DVD, and I thought I heard him say at one point that he used a baritone. Can anybody else verify this?

Acoustic:
Taylor 814CE Acoustic Guitar

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #43
AofD

Send a message via AIM to KaiserZr Send a message via Yahoo to KaiserZr
I have never own a 7 string guitar, but I do own a 5 string bass (both add the B-string)... I will tell you could play tabs written in drop-b with out detuning, but you would have to transcribe the tabs. As for bar chords... considering most involving the 6 string using the root note have the high B-string barred on the same fret as the 6th string I figure you would just bar that note...if you wanted it, but that would be an inverted chord if I am not mistaken since the first note is not the root note.
KaiserZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #44
AofD

Send a message via AIM to KaiserZr Send a message via Yahoo to KaiserZr
for a drop-tuned player I would say neither, get a good 6 string save some money for the controller board for your amp. My old room mate in college was in a metalcore band and he used a 6 string schecter (I forget which model) on his Marshal amp and it sounded great. Now he was playing drop-C most of the time, but I personally play drop-B quite often when practicing Skillet, East West, and Demon Hunter and my Ibanez cuts it pretty good, minus the initial hassle of getting it tuned since my tremolo setup doesn't like it... I might need to add a 5th spring.
KaiserZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #45

hmm...since you plan on playing drop tuned most of the time, I don't think that the baritone is necessarily a bad choice, after all...it's already tuned B, E, A, D, F#, B...

and that C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack has a good set of pickups in it stock.

I'm a podcaster