Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #16
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Once again, that would be redundant, the control board for your amp would be far more useful and would probably lend you better results.
Yes, the GT8 is best used as a stand-alone device when running direct to a mixer or possibly in front of a very clean, very neutral amplifier.

The Spider III is basically an amp that contains many of the effects and amp/cabinet models that something like the GT8 would already have so if you were to buy a GT8 and a Spider III, you'd be essentially buying the same thing twice in regards to effects, distortions, etc...whereas a FBV Express used with a Spider III would be a great combo as the FBV doesn't make any sounds or effects on it's own but it allows you to control them from within the Spider since they're already there.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #17

Tally one more vote for the FBV Express over the GT8. I'd explain but I'd be beating a dead horse.
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
Baritone ax'er

So the FBV will be a Wah pedal, a Volume pedal (which Ive been told I need), and itll be able to switch channels from the board, along with a chromatic tuner. Is there anything else it will do that Im not aware of? Will it change the sound any way?

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
So the FBV will be a Wah pedal, a Volume pedal (which Ive been told I need), and itll be able to switch channels from the board, along with a chromatic tuner. Is there anything else it will do that Im not aware of? Will it change the sound any way?
the FBV Express is a wah/volume (according to how your settings are) with the chromatic tuner built-in and the ability to switch between four presets and tap tempo. It's definitely a good unit to have in order to get the most out of your amp.

It will not change the sound at all. It only takes the preset buttons on the face of the amp and puts them at your feet for much easier access.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #20
Baritone ax'er

POD products

I was looking at the FBV Express, Shortboard, and Footboard when I came across the POD XT and X3 Live. I'm seeing the same Chan. A/B/C/D footswitches that I see on the FBV's along with the volume/wah pedal, so are the POD products basically just better FBV's? If so, I'll definetly look into them.

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

Unread 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
I was looking at the FBV Express, Shortboard, and Footboard when I came across the POD XT and X3 Live. I'm seeing the same Chan. A/B/C/D footswitches that I see on the FBV's along with the volume/wah pedal, so are the POD products basically just better FBV's? If so, I'll definetly look into them.
They're completely different products with a similar interface. the FBVs are just controllers. The POD XTL and X3L are both standalone units that include digital preamps, effects and cabinet simulation as well as their own switches. To compare them to the FBVs is absurd.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
They're completely different products with a similar interface. the FBVs are just controllers. The POD XTL and X3L are both standalone units that include digital preamps, effects and cabinet simulation as well as their own switches. To compare them to the FBVs is absurd.
Basically, think of the FBV Express and Short/Longboards as controllers for Line 6 amplifiers...they're useless without a Line 6 combo amp...and think of the FloorPOD, FloorPOD Pro, XTLive and XT3 as a combination amp and controller minus the cabinet, power amplifier and speaker...they're used instead of a Line 6 combo amp.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #23
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Basically, think of the FBV Express and Short/Longboards as controllers for Line 6 amplifiers...they're useless without a Line 6 combo amp...and think of the FloorPOD, FloorPOD Pro, XTLive and XT3 as a combination amp and controller minus the cabinet, power amplifier and speaker...they're used instead of a Line 6 combo amp.

So, are you saying that I shouldnt look at the POD products to go with my amp? I know that'll probably have more features than my amp does, but should I look into it?

Unread 11-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #24

Quote:
So, are you saying that I shouldnt look at the POD products to go with my amp? I know that'll probably have more features than my amp does, but should I look into it?
i think if you had a different amp they would be worth looking in to, but with the amp you already have, you should be looking to actually use the amp to its fullest extent. If you were to get a POD unit, your amp would likely be reduced to being a neutral tone generator.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #25

NO, this is a bit of a stretch, but I'd say that the POD modelers do just about the same thing as the Spider amps do, no sence in buying the same thing twice, total overkill. The FBV controller essentially gives you pod capabilities with your amp. The controller itself does nothing besides change paramaters on your spider amp where as the pod is the thing creating the tone, which is why the controller is cheaper than the pod pedals. Since you already have the amp it would be totally pointless to buy a pod pedal.
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #26

Quote:
No. Your Spider III is basically a POD in combo amp form.
Buying one would be like using a POD with a POD...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #27
Baritone ax'er

I'm leaving to GC right now, so I'll post back with what I try out.

Any suggestions?

Unread 11-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #28
Baritone ax'er

got back from GC, I wasnt able to find out much.

They didnt have the Hellraiser in stock, so I had too play a Schecter Gryffon 7-string (half the price of the HR) and they didnt have the amp that I got from them (Line 6 Spider III 75W) in stock either. I did make a decision on stomp boxes, Im not getting one. I am getting a headache from all this thinking thats been going on these past few days .

I will probably end up getting a FBV shortboard or footboard, but they are $300-$400, and my grandfather probably wont spend over $100. the FBV Express is $100, but if I got a FBV pedal, itd be one of the bigger ones. Does anyone have an idea of what I could get for $100 (music/guitar-wise)?

Unread 11-22-2007, 12:40 AM   #29

Quote:
I will probably end up getting a FBV shortboard or footboard, but they are $300-$400, and my grandfather probably wont spend over $100. the FBV Express is $100, but if I got a FBV pedal, itd be one of the bigger ones. Does anyone have an idea of what I could get for $100 (music/guitar-wise)?
honestly, for the Spiders, I would just go with the FBV Express...of course maybe you'll use more than four presets in a set, but for me, I think four switches would be plenty enough. I don't think I just justify spending more for a controller than I did for an amplifier. If I was going to spend $300+ I'd probably go with an XTL (if I wanted a multi-FX) or something else (maybe save it towards an amp more geared for the sound I want).

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #30
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
honestly, for the Spiders, I would just go with the FBV Express...of course maybe you'll use more than four presets in a set, but for me, I think four switches would be plenty enough. I don't think I just justify spending more for a controller than I did for an amplifier. If I was going to spend $300+ I'd probably go with an XTL (if I wanted a multi-FX) or something else (maybe save it towards an amp more geared for the sound I want).

So youre saying that I should go for the XTL over one of the bigger FBV (besides the Express)?