Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Recovering from a bad note.

Okay, nobody is perfect, it happens to the best of us, we go for that note that we know we're gonna have trouble with and when we do sometimes we miss it, how do you handle it? Do you pretend not to notice, or do you just press on, or what?

I pretend not to notice until after I finish singing, then I kinda look at everybody to gauge their reaction...

But I'm a very nervous vocalist.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
Okay, nobody is perfect, it happens to the best of us, we go for that note that we know we're gonna have trouble with and when we do sometimes we miss it, how do you handle it? Do you pretend not to notice, or do you just press on, or what?

I pretend not to notice until after I finish singing, then I kinda look at everybody to gauge their reaction...

But I'm a very nervous vocalist.
I just keep going and try to cover the best I can. Most people won't even notice unless you react to it. I've even heard professional opera singers crack on a high note once in a while and most non-singers would never notice. Of course, if your singing in front of a group of vocalists your in trouble

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Ax
Rabid Wombat

... last night at my audition (which for the most part rocked and I blew them away) i went for one note that I normally hit, and it just came out weak and terrible... but they didn't seem to notice or care...

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
... last night at my audition (which for the most part rocked and I blew them away) i went for one note that I normally hit, and it just came out weak and terrible... but they didn't seem to notice or care...
So, the only person that really noticed was you.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
So, the only person that really noticed was you.
And that's how it normally is. As long as you don't react to your mistake (a very hard thing to master) no one else will react to your mistake.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Moo.

Send a message via MSN to _maranatha
haha, it's funny you mention that. I recently watched a video of one of my last performances and there was a note that wasn't as great as it could have been and the look on my face was priceless. It cracks me up to watch it. However, it couldn't have been that bad because it has been over a month later and we (it was duet) are still getting people stopping us and saying what a great job we did.
Gladly for aye we adore Him.
_maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Well apparently they didn't really notice at all because they asked me if I would rather just sing rather sing and play... And I said whatever makes them happy...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 11-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #8

first off God won't care, second just make a gesture with your face to let the crowd know you know you messed up and they'll shake it off like nothing and you'll get some laughs
LesPaulLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Art
Superfly.

paid
That is something I learned while playing trumpet in pep band many moons ago. Nobody else is going to notice your mistake if you don't acknowledge it. I mean, the dork musicians will, but who cares? Press on.
Unread 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Pyro-Hippie

When I hear a bad note, many times even when they react to it, if it's a song I like then I forget about it two seconds later as long as they keep going. Even if someone notices, and even in the irony that they do remember it, nobody cares. They won't expect you to be perfect.
Unread 12-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #11
vintage.

Just don't react.

I've seen performers who hit terrible notes, acted confident and/or like they meant to do it, and received enthusiastic applause afterwards.
Sunkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #12
is called by God

Send a message via AIM to Decency Send a message via MSN to Decency Send a message via Yahoo to Decency
Make a Joyful noise to the Lord is what my bible says. It doesn't have to be right on if you're singing for and to God.
Decency is offline   Reply With Quote