Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
What Strat do you have? The reason I ask is to see what you're comparing with.
I have a strat copy (Ariana), but for some reason it works better than all the strats I've played (other former band members had actual strats). It works fine, but the output jack is messed up. Also I've been able to use it in drop B without any problems (maybe cause I use 10 guage strings). It has good enough sound but if any electrical device is near it (say a fan or computer) it starts buzzing, but that just cause its got single coils.

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Well, I really don't see why that'd be impossible. If you took all the "ingredients" of a Les Paul (mahogany body and neck, maple cap, rosewood board, similar electronics, TOM bridge, shorter scale) and just made it Strat-shaped, then it should theoretically have the LP sound.

I'm sure you can have that custom ordered.
PRS Custom? Mahogany body, carved maple cap, set neck, 25" scale, trem, angled headstock, 2 HB w/ 5 way switching. Body shape between a LP DC and Strat. I haven't personally used one, but it looks like it should be pretty close.
Gibson SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC7rock View Post
I have a strat copy (Ariana), but for some reason it works better than all the strats I've played (other former band members had actual strats). It works fine, but the output jack is messed up. Also I've been able to use it in drop B without any problems (maybe cause I use 10 guage strings). It has good enough sound but if any electrical device is near it (say a fan or computer) it starts buzzing, but that just cause its got single coils.
well I think we should also look at some of the nicer 'strats'

A lot of why you don't think the guitar sounds good is NOT because of it's shape (making the les paul sound better than your strat) but becuase of electronics, pickups, wood quality etc.

As far as the floating bridge, it isn't that big of a deal. Granted, breaking a string screws you up, but I never have tuning or intonation problems...

There are currently two Ariana Strat copies on ebay, one going for $40 and one going for $25, making their average price $32.50

I wouldn't sell you one pickup out of my suhr for that much, I just don't think you should use this as the 'strat' representative in a comparison, it isn't very fair.
Unread 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Doesn't close to everyone use 10 gauge strings? I do for both my Les Paul and my Tele and I start buzzing at drop C.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #50

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
Doesn't close to everyone use 10 gauge strings? I do for both my Les Paul and my Tele and I start buzzing at drop C.
I used to use tens...now I use nines.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I used to use tens...now I use nines.
I used to use nines...and they always broke on me. So I use tens. ;p
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #52

Quote:
I used to use nines...and they always broke on me. So I use tens. ;p
I never have had anything other than 9s on my Strat...my Jagstang still has 10s on them...

though I don't think I'm breaking strings any more often than I was before. if anything, changes in technique and style mean I break them less.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #53
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
I never have had anything other than 9s on my Strat...my Jagstang still has 10s on them...

though I don't think I'm breaking strings any more often than I was before. if anything, changes in technique and style mean I break them less.
I use 11s on everything now...electrics and acoustics.
There's finally a level of consistency of feel across all of my guitars.

Oh, and I haven't broken a string while playing in over 2 years and prior to that I hadn't broken one in 5 years or more.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #54
ERG guitars > All

I have the "string saver" saddles installed on my guitars now and I do not have a problem whatsoever breaking my D addario 9's

I have to change my strings at least 3 to 4 times a month as I play/practice/gig pretty regularly. I cant stand rusty crustys anyway.
Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #55

yeah...that's the other thing...my skin either isn't very sweaty or my sweat isn't very corrosive. I can't recall having to replace strings on one of my electrics because they were dirty and gross...at least not on one of them that was being used regularly.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #56
ERG guitars > All

Quote:
yeah...that's the other thing...my skin either isn't very sweaty or my sweat isn't very corrosive. I can't recall having to replace strings on one of my electrics because they were dirty and gross...at least not on one of them that was being used regularly.

It also has to do with climate, I live in a very humid area. Strings will rust even when theyre not being used.
Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged by Fire View Post
It also has to do with climate, I live in a very humid area. Strings will rust even when theyre not being used.
very true...San Diego usually doesn't get over 80% humidity for more than a few days a year.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Not in my area, all they sell in 50 miles is normally nines, but I buy bulk packs of tens at guitar center, well cause I'm tired of breaking the same string over and over and not having another of it. Also my Epiphone buzzed right from the factory at stanard tuning, but I've since reset the action really really high and had to reset the sliders (it took really really long but I got it). I've heard that a bunch of Epiphone guitars just come like that, even though the tag said it had been checking for buzzing. (though that's just one funny thing about it; it also has both inspected in china and 100% inspected in the US stickers on the neck!!)

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #59

Quote:
I've heard that a bunch of Epiphone guitars just come like that, even though the tag said it had been checking for buzzing. (though that's just one funny thing about it; it also has both inspected in china and 100% inspected in the US stickers on the neck!!)
Just because it's inspected doesn't mean it's set up. It just means that QC has determined that it will work.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #60
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged by Fire View Post
I have the "string saver" saddles installed on my guitars now and I do not have a problem whatsoever breaking my D addario 9's

I have to change my strings at least 3 to 4 times a month as I play/practice/gig pretty regularly. I cant stand rusty crustys anyway.
Oh, please do explain!

Anyways, the reason I break strings all the time is my saddles have burrs all over them.