Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Proud to be irish

Good Rock Chords

Just curious, what're some good rock-ish chords besides power chords?

Oh!Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh!Gravity View Post
Just curious, what're some good rock-ish chords besides power chords?
uhh...major chords, minor chords, maybe...minor 7ths....major 7ths...

this is a really weird question...partially because I've never thought about it...and partially because it's really just limited to your creativity as a player.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Proud to be irish

I see. So, you're saying, any chord can be a rock chord if you have distortion or something...
Oh!Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
power chord hater

You do realize that power chords are just stripped down versions of other chords right? Instead of having 3 notes (like major or minor chords) or 4 (like 7th or other 'jazz' chords) it's just 2. Root-5th-Octave. That's what gives it the drive.

That being said...no one really uses power chords. Unless you're in a punk band.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Red Sox Rocker

Quote:
I see. So, you're saying, any chord can be a rock chord if you have distortion or something...
Yes, actually. But you're not asking the right question. You're not looking for chords, you're looking for progressions. The pentatonic scale is a really easy way to get started on rock progressions.
http://www.leagueofguitarists.com/fo...dex.php?page=6

I've attached a file with an example of how to use the pentatonic scale for rock. If you want to know what I did for any part of it, ask, I'll explain it.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 RockChords.mp3 (381.8 KB, 40 views)
~A good friend of mine
"Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail..."
~Coheed and Cambria, The End Complete V: On the Brink
Tale of the Nine: my Songwriting project!
"Tails flies away, but the Link hookshots him, beats him with the magic hammer, boomerangs him in the head, bombs him, freezes him and then lights him on fire, creates blocks to through at him, shoots him with arrows, and then whacks him with the master sword. That's one heck of a bat belt that Link has there. Link advances." (From the Video Game Showdown)
+SEAL+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Distortion doesn't make it rock either. Prior to the sixties, most rock music was played fairly clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
That being said...no one really uses power chords. Unless you're in a punk band.
-shane
Chuck Berry has been using power chords since the 50's. There wasn't any punk rock back then.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
-shane
I use power chords. I'm not in a punk band. Our stuff isn't punk either.

Electric Guitar
Fender Standard Stratocaster

Acoustic Guitar
Ovation Celebrity GC057

Amplifiers
Fender FM 210R
Crate Power Block
Marshall MG412 Cabinet

Effects
GNX 3
Boss DS-1
B429R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Progressions don't make it rock either. I can play some rock songs with progressions found in classical songs.

What makes it rock is the "feel" of the song. The groove and the instrumentation.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
You do realize that power chords are just stripped down versions of other chords right? Instead of having 3 notes (like major or minor chords) or 4 (like 7th or other 'jazz' chords) it's just 2. Root-5th-Octave. That's what gives it the drive.

-shane
Pfft. "No one uses power chords".

You've gotta be kidding me! More people than just punk players use power chords. Many rock bands, most metal bands, etc. When you're using a very heavy distortion, you don't sound very good at all trying to do open chords. It just doesn't work. Now, I am no champion of using all power chords all the time, but you have to sometimes.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
When you're using a very heavy distortion, you don't sound very good at all trying to do open chords. It just doesn't work. Now, I am no champion of using all power chords all the time, but you have to sometimes.
just because you're not using open chords doesn't mean you're using power chords...I hope that's not what you're implying.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
just because you're not using open chords doesn't mean you're using power chords...I hope that's not what you're implying.
no, I am not implying that at all.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
ERG guitars > All

I think what gravity is trying to get at, is that there are certain chords that have a certain "personality"/"atmoshpere" when distorted. Of course this depends on muting and the type of distortion.

For example open chords and open ringing minor chords "typically" dont sound so great with heavy distortion.

Ill give you some tab examples of chords that have a strong personality when distorted

This is a semi-A bar shape chord with a "root inversion" I believe I havent really bothered to find out. Anyhoo...I start it at the 7th fret where it might be easier for you to finger but you can move that shape anywhere on the neck. I typically bar the three notes on the 11th fret with my pinky finger.

|-------|
|-11----|
|-11----|
|-11----|
|--9----|
|--7----|

Here is another variation on that theme

|-------|
|-11----|
|-11----|
|-11----|
|--9----|
|-11----|

Here is a major sounding chord that sounds great with distortion, again I start it at the 7th fret to make it easy to finger

|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
|--9----|
|--6----|
|--7----|

extended variation of this

|-------|
|-------|
|--9----|
|--6----|
|--7----|
|--4----|

another

|-------|
|-------|
|--7----|
|--5----|
|--x----|
|--7----|

Thats just a few off the top of my head
Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
For example open chords and open ringing minor chords "typically" dont sound so great with heavy distortion.
Of course, much of AC/DC's most popular songs were built off distorted open chords.

One thing that is rather important to note about the use of root-fifth "power chords" is that while the guitar might be playing the root and the fifth with no third, the third is still implied by the key of the song, among other things. Our ears will "fill in" the missing note, depending on what the song sounds like overall.

A song's chordal structure isn't affixed to the guitar's chords, it can also make itself up.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
ERG guitars > All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Of course, much of AC/DC's most popular songs were built off distorted open chords.
I was referring to your run of the mill full open cowboy major/minor chords. Which is not what AC/DC used typically

Also...AC/DC is not what I would consider "heavy" distortion.
Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
1 John 4:17

I don't play on electric a ton, but when I do, I can never find a good overdriven sound that doesn't make minor chords sound awful. What do you do to get a good sound with minor chords when you're overdriven?

Acoustic:
Taylor 814CE Acoustic Guitar

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote