Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
DANGER ZONE!
 
Reno Rattler's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Reno 911.
Posts: 10,076
Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
It's a sickness.....

I was browsing MF last weekend, checking out some amps. I accidentally found myself looking at guitars. One thing led to another, and I ended up buying one.

Gibson LP BFG. Blem at $800. It just got here today.

When I opened the case the P90 was flopping around. I was afraid for the worst, but upon inspection whoever finished the guitar just tightened the screws too much and during shipping it pulled the fastener thingys out. So I got it back together fine.

First impression, this is not your grand-daddy's Les Paul. My DC could be compared to a nice Caddy. Shiny and pretty. Civilized. This thing is like a 69 396 El Camino with no exhaust painted only in primer.

The finish takes some getting used to. But I like it. Neck is nice and chunky, medium-jumbo frets are very well finished.

The electronics sound awesome as well. This is my first P90. Where have you been all my life? I think I am in love.

I'll have some better pics later, and another review probably.

I give you Fred.


__________________
MOLON LABE
Reno Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
im baman
 
Sean.thomson's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2005
Location: dis baman's house
Posts: 3,514
[sourthern' accent] looks purdy [/southern' accent]
Sean.thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
power chord hater
 
snizzle's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,678
Nice. I think that MF's blem section is definately the place to be. Great deals on barely noticable (if at all) problems.
-shane
__________________
we were meant to live for so much more. have we lost ourselves?

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered User
 

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 391
Send a message via MSN to Luder
From the first time I saw it I still don't know where I stand on this guitar. I can't decide if I like it, hate it, or am in between. I guess I'd have to play one in person to decide. I'd be interested in a further review, and how you think it would compare to the other 800 dollar guitars out there.
__________________
Gear owned:

Schecter C-1 Elite with EMG 81/85

Sunlite Accoustic Electric

Digitech GNX3000

Vox da-15

Blackheart Little Giant Half Stack
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
gg7
retired from CGR. :)
 

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,517
So the P90 will be staying after all huh? Awesome.
I am curious how well it was setup.

Have you been able to find the blem? It seems it would be difficult on a guitar with a worn finish to begin with. It's kind of funny.
I like the white interior on the case. I've never seen that.
__________________
The artist formerly known as gg7 has moved on to where God has taken him, and is still traveling that road at the time of this message.
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
DANGER ZONE!
 
Reno Rattler's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Reno 911.
Posts: 10,076
Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7 View Post
So the P90 will be staying after all huh? Awesome.
I am curious how well it was setup.


Have you been able to find the blem? It seems it would be difficult on a guitar with a worn finish to begin with. It's kind of funny.
I like the white interior on the case. I've never seen that.
Well, a P90 will be staying, I don't know about that one yet. So far it sounds good.


Setup is mediocre. I like my action a little higher than a lot of people though, so it is pretty close to what I like. I'll be tweaking on it for a while to get it as good as I can.

Yeah, the blem is two small holes in the fretboard above the first fret. They almost look like the marks left from a staple.
__________________
MOLON LABE
Reno Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Pearl plays her guitar
 
Hopeful's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2004
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 4,404
Yes, you are sick! I like it. Maybe the blem was the floppy P-90.

Could you 'splain how the knobs work? Doesn't look like your standard LP configuration. It looks like the bridge volume knob is missing, but I'm sure it's a switch to split the coils on the bridge pickup. I could be wrong...
__________________
I've been humbled many times, but always for my own good!

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #8
DANGER ZONE!
 
Reno Rattler's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Reno 911.
Posts: 10,076
Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Yes, you are sick! I like it. Maybe the blem was the floppy P-90.

Could you 'splain how the knobs work? Doesn't look like your standard LP configuration. It looks like the bridge volume knob is missing, but I'm sure it's a switch to split the coils on the bridge pickup. I could be wrong...
No, it's not standard.

Two volumes, one tone. The three-way is located by the pots, and at the normal location of the three-way toggle is a kill switch.
__________________
MOLON LABE
Reno Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Registered User
 
AudioAUnderdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,005
Very, very nice. Congrats. XD
__________________
Main Rig>>

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
RECORDINGS.
__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Registered User
 

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 129
Wow, I've been looking at a BFG for a while, but won't have the funds for quite some time. Let me know what you think of it.
__________________
My Gear:

Electric Guitar
Fender Standard Stratocaster

Acoustic Guitar
Ovation Celebrity GC057

Amplifiers
Fender FM 210R
Crate Power Block
Marshall MG412 Cabinet

Effects
GNX 3
Boss DS-1
B429R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
Rey de CGR
Administrator
 
DaGeek's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 13,892
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
RECORDINGS.
I second the motion.

Nice guitar, by the way!
__________________
I am most definitely a guy.


Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cabong View Post
I was browsing MF last weekend, checking out some amps. I accidentally found myself looking at guitars. One thing led to another, and I ended up buying one.

Gibson LP BFG. Blem at $800. It just got here today.

When I opened the case the P90 was flopping around. I was afraid for the worst, but upon inspection whoever finished the guitar just tightened the screws too much and during shipping it pulled the fastener thingys out. So I got it back together fine.

First impression, this is not your grand-daddy's Les Paul. My DC could be compared to a nice Caddy. Shiny and pretty. Civilized. This thing is like a 69 396 El Camino with no exhaust painted only in primer.

The finish takes some getting used to. But I like it. Neck is nice and chunky, medium-jumbo frets are very well finished.

The electronics sound awesome as well. This is my first P90. Where have you been all my life? I think I am in love.

I'll have some better pics later, and another review probably.

I give you Fred.

what is the finish like on one of those? Is it rough sculpted?
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #14
DANGER ZONE!
 
Reno Rattler's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Reno 911.
Posts: 10,076
Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
RECORDINGS.
I will try sometime. Be patient though, I am pretty tuckered out right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
what is the finish like on one of those? Is it rough sculpted?
I believe it is a satin finish.
__________________
MOLON LABE
Reno Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #15
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cabong View Post
I believe it is a satin finish.
So the surface of the guitar is smooth? I am looking at it and well, it looks pretty crazy as a 2d photo.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2