Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #1

Gah... falsetto.

I've dreaded falsetto ever since I began singing... for me it's airy and ugly, and actually difficult to get into.

I've been singing for a while, and I try to avoid falsetto entirely, but it's a nice bonus to have when a song calls for it on a small part. You don't notice it when it's right, but when it's wrong it sticks out.

What are some good tips for strengthening and getting used to falsetto?

Nenkasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkasai View Post
I've dreaded falsetto ever since I began singing... for me it's airy and ugly, and actually difficult to get into.

I've been singing for a while, and I try to avoid falsetto entirely, but it's a nice bonus to have when a song calls for it on a small part. You don't notice it when it's right, but when it's wrong it sticks out.

What are some good tips for strengthening and getting used to falsetto?
One word. Practice.

Seriously. I have been working on developing my falsetto for quite some time. I have a very medium voice, meaning I'm a true baritone. That means that in a lot of rock song I can sing the Tenor part as long as they keep it low tenor. However, if it goes very high at all I have to use my falsetto because I don't have a huge chest range...

Let me clear up some myths about falsetto:

#1. You don't need to breathe from your diaphragm when singing falsetto. Sure, that's fine, if you want to sound like crap and not support your voice with air.

#2. You must be a tenor for good sounding Falsetto. Also false.

#3. There is some special technique that separates good falsetto from bad falsetto. Nothing special, just practice.

Tips for practice: get a tape recorder. Listen to Queen and Journey. (Freddie Mercury, BTW, was also a true Baritone). And finally, make sure your tongue is in the right position, this is true for when you're not singing falsetto, but it shows more when you are.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
However, if it goes very high at all I have to use my falsetto because I don't have a huge chest range...
Here's another myth:

Head Voice = Falsetto

False.
Chest Voice and Head Voice refer to where the resonance is focused.
Full Voice and Falsetto refer to how much of the vocal folds vibrate.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)

Last edited by presbystrat; 09-16-2007 at 05:45 PM.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
#2. You must be a tenor for good sounding Falsetto. Also false.
What's funny abou that is; I learned from my choir director, who was once a vocal coach, that most generally the lower your voice is the higher you will be able to get in falsetto.

Anyways, I would suggest practice, as AX said. One thing about that though, if you practice wrong you will continue doing it wrong. Use good posture, breath from you belly not your chest, and relax. If you don't relax it will sound forced, and like crap.