Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > CGR Members' Art, Music & Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Epic Clayail

Lake City Divide

ATTN: CGR

re: <a href="http://www.myspace.com/lakecitydivide">Lake City Divide</a>

The last time I started a thread in this sub-forum, I opened with a Tom Waits quote. I had one primed for this go-around, but I couldn't authenticate that it was really his statement, and not just a misattribution. That quote will come later, for now I will instead quote Vinnie Fiorello, drummer and lyricist of Less Than Jake:

<i>I always thought of music as more than words and sound/something more like inspiration that picks you off the ground</i>

We can all relate to these words. I heard them in early high school, and time has given me the perspective that artists that once seem to mean the world to you now (listen up, Sufjan Stevens and Arcade Fire fans) may not age as gracefully, while others that didn't seem as immediate have grown to be your favorites. Time always leaves its mark - place the opening demo and the final retrospective of any artist side by side, and you'll see a world of growth. It's somewhat chilling to encounter a band or songwriter that stays with the same sound album after album after album. One has to presume some sort of Faustian bargain went astray.

When Sean and I finished up the last e.p. we did together (under the revived Skasmonauts name), we immediately began talking about a follow-up. Modern technology has made it so anyone with the time and money (less and less of each required with each passing innovation in this digital age) can record a decent-sounding set of tracks.

Our follow-up ballooned from an e.p. to a twelve-song album that features guest appearances from signed recording artists as well as some of our oldest friends. The record is a concept album, with the tracks being the work of a fictional punk rock band stranded in small town South Carolina, with plenty of Lovecraftian sea monsters and (philosophical) zombies lurking in the metaphorical wings.

<i>The Streets of Ulysses!</i> (working title) was written over the course of...well, four years or more. Some of the songs were revivals of numbers from past projects (such as the posted "Walk Away (Dialtone in the Key of G)", which debuted in our old band Casual Friday - the trombone solo was recorded at an Austin studio four years ago), some had been demoed months or years previous (as is the case with the song "Shallows, Seaside," that started a folk/rocksteady cover of a Smashing Pumpkins song I arranged years ago), and many (the best, in my opinion) were written as a result of a trip to South Carolina where I was hosted by Sean and his wife for a busy week. We sat down and wrote half of the album from scratch, hashing out lyrics and music on long car rides (to see Lee Modlin) and mid-morning jam sessions.

So, Lake City Divide. We knew that the time for the nostalgic, tongue-in-cheek Skasmonauts sobriquet had passed, and we spent almost as much time devising a new name as we did writing the songs. We settled on taking the name of a yet-unrealized side project of mine that also lent one of its songs to the new album. I had selected the name for personal reasons, but it's more than fitting. Sean may not remember it yet, but that Lake City trip was the one where he and I reconciled after the break-up of Casual Friday. Sean and I have been buddies for years, musical allies for most of those, and over time we became friends, close friends, in spite of some heated periods and regrettable things said by both. A few of our mutual friends have told me that as a result we seem more like brothers than buddies.

So if the original Lake City trip represented a divide between two phases of our friendship, then this new album represents a musical progression. Most of our projects have been at their heart attempts to construct innovative, off-kilter pop, and Lake City Divide is no exception.

I'm excited to have folks hear this album as we post it piece by piece, leading up to eventual release (as a free download, natch). You'll hear a bit of the Rentals, a bit of the Toasters, a bit of Springsteen, a bit of Black Flag, but not in a scattered attempt to touch on as many styles as possible. Instead, I think we've done a solid job of blending what inspires us across a number of genres into our hearty power pop mix.

So, please (please) help us out - check out the songs, put them on your profile, add us as your MySpace friend, tell your friends offline and online about the divide crossing Lake City. And if you act quickly, it's still possible for you to appear on this album in a massive group of gang vocals - send Sean a private message and he'll see what can be done.

Oh yeah - the possible Tom Waits quote: "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things."

<b>This list will be updated as new tracks are posted</b>

2. His Beautiful Daylight Girl <i>DEMO</i>
10. Walk Away (Dialtone in the Key of G) <i>DEMO</i>

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
The People's

I am thoroughly excited.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Old School
Administrator

Are you going to enable the "add" function to the tracks? I'd love to have Walk Away as my profile song.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
no longer has long hair.

Send a message via AIM to guitarfan01 Send a message via MSN to guitarfan01 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarfan01
Whoo! 12 tracks!

I still need to download the Skasmonauts EP again, but it is not up. Lee, do you still have it?
Unread 08-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Leboman View Post
Are you going to enable the "add" function to the tracks? I'd love to have Walk Away as my profile song.
Whoops! I thought I had. It's doable now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarfan01 View Post
I still need to download the Skasmonauts EP again, but it is not up. Lee, do you still have it?
Ahhh, I'm so behind on non-work things. I just need to repost the links - they should be in the Skasmonauts thread though, just not on the MySpace.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Both of these songs have a bit of a history, so I thought I'd share it for anyone who's interested.

His Beautiful Daylight Girl:

I wrote the music for this song in the Fall of 2005 while living in the dorms. I wrote music for about 10 songs. All of them had roughly the same feel and arrangement. However, since I was living in a dorm, I was too shy to really work out any melodies or vocal lines. Then over Christmas break I decided I wanted to do a recording project which combined the synth pop of Hellogoodbye with the harsher "punk" vocals I had done with St. Joy. After a recording test vocals for a couple of songs (including His Beautiful Daylight Girl), I abandoned the project because I was unsatisfied with the results.

Skip forward a year....In early 2007 I was working on writing and recording (the theory of) Sean Chandler EP. Using some of the techniques I used for that EP, I started redoing some older songs as possible (theory of) or Skasmonauts tracks. One of those songs was His Beautiful Daylight Girl. However, I still didn't have a melody for the song. I started playing around with some ideas, and out of nowhere I started singing the lyrics and basic melody of "Walpurgis Night" by St. Joy (before I recorded the piano version it was originally a punk song). Then when we started working on the new album I sent that demo to Jeffrey (actually I think I sent it to him earlier), and it was one of the songs picked for the album. The chorus was rewritten and everything was rerecorded, but the basic melodies and music are the same.

Walk Away (Dialtone in the Key of G):

As mentioned before, this was originally a Casual Friday song, and we even recorded it in a professional studio. We really liked the horn solo, but some of the melodies weren't very strong and the arrangement was pretty thin in places (the band was a three piece and we were writing songs to play live). So it wasn't really one of the first songs to come to mind when we were choosing tracks for this album, and the decision to redo this song through a fairly round about way.

In several of our musical endeavors since Casual Friday we've tried to work the horn solo from this song into a new song. In fact, during the first Skasmonauts revival I wrote a song and worked the horn solo into that song. When we started working on this album I made a new demo of that song. Once again, we liked the horn solo, but the song just didn't work or fit what we were going for (someday I'll make a version that works...it has a lot of stuff I really like). Once again we were left with a horn solo but no song.

Whenever Jeffrey came out to South Carolina we were sitting around discussing possible tracks, and we once again came back to the horn solo. We tried writing a new song around the horn solo. We discussed adding the solo to another song on the album, but we weren't satisfied with any of the ideas we came up with. Then the idea came up, "Why not just redo 'Walk Away.'" We kind of liked that idea. Then we got the idea to have Lee sing on the song. Since we were going to see him in a couple days, this meant we had to get a working demo pretty quickly.

So over the next couple of day I programmed the song while Jeffrey re-wrote most of the lyrics. The song follows the basic structure of the original version very closely. I programmed the drum line and bass lines to essentially match the originals. The only major difference in the structure is that in the original version there was ska guitar under the horn solo. However, the arrangement was beafed up. We added the acoustic guitars, harmonies, and lead guitar, and we removed a lead part of the drum/bass dropout before the final chorus.

The original melody was at the very bottom of my vocal range, so I thought it would probably be better if Jeffrey sang on the song. He ended up redoing the verse melodies, but the chorus wasn't too terribly different (besides the lyrics). We also added the vocal "break down" in the bridge specifically for Lee (his vocals sound MUCH better than the ones I recorded). When we went to see Lee, we had him re-record the harmonies I recorded for the chorus and his break down during the bridge.

For the final BIG chorus I decided to reuse some of the vocals recorded 4 years. All of my vocals as well as those of the horn player were recorded 4 and half years ago. So it is quite accurate to say that this demo was recorded by engineers two engineers, in 3 different states, and over 5 years.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Last edited by Sean; 08-29-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
The People's

I was trying so hard to remember where I had heard "His Beautiful Daylight Girl" before...

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.

zXe
Unread 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #8

I have finally finished recording all of the primary guitar parts (a few touch ups may be required hear and there), and I have a couple of extra days off next week...so I should be able to do a major mixing session. So I should make a good amount progress over the next couple of weeks.

Unread 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Unfortunate News

Sean's apartment was ravaged by criminal scum, so all of the Lake City Divide tracks are missing. We have demoes of all sorts, so we may post those as a tribute to what was shaping up, but for now the songs are down for the count.

Still, we're more concerned about Sean's stuff. Satisfaction is the death of desire, and being attached to anything that isn't a day-to-day essential is a bad thing indeed. So until Sean's life returns to normalcy, art is secondary.

We are thankful that Sean was able to construct demoes of each track. One day we may be able to re-record the work.
My apartment was broken into, and they pretty much cleared the apartment of all the electronics, including the desktop containing the album and the digital recorder. Interestingly, while they stole one of my portable hard drives, they simply threw the other one on the ground. The one thrown on the ground was the one which had my exported demo files. So I have all of the mixes I had exported. Unfortunately there were a few mixes I had worked on, but I never exported. Of the 12 songs, I think we have solid demos/mixes with electric guitar on 10 of the songs. Two of the songs lack electric guitars or finalized vocals.

Unread 12-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
no longer has long hair.

Send a message via AIM to guitarfan01 Send a message via MSN to guitarfan01 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarfan01
This is unfortunate news, Sean. Very sorry to hear you were burgled.
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #11

I'm on Spring Break this week. So I finally have some disposable free time. I'm hoping to use some of this free time to finally get the Lake City Divide demos up. As I mentioned before, nine or ten of the tracks have solid demo mixes, but two or three of the tracks are missing important elements (final vocals/live guitars/decent mix). We'll most likely put up multiple versions of each song since none of these mixes are complete or final.

Unread 03-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
Mrs. Chandler :)

Perhaps they thought the other hard drive was something else? It looked pretty spiffy. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm glad you still have some parts of these songs...I thought you'd lost all of them.
Sean's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I'm on Spring Break this week. So I finally have some disposable free time. I'm hoping to use some of this free time to finally get the Lake City Divide demos up. As I mentioned before, nine or ten of the tracks have solid demo mixes, but two or three of the tracks are missing important elements (final vocals/live guitars/decent mix). We'll most likely put up multiple versions of each song since none of these mixes are complete or final.
I'm actually at Jeffrey's apartment, and we're sorting mixes and demos. So we're forward progress on getting these demos out. Since we're in the same state, these demos should see the light of day soon.

Unread 07-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #14
The People's

Woo! I'm so excited!

Pass it to Bulis!

zXe
Unread 08-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
My apartment was broken into, and they pretty much cleared the apartment of all the electronics, including the desktop containing the album and the digital recorder. Interestingly, while they stole one of my portable hard drives, they simply threw the other one on the ground. The one thrown on the ground was the one which had my exported demo files. So I have all of the mixes I had exported. Unfortunately there were a few mixes I had worked on, but I never exported. Of the 12 songs, I think we have solid demos/mixes with electric guitar on 10 of the songs. Two of the songs lack electric guitars or finalized vocals.
As a very late follow up...

This past week I put out an EP with some of my former students. The way it worked out it's a bit of a marker of the end of an era. And with that the project involved me picking a couple of songs I'd been working on for a number of years.

Of of those songs, Moment, was from the Lake City Divide. Of all the songs I've worked on, this is the one that's received the strongest response. While this is 95% a re-recorded version of the Lake City Divide version, the largest changes were to how I sang the verses and quite chorus (not really even a melody change).

If you're interested, please give it a listen!

iTUNES
http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1141...s=1&app=itunes

SPOTIFY
https://open.spotify.com/album/6O8m0umakO5g6HVZLkzvZ9