Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #1

Confidence in your vocals

How did you develop confidence in your vocals (if you have)?

Sometimes I feel like I'm a praise junkie. Not just praise and worship music (although that too) but that I'm somewhat addicted to the backpatting that I got early on. Since I don't get it as much anymore, I constantly question my abilities.

Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
power chord hater

Sing. A lot. That's really the only way.

You can't fake it. You basically just sing until you are confident. I would suggest singing to a very nice, forgiving audience to build your confidence. Perhaps a nursing home?
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Sing. A lot. That's really the only way.

You can't fake it. You basically just sing until you are confident. I would suggest singing to a very nice, forgiving audience to build your confidence. Perhaps a nursing home?
-shane
I do sing a lot. I sing every other week at our contemporary mass. I sing lead. I solo quite often. It's not fear any more. I know I'm not going to die when I get up there. It's more of a feeling of inadequacy. I work through it, but it's still there. I think it's just the lack of continuing positive feedback. I got a lot at the beginning that got me over the fear. I don't know if there is enough praise to fill the void of my insecurities.
Unread 08-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Proud to be irish

Chances are, you're pretty good. Just because people don't compliment you doesn't mean that you're not good.

*realizes this is CPF*

I think...I may have just pwnt myself.
Oh!Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
I do sing a lot. I sing every other week at our contemporary mass. I sing lead. I solo quite often. It's not fear any more. I know I'm not going to die when I get up there. It's more of a feeling of inadequacy. I work through it, but it's still there. I think it's just the lack of continuing positive feedback. I got a lot at the beginning that got me over the fear. I don't know if there is enough praise to fill the void of my insecurities.
You won't get that constant praise man, sorry. Get a very loving girlfriend...or a dog. Other than that people will say nice things at first to make you feel comfortable (or just to start conversation) and they taper off as people get more familiar with you. It has nothing to do with your skill level, just the way people are.

You don't need to let your vocal ability be dependend on what people think (or say) about you. If you are not confident in yourself (no matter what people say) your vocals will lack and people will notice. If you are confident, people will notice that as well. But you can't expect people to constantly compliment you.

Case in point: I've been the worship leader at my new church for about 8 months now. I still get a lot of positive feedback but it definately has rolled off since the first few weeks. The feedback that I do get? Well, it doesn't depend on me at all. It's just old people being nice. On my crappiest Sundays I get the same response as on my best. People are finnicky.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Moo.

Send a message via MSN to _maranatha
Who are you singing for? Are you signing for an audience or are you lifting your voice to the Father above? I'm pretty sure he doesn't care how you sing. Sing to Him.. lift your heart and voice to God and don't worry about the people in the audience..
Gladly for aye we adore Him.
_maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
You won't get that constant praise man, sorry. Get a very loving girlfriend...or a dog. Other than that people will say nice things at first to make you feel comfortable (or just to start conversation) and they taper off as people get more familiar with you. It has nothing to do with your skill level, just the way people are.

<snip>
-shane
I know. Sounds pretty needy when I say it out loud. I'll practice my Stuart Smalley Daily Affirmations and shut up now.
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Schofield View Post
Who are you singing for? Are you signing for an audience or are you lifting your voice to the Father above? I'm pretty sure he doesn't care how you sing. Sing to Him.. lift your heart and voice to God and don't worry about the people in the audience..
Well, I'd agree if I was singing in the pews. However, when you're leading the worship songs you can really help people worship or hinder them. I guess that's what I really want to know...am I enhancing their experience or not. The feedback's both an ego stroke and a way to gauge that.
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
power chord hater

You could pass out comment cards one Sunday. Put them in the pews and let people know that you are trying to gauge the feedback of the worship service. Ask the questions you want to know and leave a big space for answers. We send a questionairre to all of our visitors with the same kind of thing. We get great, real responses.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
You could pass out comment cards one Sunday. Put them in the pews and let people know that you are trying to gauge the feedback of the worship service. Ask the questions you want to know and leave a big space for answers. We send a questionairre to all of our visitors with the same kind of thing. We get great, real responses.
-shane
That's a pretty good idea. I'd need approval before doing that, but we might get a lot of good feedback if we had a way for suggestions to flow.