Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #61
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele The Truth View Post
I realise that I'm the new guy and the statement I'm about to make is most likely out of line.........but the direction this thread has taken is starting to get kind of petty and doesn't really help the OP at all.

There's got be a different way to approach this using a more positive train of thought.
*Go to my happy place, go to my happy place...*

Hey, this is the intarweb. If a thread DIDN'T go off-topic then something would be wrong in the world.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #62
ERG guitars > All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele The Truth View Post
I realise that I'm the new guy and the statement I'm about to make is most likely out of line.........but the direction this thread has taken is starting to get kind of petty and doesn't really help the OP at all.

There's got be a different way to approach this using a more positive train of thought.
People are passionate about music and the guitar. So when someone bloviates on the topic its hard to ignore. Best thing you can do is offer something positive and back on topic IMO.....
Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #63
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
So, let's talk about puppies. I love puppies. Lots of them are so cute, and cuddly! I mean there was once this little baby lab that was sooooo sweet! Thoughts?

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #64
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
So, let's talk about puppies. I love puppies. Lots of them are so cute, and cuddly! I mean there was once this little baby lab that was sooooo sweet!
This is all just your OPINION, correct?

I mean, seriously, some folks DON'T love puppies...

I wonder if Jimi Hendrix loved puppies?
If so (or not) did that love (or unlove) contribute to his guitarin skillz?
Would someone who wanted to be like him also have to love (or unlove) puppies as he did?

See, THAT is the easy process to help us find our way back from the off-topic rabbit trails that we so easily take ourselves on.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #65
Your car crash eyes...

I like puppies, but kitties are better!
Unread 08-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #66
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Alright. BACK ON TOPIC Y'ALL.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #67
Dogbert's back!

My thoughts... I'm not really sure it's logically possible to say that someone is "the best" because what qualifies as good, better or best is entirely subjective. I think Joe Satch is the best guitarist out there, but others think that way of Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen. My reason for picking Joe would be because of his great musicianship, but what if technical skills were more important to someone, or crazy showmanship? In that case, Steve Vai would probably be the "best." Jimi Hendrix probably qualifies as "the best" to some people because he did something with the guitar that no one else has really done before; that certainly makes him original, but what if originality isn't the most important thing to someone? In concerns to technical skill, one could say that Joe, Steve, Yngwie, or many of the other virtuosos out there are very much "better." Yes, Hendrix revolutionized guitar playing, but to say that he is the best ever or the end-all is, in my opinion, saying that he was so good that he left no room for improvement. Since then though, there has been incredible innovation in the world of guitar, and much of what Hendrix did is still being expanded upon and being used as a foundation, though even Hendrix had a "teacher" whom he learned from. I wonder why we never hear of that guy?

Another thing too is that I think Hendrix is really popular because he died right in the peak of his career. His career was about 4 years long, and he had a very strong following, and no one really got to see him decline and progressively become more unoriginal and less appealing. The same thing happened with Nirvana, in my opinion, because when Cobain committed suicide, they were still very popular. And as has been said on this thread, not everyone likes Cobain. And, frankly, Hendrix doesn't really appeal to me.

In short, I wouldn't worry about trying to be "better" than Hendrix, because "better" is all in the mind. Everyone's mind is different, and you can't please everyone. Besides, the world of music is not done growing. Music will again at some point begin revolutionizing, and there will probably be one figure at that time who will stand out above the rest and probably dwarf Hendrix to non-existence. The best advice I really can offer is to render your guitar playing as a service to God. Maybe God will call you to be famous and somehow revolutionize guitar, but live in the moment, and enjoy the things you can do now. In everything, work towards building and achieving things that will never die away, things that will endure when tested by the fire.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote