Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #16
so much

You shouldn't be wasting time on CGR if your goal is to become the next Hendrix. Nearly all of the great guitarists surely practice(d) at least 7 or 8 hours a day every day, if not more. I've heard of some who practice up to 15 hours a day every day.

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
I'm Not Really Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
First of all, accept that you will never be unequivocally greater than Hendrix. And you probably will not even come all that close. If this bugs you, quite honestly, I think your ego is probably far too big. Are you in the top 10 of the millions of guitarists on this planet?

I doubt it.

Play your best, and keep learning, but until you have chops that are on par with Hendrix, it would probably be wise to not talk about being the next Hendrix. Talk is cheap. The last time I heard a kid talking like that, he actually gave me quite a few bashes about how I couldn't play like him. I handed him my guitar. He hacked out about 5 chords. I proceeded to play the opening of tocatta and fugue in Dm.

I am no master, I realize that, but at the same time, its far more pleasant to play with skilled guitarists without an ego. Both of the lead guitarists at my church are absolutely humble. Yet from what I have heard, one can play the entire Jeff Beck and Hendrix catalog from memory, and one is an absolute shred wizard who can play with heart and soul as well. I am their way underling. Sometimes I wonder why they keep me around to be blatantly honest, except that I am a good at arrangements and a pretty solid rhythm guitar. I have played pretty hardcore for somewhere more than 12 years. My neighbors like it when I dime my amps and actually stop to listen. One of the important things though is to know accurately where your skill level falls enough to be confident enough to play on your level, but also not to have your pride invested in being number one in the world.

In short, prove it, don't say it. It comes off really prideful, and if people are saying this, it sounds like you honestly talk too much about your own level. And non-guitarists buy the cd's of the world. Like it or not, they are the judges of talent.
Bill, I wish I had your neighbors.

I don't think its right to accept that you will never be the best. If you just arbitrarily decide that you will never be as good as Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai, then what is the motivation to try? I mean, one should keep it in check. People with huge egos piss me off royally. But I do think its healthy to have a bit of one.

I would love it if I could play like Paul Gilbert. His technical skill blows me away. I've tried playing obscenely fast. I've tried sweeping. I'm just not at that level... yet. And while I accept that chances are I will, in fact, never be better than him, I still recognize that with enough practice and dedication, I could be among the top ten best. And its that chance that keeps me practicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
You shouldn't be wasting time on CGR if your goal is to become the next Hendrix. Nearly all of the great guitarists surely practice(d) at least 7 or 8 hours a day every day, if not more. I've heard of some who practice up to 15 hours a day every day.
Malmsteen dropped out of school to play guitar.
Unread 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #18
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
There's been a lot of wisdom shared in this thread.
I hope folks take notice of it and put it into action, especially the words of Nate:
"You shouldn't be wasting time on CGR if your goal is to become the next Hendrix. Nearly all of the great guitarists surely practice(d) at least 7 or 8 hours a day every day, if not more. I've heard of some who practice up to 15 hours a day every day."

imho, "great" guitarists don't spend their time in fruitless pursuits and chatting on teh intarweb.

Also, aim higher than trying to be like Hendrix. For whatever positive musical influence he had, he also had influence on the sex and drug use of his culture which killed him and many of his contemporaries and still is taking it's toll today.

Also also, be realistic about your abilities, be able to take criticism when it comes your way and don't underestimate your ability to positively influence others in more ways that just playing the guitar. Maybe you won't play like Jimi. Maybe there's some truth to the criticisms of non-musicians. Maybe your sphere of influence will be rather small and maybe it won't be as a result of playing a musical instrument.
Maybe your ego needs a reality check so that you remember that this is not all about you...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #19
sir.

Send a message via AIM to sabertooth181 Send a message via MSN to sabertooth181
Whatever happened to playing guitar for fun?
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertooth181 View Post
"if it isn't making dollars then it isn't making sense"...?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #21
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
"if it isn't making dollars then it isn't making sense"...?
(that just made my day Steve. )

That said, my ambition with my guitar playing is to someday be as good as gtrdave. Then I'll be happy.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
(that just made my day Steve. )
I do what I can...

my goal with guitar is to make some one happy with my playing...I feel like I reach my goal on a regular basis

I'm a podcaster

Last edited by thesteve; 08-20-2007 at 11:49 AM.
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #23

Quote:
That's pretty much why I started playing.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #24
so much

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with playing guitar for fun... but that wasn't the stated goal of the original poster here. He said he wanted to be the next Hendrix. You don't get to be at the level of Hendrix just playing as a hobbyist "for fun." If that's really, truly, madly, deeply (heh) your goal, you need to be working, not having fun.

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post

That said, my ambition with my guitar playing is to someday be as good as gtrdave. Then I'll be happy.

My goal with guitar, aside from glorifying God, which is a worthy goal , is to be able to express myself and what I'm feeling with it. I want to be able to visualize something, then play it. Often, I'll feel something, and try to put it to notes, but fail... I want to get to where I don't fail with that. I also wouldn't mind others liking how I express myself .

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #26
ERG guitars > All

Quote:
Woodshedding till I have bleeding callouses on my fingers and a guitar whelp on my chest is my idea of fun

Woodshedding your technique can be very tedious at times but when you bust out those multiposition sweeps during your gig and see everyone else doing this , It makes it all worth while. Honing good technique should be a goal of any pro musician. The more techinique you know, the more tools you have to unleash your musical ideas from your mind.

As to the subject at hand. I do think it is wrong for people to try to limit others or themselves. They dont know you or what your true potential is. No you shouldnt copycat someone elses style but there is nothing to say that your own potential is not as great as someone like hendrix. Though it may be in a different area then his innovations.

If you know in your heart that your destiny is to be one of the best and you have the drive to do it. Dont let anyone elses bloviating about what you can and cant do phase you at all. I dont think its arrogant to express a desire to be the best you can. Dont let people scare you away from achieving. Its okay to believe in yourself as long as you dont get lost in the arrogance of thinking your above reproach or criticism.

I also would say I dont agree with the 7 or 8 hour a day practice regime. When your first developing technique there may be times when such long practices are fruitfull because your absorbing so much new yet easy to grasp concepts and applications. Once you get basic intermediate technique and start onto advanced concepts your coordination is there. It starts becoming more about quality and consistent practice then about coordination building repitition. 2-3 hours of consistent quality practice can move you lightyears in your techinique as long as your focused and commited.
Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
If that's really, truly, madly, deeply (heh) your goal, you need to be working, not having fun.
Some people have fun while they work.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 08-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideAwake View Post
While there have been many great guitar players that can probably play both EVH and Hendrix note for note - those guys still are unmatched today, imho, because they were the original.
I would add Randy Rhoads to that very, very short list.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
Beware the Chinchilla's Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenacen View Post
Aye, I do understand where you're coming from.

I've come across a few barriers as a guitar player. For one thing, I've never been that good with a beat. I was always off beat when clapping at church. That's changed though. I think I've still got a bit to go as far as timing goes, and syncopated rhythms do tend to scare me still, but bit by bit it's getting better. I could've just listened to everyone who said, "You can't keep a beat" whilst slyly making fun of me and called it quits... I'm certainly glad I didn't, because I'm finding out more and more that I can; I just haven't had enough practice. I'm also learning tougher and tougher songs, songs that I looked at before and thought, "Wow, that feels so far off for me." Can't say I feel that way now. Some songs I want to be able to play feel so close to being a reality I can almost taste them.
I know a guitarist who plaid most of 2112 by Rush after listing to it once, and he plaid it to a T, but he couldn't keep a beat for his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
That's pretty much why I started playing.

I started playing after I got into Pink Floyd, after hearing Wish you Were Here I wanted to play for some reason.

My blog
I'd arrest you if I had handcuffs.
Chinchilla of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #30
Not Of This World

Send a message via AIM to NOTWGuitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
I would add Randy Rhoads to that very, very short list.
agreed
We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jesus Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment. Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists."-
Martin Luther King Jr. (From 'Letter from a Birmingham Jail')
NOTWGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote