Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Defining Marty Sampson's Voice

im wondering how he makes his voice sound so different. is there something he does different? like his voice is airy but sounds still good. even if it could be "bad" somehow..i still wanna know plz.

kodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

He's just a tenor with an Australian accent. I can't hear any unique technique other than singing on key.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #3

hmm have you heard

forever
free
look to you

all of em are by hillsong

it seems as if hes tensing up this neck(some sort of technique?) as he sings the high notes, and sometimes the low and middle notes.
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
1 John 4:17

Are you sure he's a tenor? In the verses of certain songs, he gets pretty low (I think I've heard him hit a low A), and he seems to use his head voice a lot on the high notes (like the bridge on "Take All Of Me".

Acoustic:
Taylor 814CE Acoustic Guitar

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Eaten by a grue

He has a dreamy falsetto. It's not even like falsetto. It's like liquid awesome coming out of his mouth.
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodancer View Post
it seems as if hes tensing up this neck(some sort of technique?)
Yeah, bad technique. He's closing off his throat a lot and that is not good for the vocal chords. The breathiness isn't necessarily bad for the voice although sometimes he is adding some grittiness to it which could do some damage if done too much.

I don't think he is a good singer to emulate if you want to learn good technique. It hurts my throat to listen to him for too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Are you sure he's a tenor? In the verses of certain songs, he gets pretty low (I think I've heard him hit a low A), and he seems to use his head voice a lot on the high notes (like the bridge on "Take All Of Me".
A low A is completely in the range of a tenor; it is for me anyway. By "head voice" do you mean falsetto? I can access my falsetto range starting at a middle C.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)

Last edited by presbystrat; 10-07-2007 at 02:25 PM.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #7

I'm not sure if it's falsetto or head voice (I'm not sure what the exact difference is between them). I can sing most of the stuff he does, but I have a hard time hitting the top notes without straining, but at least I know that what I hear has probably been fixed. Sometimes if you watch the videos, he does look like he's in pain sometimes, so at least I'm not the only one who has that problem eh?

Acoustic:

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Unread 10-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's falsetto or head voice (I'm not sure what the exact difference is between them).
Head voice has to do with where you focus the sound. Falsetto has to do with how much of the vocal chords you use. Falsetto only uses the top part of the vocal chords. Don't feel bad. Nobody else around here seems to know the difference either. It's kind of a pet peave of mine.

Quote:
Sometimes if you watch the videos, he does look like he's in pain sometimes, so at least I'm not the only one who has that problem eh?
If a the muscles in a person's neck look tight, then they are probably straining.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
Unread 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #9

Even if he looks like he's straining, I have a whole lot harder time singing his songs than he seems to. I just wish that I had the range that he has. Any advice on what I can do to develop that kind of range?

Acoustic:

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Unread 10-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Even if he looks like he's straining, I have a whole lot harder time singing his songs than he seems to. I just wish that I had the range that he has. Any advice on what I can do to develop that kind of range?
Some people just can't have that kind of range. It's all in your personal biology and all the practice in the world wont make a bass a tenor. You can practice and do techniques to EXPAND your range and extend it, but you can only do it so much before your voice reaches it's limits.

Adam, I don't know how young you are but if you're 18+ and can't sing the lower tenor range, then you'll never be a tenor. I know that sounds harsh but I'm being honest. If you're getting to that age then your voice has already begun to set, and while it can shift it's not a huge shift.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #11

Actually, if you wanted to know how old I am, I'm 24. I didn't say that I couldn't sing his songs, I just meant that I struggle with some of them. As far as my range, I've gone as high as an Ab without going falsetto - I just can't get up there and stay up there, so I'm fairly sure that I'm some kind of baritone.

Acoustic:

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Unread 10-14-2007, 09:46 PM   #12
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Actually, if you wanted to know how old I am, I'm 24. I didn't say that I couldn't sing his songs, I just meant that I struggle with some of them. As far as my range, I've gone as high as an Ab without going falsetto - I just can't get up there and stay up there, so I'm fairly sure that I'm some kind of baritone.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude... ... hmm... I don't know, your voice should be settling at this age so it's got to be something wrong with your technique... Do you have a vocal instructor? It's hard to diagnose what you're doing wrong over the internet, I'd say though that it's probably a lack of air support... make sure you breath at every opportunity you can.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 10-15-2007, 07:10 AM   #13
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
As far as my range, I've gone as high as an Ab without going falsetto - I just can't get up there and stay up there, so I'm fairly sure that I'm some kind of baritone.
You're not necessarily a baritone. I highly suggest vocal lessons if you have never had any. You would be amazed at what good technique can do for you. A lot of vocal technique is impossible to teach without face-to-face lessons. I think you should also pick a singer with better technique to emulate.

Unread 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #14

I think I've said it before...I've taken voice lessons for almost a year now. They're helping a bit, but I still have issues with straining for high notes. About finding other singers to emulate...the thing is, I really like doing the kind of energetic praise songs that you hear from guys like Marty Sampson, Joel Houston, and the like. I'm sure that his technique is still light years ahead of mine. Could you suggest someone else who would have a better technique? What about someone like Chris Tomlin? Now I'm even more confused - you don't think I'm necessarily a baritone? I'm sorry if I'm becoming a bother.

Acoustic:

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Unread 10-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #15

imo, you could just change pitches. it might not work well with some hillsong songs since it has such a big of a range, such as from the inside out or take it all, etc.

what i said is just extra info, kinda out of the subject but it could help.