Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #1

Where to Complain to?

I bought a Epi Les Paul here in Canada in January. IN the first 2 weeks of owning it the strap holder fell out, and the jack went loose and fell out. They were minor problems so i didnt really mind. My strap holders ocassionaly got loose and fell out but i just screwed them back in. Then last week i was playing at this missions training thing. It was a week long thing and on the last day the strap holder on the neck side fell out with a chunk of wood with it. I was sooo pissed. I had to put a whole bunch of toothpicks in the hole to fix it. I want to complain to epiphone. I live in Canada so would i be complaining to gibson usa or the company that imports the gibson products into Canada (Yorkville)? Do you think warrenty might cover this stuff and they may possibly replace the guitar to another one without any problems?

joshua.lee.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.lee.90 View Post
I bought a Epi Les Paul here in Canada in January. IN the first 2 weeks of owning it the strap holder fell out, and the jack went loose and fell out. They were minor problems so i didnt really mind. My strap holders ocassionaly got loose and fell out but i just screwed them back in. Then last week i was playing at this missions training thing. It was a week long thing and on the last day the strap holder on the neck side fell out with a chunk of wood with it. I was sooo pissed. I had to put a whole bunch of toothpicks in the hole to fix it. I want to complain to epiphone. I live in Canada so would i be complaining to gibson usa or the company that imports the gibson products into Canada (Yorkville)? Do you think warrenty might cover this stuff and they may possibly replace the guitar to another one without any problems?
Not really sure about the international thing. I'd contact Gibson USA and they can route you elsewhere if need be. How long have you had this guitar? It may still be under store warranty.

Ah yes, which brings me to my next point: straplocks. Buy them. Live them. Love them.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #3

lol i do have strap locks its not the strap that fell off. It was the whole screw. It is still under warranty. But the thing is i fixed it temporarly. The feeling i have is that they will say i misused the guitar or something which i havent.
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
lol i do have strap locks its not the strap that fell off. It was the whole screw. It is still under warranty. But the thing is i fixed it temporarly. The feeling i have is that they will say i misused the guitar or something which i havent.
the slipping screw is a common issue with some guitars with straplocks. often the screws given with straplocks are either thinner or shorter than the stock screws...I realize it's too late to tell you this now though.

I would also look at contacting Gibson USA for where to go with the problem.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
power chord hater

Quote:

Are we talking about the same thing? The main part of the straplock system is a longer screw that replaces the short screw that comes standard on most guitars.

If you've installed straplocks and you're still having problems there's either something weird going on with the wood in your guitar or you may have installed them incorrectly.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Are we talking about the same thing? The main part of the straplock system is a longer screw that replaces the short screw that comes standard on most guitars.
Interesting...all of the screws I've seen in the straplocks I've had were shorter than the stock screws they were replacing.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
power chord hater

It's been a few years since i've put mine on but I thought they were longer or fatter? What else would be the point of them? It wouldn't make much since to put in a shorter, thinner screw and expect it to hold better than the normal screw.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #8

When i first put them on it was longer and thicker than the stock screws and when i first put them on they were snug. But the screws fell out even before i put on straplocks and i am pretty sure i installed the locks correctly all you have to do is screw them in straight correct? I just emailed gibson canada and hopefully its the right place.
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
It's been a few years since i've put mine on but I thought they were longer or fatter? What else would be the point of them? It wouldn't make much since to put in a shorter, thinner screw and expect it to hold better than the normal screw.
-shane
Mine were the same thickness but shorter...and since they were going into a hole that had been used alot in a softer wood guitar, they weren't really that effective and ended up stripping out the hole pretty quickly.

the whole point of straplocks is to lock your strap to the body with the locking mechanism...I'm sure the screws work fine for alot of guitars, I just needed new screws to get mine to work.

Quote:
When i first put them on it was longer and thicker than the stock screws and when i first put them on they were snug. But the screws fell out even before i put on straplocks and i am pretty sure i installed the locks correctly all you have to do is screw them in straight correct? I just emailed gibson canada and hopefully its the right place.
you put put the body lug on just like any other strap pin.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
power chord hater

Now that I think about it, it seems like a used the straplock system but used longer, thicker heavy duty screws instead of the ones they give you.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #11

Even if you switched the screws the screws i got with my straplocks were longer and thicker. Argh lol I should of bout a strat. lol I just go turned off of strats after owning my squier. Hopefully Gibson replies back soon.
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #12
Baby #2 is here!

Send a message via AIM to RipVanWinkle
Back to the original question...

Installing straplocks may have voided any warranty in this matter.

Gibson DC Std/Charvel TX Custom/MIK Fender Strat > Vol Pedal > Dano CC Drive > Dano CC Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby > Dano CC Tremolo > Boss DD-5 > Korg 301dl/XTLive > Blackstar HT-20; Yamaha FGX730SCA

Check out my new Youth Ministry blog, www.studentswilleatyou.blogspot.com , leave a comment if you're from CGR!

RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post

Maybe, maybe not. It's worth a call/email to see if anything can be done.

Remember with anything customer service related, if you don't get the answer you're looking for from the initial person you're speaking to, ask for someone else higher up the food chain...a manager or whatever.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #14
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post

If that didn't do it, the fact that he attempted to fix it likely did void the warranty.

I agree that it's still worth trying though. You never know.
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Interesting...all of the screws I've seen in the straplocks I've had were shorter than the stock screws they were replacing.
my dunlop sets (I have installed 6+) were all longer or the same length, but substantially thinner. My guess is this is the case with the OP, because you have to put glue and toothpicks in preventatively to prevent what happened to him happening.

If you are using dunlop straplocks... they are more narrow than a stock epiphone strap screw. I have replaced that myself before. Also, the symptoms match that problem.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote