Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #1

Recommend me some pickups

I'm looking at replacing some pickups in my 80's G&L Legacy. More specifically, looking at an option for the bridge pickup. I almost never find myself switching over to my bridge even for soloing. The tone is too trebley and brittle for me, so I'm looking for something to "warm it up" a bit.

The mid and neck pups are fairly good as well, but if you can make me a good recommendation for those as well, I'd be grateful, but it's not as big a deal as the bridge pup.

The style of music I usually play is in the Hillsong United to U2 range of tones, though occasionally I will play a Relient K or a Hawk Nelson song.

Hope that helps and thanks in advance!

CortLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Livin 4 JC

bridge p/ups usually have that trebly clean tone.. so i dont think if u change the p/up ull have a big difference..
of course idk ur exact situation..

im a newb at electrics but ive heard a lot of ppl like seymour duncans..
EMG's also sound really good..

of course im a newb..lol
i think maybe u shud go to guitar center or sam ash just to see the sound of the other bridge p/ups.. cuz it may just be ur taste... play some guitars that are around the same price as urs

good luck
guitar-man_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

I recently installed some Fender Vintage Noiseless pups on a cheap strat knock-off. They are, as the name claims, remarkably quiet for single coils.

In addition, the part that might interest you, is that some people don't like the fact that they are a little less trebley than traditional Fender pickups. They also come with a set of tone and volume pots. For guitars that are darker-sounding to begin with this might be an issue; but if yours tends to sound too bright to begin with, they might be the answer. That was the case with my Strat knock-off; the bridge position was piercing and unusable. The treble roll-off of the Vintage Noiseless pups was perfect.

One problem is...they ain't cheap. But I've found them to be very warm, smooth, perfect for the Edge-type clean tones I wanted, while still retaining the chimeyness and other positive characteristics of single coils.
plawren53202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #4

I've been contemplating a pickup change with my 90's G&L Legacy, too. The stock Duncans are nice, but I want more from the bridge. I'm leaning towards a Duncan Lil 59 or maybe one of the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage or Area pickups. Check out Dimarzio's and Seymour Duncan's websites - they have good descriptions of each pickup and soundclips for most of them.
Keith L is offline   Reply With Quote