Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2002, 11:29 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to windmillninja Send a message via Yahoo to windmillninja
Question about Langjans

I'm a HUGE Third Day fan and have recently discovered that Mac Powell traded in his Epiphone acoustic for a Langjan that was given to him. I was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with them and could give me their opinion on they're playability and where I could get one if I felt so inclined. Thanks!

"All the rumors are true. I don't know about you, but I know there's more to this." -Third Day

"Last breath before the candle flickers out, I will speak the name of Jesus." -OC Supertones
windmillninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-09-2002, 11:58 PM   #2
MISTER agreeable to you.

I just did a google search, and the only reference to Langjan and guitar on any web page they have indexed (which is quite a lot, obviously) is Mac Powell's gear list. No reference on any newsgroup, either.

There are tons of small luthiers who make just a couple of really great instruments a year, so maybe that's it. Or maybe it's a type. Who knows.

You should email their management and ask them about it. They might know.
MisterAgreeable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 12:02 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to windmillninja Send a message via Yahoo to windmillninja
Cool. Thanks alot for the info.

"All the rumors are true. I don't know about you, but I know there's more to this." -Third Day

"Last breath before the candle flickers out, I will speak the name of Jesus." -OC Supertones
windmillninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 01:24 AM   #4
MISTER agreeable to you.

I meant "maybe it's a typo" up there, by the way.

Anyways, if you do find something out, tell us. I've never heard of a musician using something that obscure that I can't find any reference anywhere to it.
Unread 01-10-2002, 10:48 AM   #5
Good Grief!!!

I got my Taylor in his shop

Del Langejans is a luthier who lives and works in Holland, Michigan. If you ever go there, his shop is in the downtown 8th Street mall. It used to be called Del's Music. A couple years ago, Firehouse Music (based in Grand Rapids, Michigan) bought enough of the business that the name changed to Firehouse Music. However, Del still has his shop there and makes Langejans guitars there.

Del's guitars are highly regarded by many artists. He made one for Phil Keaggy, and Phil uses that guitar as his primary concert guitar and also features it in his "Acoustic Sketches" record. Wes King plays one. I guess Mac Powell does too (though I had not heard that before this thread). I know that he does make a point of inviting Christian recording artists (especially guitarists) to tour the shop when they're in the neighborhood for a concert....

I went to college at a small liberal arts school named Hope College right down the street from Del's shop. My friends and I hung out there often, dreaming of the day when we'd have the money to place our names on the waiting list for a Langejans guitar (the wait can be several years). However, I ended up with a Taylor that was purchased in his shop. His shop also installed the pickup that I selected several months later.

To make a long story short, you'd have to search long and hard (and even then I don't know if you would find) a better sounding acoustic guitar or a more skilled luthier. But, if you met Del out on the street, you'd never know it. He's generally a pretty quiet, humble guy.

Any more questions?

Nate

P.S Here's a link to his shop's website: www.langejansguitars.com

Last edited by nate95366; 01-10-2002 at 10:57 AM.
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 06:11 PM   #6
MISTER agreeable to you.

Wow, thanks a lot for the info. Maybe someone really should email Third Day's management. You'd think they'd have the courtesy to spell the guy's name right.
Unread 01-11-2002, 01:18 PM   #7
Good Grief!!!

It's very easy to spell his last name wrong. I've done it many other times on these boards. Sometimes I resort to the web address to "get it right."

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote