Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should you listen to secular music?
It's not really a big deal 155 64.58%
No, you should not listen to secular music 44 18.33%
You should listen to Secular Music 41 17.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #886
beat
 
Than's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2003
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 6,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
And less exclamation points.
I'm guessing that your satan music probably prompted you to say that, as well!

__________________



Than is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #887
Prog Snob Extraordinaire
 

Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 856
Is 'Liberate', by Disturbed, blasphemous?

I don't listen to Disturbed on a regular basis, but this song has me confused. It has something (I think) from the Bible: "Out of Zion shall come forth a law
And the word of the Lord from Jerusalem
Nation shall not raise sword against nation
And they shall not learn war anymore"

Then it says that he is still waiting for the 'Modern Messiah' to come, and the 'Modern Messiah' is himself.

He also sings some really nasty cusses in that song (reason enough for me not to listen to Disturbed).

Is David (from Disturbed) taking a stab against Christianity, or for that matter, God?
__________________
The road from rags to riches leads nowhere...
Drew Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #888
Registered User
 

Joined: Dec 2002
Location: in a crappy little trailer in a crappy little town in SC, the crappiest state of them all...
Posts: 199
Send a message via AIM to gypsymoth
huh? where does he say he's the messiah? i know it says "still awaiting I"; but i always thought he meant "I'm still awaiting". if he meant he was the one being waited for, he should've said "still awaiting me". maybe it's just bad grammar, but i thought that he, having almost become a lawyer, was more intelligent than that.
gypsymoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 11:10 PM   #889
beat
 
Than's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2003
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 6,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattletrapmusic
I don't listen to Disturbed on a regular basis, but this song has me confused. It has something (I think) from the Bible: "Out of Zion shall come forth a law
And the word of the Lord from Jerusalem
Nation shall not raise sword against nation
And they shall not learn war anymore"

Then it says that he is still waiting for the 'Modern Messiah' to come, and the 'Modern Messiah' is himself.

He also sings some really nasty cusses in that song (reason enough for me not to listen to Disturbed).

Is David (from Disturbed) taking a stab against Christianity, or for that matter, God?
No he's an Orthodox Jew, and on this album (I think) he was going back and getting back into his religious beliefs. Jews don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah. So he was more affirming his own beliefs than tearing down Christianity.
__________________



Than is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM   #890
your tone's all wrong.
 
Jared's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Albany, Georgia, USA
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Than
No he's an Orthodox Jew, and on this album (I think) he was going back and getting back into his religious beliefs. Jews don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah. So he was more affirming his own beliefs than tearing down Christianity.
In addition to that, I think the song is nothing more than an anti-war anthem. Perhaps it is a stab at the President and his "unliberated mind."
__________________
It's been suggested that Stephen Hawking stole his 'Brief History of Time'... <br><br><br>
...from my fourth grade paper.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 11:32 PM   #891
You wanna see dry land?
 
Insane Drummer's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Water World!
Posts: 7,816
Send a message via AIM to Insane Drummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Than
No he's an Orthodox Jew, and on this album (I think) he was going back and getting back into his religious beliefs. Jews don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah. So he was more affirming his own beliefs than tearing down Christianity.

Hes a Orthodox Jew? Well I never knew that. How interesting.
__________________
I have been to Fort Worth...
mmmhmmm...
And I have been to Spain
And I have been too proud to come in out of the rain
Insane Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #892
Registered User
 

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,887
Quote:
No he's an Orthodox Jew, and on this album (I think) he was going back and getting back into his religious beliefs. Jews don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah. So he was more affirming his own beliefs than tearing down Christianity.
That's fascinating!
__________________
Check out my new journal.

You can call me FedEx.

Because I just delivered the goods.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #893
Sexier than Dr. Worm
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,458
Send a message via MSN to Danny
Quote:
He also sings some really nasty cusses in that song (reason enough for me not to listen to Disturbed).
Liberate your mind.

http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ad.php?t=39095
http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ad.php?t=55026
http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ad.php?t=45838
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #894
Registered User
 
rizz's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2004
Location: okinawa off the south coast of Japan
Posts: 7
Send a message via MSN to rizz
Yes you can read the lyrics but why even do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basszilla
I agree with the point you're making, but do you really have to listen to them to learn about their philosophy? Couldn't you just read their lyrics online or something?

Basically what I'm asking is whether there is any advantage to listening rather than simply reading.
I have listened to secular and Christian music and I think that you can read and get out of it what is needed without listening to the music. Have you ever been forced to read anything from an opera but never actually go and listen to the opera? Can you read the Bible and understand its message without actually talking to any of the people that wrote the Bible? Yes. I think if your goal with listening to secular music is to have understanding of non-Christians and their motives for listening to it, if your motives for listening to it is for outreach then I don't think you have to listen to it. All you have to do is ask them. Figure out what they get out of the music and the relevance that the music has to them. If someone told you that they cut themselves do you really need to cut yourself to figure out why they do it? Do you need to cut yourself to figure out what it's like? No. God doesn't ask us to harm ourselves to understand people. Just listen to them. With music you don't have to listen to it to understand it or the to understand the people that listen to it.
rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 06:49 PM   #895
The People's
 
Skeeter's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Posts: 15,871
In one paragraph you say that you have to listen to people to understand them and then completely contradicting yourself by saying that you don't have to listen to secular music to understand the people who make it. A lot of people have trouble expressing what they believe to others when they talk, but can do wonders when they write and perform a song. Many times that's their best avenue of communication; if we want to understand them, why should we rule out that avenue?
__________________

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #896
The Chameleon
 
Shredcheddar's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2002
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 5,091
Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizz
I have listened to secular and Christian music and I think that you can read and get out of it what is needed without listening to the music. Have you ever been forced to read anything from an opera but never actually go and listen to the opera? Can you read the Bible and understand its message without actually talking to any of the people that wrote the Bible? Yes. I think if your goal with listening to secular music is to have understanding of non-Christians and their motives for listening to it, if your motives for listening to it is for outreach then I don't think you have to listen to it. All you have to do is ask them. Figure out what they get out of the music and the relevance that the music has to them.
So you're saying that we need to just read the lyrics? Music is as much a channel of communication as the lyrics are. I don't get the point you're trying to prove by saying listening to the music is unneccesary, anyway. And if all we're doing is reading the lyrics, then why don't we just write poetry? Why does music exist?! Have you ever heard a song where the lyrics were appropriate with the music, or vice versa? The two are a combination, and they should be appreciated together. Once again, I don't know what point you're proving about not listening to the music.

The thing is, while our motive for listening to secular music may very well include outreach like you said, it is also to be appreciated as just.. music! It is to be enjoyed.

Your Bible example is irrelevant, also. It does not make sense with the rest of your post.
__________________
<center>Polar bears use camoflauge to catch their daily meal.

Last edited by Shredcheddar; 01-06-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Shredcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #897
Sexier than Dr. Worm
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,458
Send a message via MSN to Danny
Because of course, reading lyrics isn't sinful. Only listening to them is, silly.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #898
your tone's all wrong.
 
Jared's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2001
Location: Albany, Georgia, USA
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Because of course, reading lyrics isn't sinful. Only listening to them is, silly.
Haha!

That has always baffled me.

Rep for you (as you are obviously so desperately lacking ).
__________________
It's been suggested that Stephen Hawking stole his 'Brief History of Time'... <br><br><br>
...from my fourth grade paper.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #899
Registered User
 
rizz's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2004
Location: okinawa off the south coast of Japan
Posts: 7
Send a message via MSN to rizz
clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
In one paragraph you say that you have to listen to people to understand them and then completely contradicting yourself by saying that you don't have to listen to secular music to understand the people who make it. A lot of people have trouble expressing what they believe to others when they talk, but can do wonders when they write and perform a song. Many times that's their best avenue of communication; if we want to understand them, why should we rule out that avenue?




Because just as it is an avenue for communication and understanding of non-christians it is an avenue, a foothold, for sin. My point being why give sin a chance and simply that motives need to be questioned when doing anything. Even when I do my devotions my motives need to be questioned. My focus, my motives should be God and not me. If I am doing it because I feel as though I have to and not learn about God, to communicate with God then that's something that needs to be prayed about. Same with music if you are listening to music and your motives for doing so are not for the benefit of God, God focused i.e. listening to music when you are mad instead of say praying then that needs to be dealt with. I speak simply out of concern for people's motives with music. As much as we don't like to think that our life here is for God and to give praise to his name it is. And if I walk around listening to Slipknot then we need to realize the consequences. What goes in comes out, whether in thought or action. Thinking it is as much a sin as doing it. Not to mention you don't know who is watching. You made lead a fellow Christian astray who is struggling with impact that music has had in their life. Or a non-Christian may not listent o you because they assume that because of the music you listen to that you are not a Christian. So open your eyes. Maybe what I said previously didn't make much sense but I was passing out at work and attempting to clearly express my thoughts. However, in my expediance I failed. Being the first time that I have ever put my opinion on a forum and given the nature I my sleep deprived state please give me some credit. Or at least tell me the benefits of listening to secular music and not just listening to the person.
rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2004, 12:36 AM   #900
The People's
 
Skeeter's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Posts: 15,871
I think the very fact that something is "good" music means that it is worth listening to. If someone is a very talented musician, we must recognize that his talent comes from God. All good things are from God, and non-Christians are gifted with talent and ability as well as Christians. They may not be using their talent as well as they could be, but we can still listen to their music and recognize the good in it (always being mindful of what is not "good" in their music as well).
__________________

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2