Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should you listen to secular music?
It's not really a big deal 155 64.58%
No, you should not listen to secular music 44 18.33%
You should listen to Secular Music 41 17.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-29-2003, 02:46 AM   #826
never goes unheard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudrudler
If im not mistaken they are very anti-Christian. dont get me wrong i listen to sytem of a down and the like sometimes. evan own a cd but how could you listen to a blasphemous band. this prob should go in the secular music thread but it will get more reading here
Hi, welcome to CGR.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Sponsored Links
Unread 10-29-2003, 05:32 AM   #827
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
Merged.

You might not care about where you put the threads, but I do. Follow the rules, or I won't bother merging next time, I'll just close.

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 06:45 PM   #828
MMmmm tasty

Send a message via AIM to nickman945236
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicOnTheMove
I do wonder about the difference between "secular" and "Christian" music. I guess it just must be the lyrics.
I do think its interesting that we put music into two different types like that.
I think its better to just call it "music", dont you think?
You all know what I mean?
What makes music secular to whoever it is who "divides" the music is the lyrics, but that's not what makes music "secular" or christian. It all depends upon the spirit behind the music. If a cd was recorded for the purpose of glorifying God, and bringing christians and non-christians alike closer to him, then it's OK to listen to and hopefully the "spirit" behind the music will wear off on the listener. If music was recorded for the sole purpose of being rich and famous, then there is a foul spirit behind the music and that "spirit" will have an effect on your attitude. I think we have a mix of both types in secular and christian. Some secular artists don't make cd's with only greed in mind. Yet some christian artists care mostly about the dough.

Corrections or additions welcomed.

Nick

I let go, there's just no one, no one like you
nickman945236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 06:53 PM   #829

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickman945236
What makes music secular to whoever it is who "divides" the music is the lyrics, but that's not what makes music "secular" or christian. It all depends upon the spirit behind the music. If a cd was recorded for the purpose of glorifying God, and bringing christians and non-christians alike closer to him, then it's OK to listen to and hopefully the "spirit" behind the music will wear off on the listener. If music was recorded for the sole purpose of being rich and famous, then there is a foul spirit behind the music and that "spirit" will have an effect on your attitude. I think we have a mix of both types in secular and christian. Some secular artists don't make cd's with only greed in mind. Yet some christian artists care mostly about the dough.

Corrections or additions welcomed.

Nick

I'm not sure what you're saying. At firstyou say that if the music is recorded for the purpose of glorifying God then it is good, but later you imply some "secular" music is okay because it isn't just about the money. These are two very different statements. I dont' support either one.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #830
Sexier than Dr. Worm

Send a message via MSN to Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickman945236
What makes music secular to whoever it is who "divides" the music is the lyrics, but that's not what makes music "secular" or christian. It all depends upon the spirit behind the music. If a cd was recorded for the purpose of glorifying God, and bringing christians and non-christians alike closer to him, then it's OK to listen to and hopefully the "spirit" behind the music will wear off on the listener. If music was recorded for the sole purpose of being rich and famous, then there is a foul spirit behind the music and that "spirit" will have an effect on your attitude.
*stares blankly*

*blinks several times*

You must be joking. You're joking, right? Please don't tell me you actually believe that demons and angels have nothing better to do than embed themselves into digital sound files burned to CDs for the specific purpose of opressing or minstering whoever listens to the respective sound files. Where does the Bible give examples of such spiritual activity?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 03:17 PM   #831
your tone's all wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
*stares blankly*

*blinks several times*

You must be joking. You're joking, right? Please don't tell me you actually believe that demons and angels have nothing better to do than embed themselves into digital sound files burned to CDs for the specific purpose of opressing or minstering whoever listens to the respective sound files. Where does the Bible give examples of such spiritual activity?
Righto.

And to expand on this, how does one determine what the artist's intention was? How do I know Steven Curtis Chapman isn't swindling me?
I guarantee you the "secular music industry's" intentions are much more pure than the "Christian music industry's."
Unread 11-05-2003, 05:31 PM   #832
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChaser
Anyone who is not Christian is anti-christian - if not for God then against God. I don't see why that an artist/band/group/clothing manufacturer - whatever you want to talk about - is not Christian than we should not buy/listen/use any of their products.

I wonder how long it will take for someone to tear this post to pieces..
given that most christian bands are on labels that are owned by bigger labels that are owned by multi-national corporations, i'm pretty sure that you shouldn't be buying your MWS albums either.

I'll guaruntee you at some point up the ladder the only reason for putting out the product is to make money. You don't go into music soley for love of music, but that does need to be a reason. If you didn't go into it for money, no one would be able to afford to do it.

In my experience, christian labels and bookstores are some of the biggest crooks. $22 for a cd with tax? what the heck!

Jesus threw these same people out of the temple for being theives 2000 years ago and called them a brood of vipers.

At least the secular industry is honest about it.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 08:10 PM   #833
ummm like whatever

NIRVANA!!

for all the christians that like Nirvana. What is your christian perspective on them? Is it right for a christian to listen to them? What christian bands are there that sound like them?
just tell me what you think of them. I want to know.

thanx

Tim
julianaTheory30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:30 PM   #834

*SIGH*
perhaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:35 PM   #835
Banned

Never heard of them. Are they a new CCM band? R0x0rs yall, r0x0rs!
benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:41 PM   #836
Banned

Actually, I won't be so silly. I just thought of this quote I read earlier today that plays into what I think of secular thought and art as a Christian. Man, as created in God's image, has value. When I look at the art of Christians and nonChristians alike, I see beauty in both that is not merely the product of their faith, but the product of something inherent in them as human beings. The Christian artist who creates to the glory of his Creator and the nonChristian who creates to anything both reflect something they cannot help reflecting. Creating art screams meaning, whether it is acknowledged or not. As a Christian, I embrace and dwell upon that which is beautiful, no matter who made it. Anyway, back to the quote I referenced before I ranted like a nut...

"In reading profane authors, the admirable light of truth displayed in them should remind us that the human mind, however much fallen and perverted from its original integrity, is still adorned and invested with admirable gifts from its Creator."

-John Calvin
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #837
The People's

Surely there's another Nirvana thread around somewhere. And surely this shall be merged with the "Secular Music in Relation to Christianity" thread.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:49 PM   #838
Banned

Who's this Nirvana?

And please, I am not even going to participate in the "Secular Music in Relation to Christianity" thread. So if you ship it there, poo on you.
Unread 11-27-2003, 06:47 AM   #839
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
Poo on me, then.

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #840
The People's

Toldja it'd get merged.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote