Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should you listen to secular music?
It's not really a big deal 155 64.58%
No, you should not listen to secular music 44 18.33%
You should listen to Secular Music 41 17.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-08-2002, 10:35 PM   #256
--|is CGR dead|--

I know that this shouldn't be a debate, but I had to respond too this.

Quote:
Originally posted by AndreMEUMC
i have a question for every single one of you who listen to secular music and think that it is so much better than "Christian" music. WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THIS SITE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't remember there being any prereq on the membership form thingy that said that we have to like Christian music.
Quote:
If you think that Christian music is such Garbage, why would you be on a Christian music web-site?
None of us said that "Christian music" was garbage.
Quote:
If you think about it, you either aren't telling the truth about what you listen to or you don't need to be on Christian music sites. It is that simple.
You're right, I'm lying. All that I ever listen to is Point of Grace and Phil Keaggy. I'm just taking the "secular side" because all the people that I think are cool are on that side of the debate.
Quote:
I love Christian music. When i am down, i turn on my local Christian station and it makes me feel so much better about my lefe and myself. I used to listen to secular music, not saying that i don't sometimes anymore, and my attitude toward everything was HORRIBLE.
There's a lot of Christian music that I love also.

But I also listen to "secular music" and my attitude is fine (keep your comments to yourself, all of you). In fact, I have lots of "secular music" that makes me feel so much better when I listen to it when I'm down. That argument is irrelivant.
Quote:
I thank God that people take time to make beautiful music that i can sing along to and praise the Lord.
Again, so do I.
I challange all of you to listen to your local Christian station for 15-30 days and see if your life and attitude toward things doesn't improve. [/quote]
I did that for a while...know what? I just missed my other music. My life stayed the same; situations don't improve just because you hear Chris Tomlin played more often.
Quote:
I am not talking to all of you who already listen to Christian music, just those who think it is garbage. I hope that you guys change your minds Christian music.
Like I said, I don't remember anyone making a blanket statement that it was garbage (someone like Travis may have said "mostly garbage" ), and no, I doubt that any opinions will be changed. We've pretty much formed our opinions on what we believe to be true.

THESE POSTS NO LONGER REPRESENT MY BELIEFS
barefooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-08-2002, 11:53 PM   #257
The year of salvation!

Quote:
Originally posted by AndreMEUMC
i have a question for every single one of you who listen to secular music and think that it is so much better than "Christian" music. WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THIS SITE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you think that Christian music is such Garbage, why would you be on a Christian music web-site? If you think about it, you either aren't telling the truth about what you listen to or you don't need to be on Christian music sites. It is that simple.
Andre
ok first of all theres a whole debate going on somewhere else on this site, and if you want to ATTACK others go ahead and do it in the other debate,

as far as I understand this is a christian advise forum opinions and advise about what we think not just the cold hard facts,,,,

besides the fact your point is invalid if you watch secular movies tv or talk to people who are unsaved,
Unread 11-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #258
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
Can the mods do something about this thread?

Quote:
but their lyrics are impure and contrary to virtue are reproachable, so their music is in violation of God's standards and is Sin.
You take what is good. As Travis has already said, lots of Christian music is spiritually impure, as it is incorrect theologically.

Let's take the argument away from Slayer and Slipknot, since I think they are both terrible. Let's discuss Radiohead, the "secular" band I listen to most. Are they reproachful because they aren't Christian?

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 11:43 AM   #259

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Let's take the argument away from Slayer and Slipknot, since I think they are both terrible. Let's discuss Radiohead, the "secular" band I listen to most. Are they reproachful because they aren't Christian?
This thread needs to be moved.

But his point is that they, Slayer at least, has albums that are very anti-God. Their last album was called "God Hates Us All." He's using a rather extreme example to make a point. Asking to move away from them, is kind of like ignoring his argument.

What if he we used the Smashing Pumpkins? "God" by them is clearly anti-God. How how would you argue that their lyrics are ok to listen to?

btw I'm on your side. I just want to keep the argument intersting and it seemed like you were dodging a question.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 11:59 AM   #260

Send a message via AIM to alyangel05 Send a message via Yahoo to alyangel05
one other thing u should look out for when deciding what secular music to listen to is the image that artist puts out of themself because they could have good lyrics and have a bad image that we wouldnt want to be associated with
~~~~lata~~~~~~
alyssa
alyangel05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 12:04 PM   #261
workhardworkharder

*merged*

Quote:
But his point is that they, Slayer at least, has albums that are very anti-God. Their last album was called "God Hates Us All." He's using a rather extreme example to make a point. Asking to move away from them, is kind of like ignoring his argument.

What if he we used the Smashing Pumpkins? "God" by them is clearly anti-God. How how would you argue that their lyrics are ok to listen to?
If you think I didn't answer the question, you obviously didn't read my posts. I said I would listen to Slayer and Slipknot if they had any artistic value. If they had artistic value, they would have some good in their music, therefore would be worth listening to.

I also answered your second point, also, when I said that if you listen to music without acting like a child and absorbing any lyric or theme the music puts forward, then you will be fine.

If your beliefs are so weak as to be changed by the words of a song that disagrees, what are they really worth?

Unread 11-10-2002, 12:22 PM   #262
CGR's Stealth Bomber

Quote:
Originally posted by BillSPrestonEsq
I don't believe in there being a secular and Christian world.
Good point! I think that was the point of all John Fischer's books too.

If people can't concede to that truth on some level, then they will spend their lives making sure they're only buying Christian music, Christian milk, Christian batteries, Christian cars, Christian diapers, Christian pillows, Christian eggs, Christian laundry detergent, Christian antibiotics, Christian socks, Christian hairbrushes and Christian toilet paper.
Jay42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 12:36 PM   #263

Quote:

If you think I didn't answer the question, you obviously didn't read my posts. I said I would listen to Slayer and Slipknot if they had any artistic value. If they had artistic value, they would have some good in their music, therefore would be worth listening to.
I read that the first time you posted it, but you aren't the only person on the planet. We aren't discussing Scott and the value of secular music. There are Christians who listen to Slipknot and Slayer. The question is, is that wrong? Your answered this in the second half of your post.

Quote:

I also answered your second point, also, when I said that if you listen to music without acting like a child and absorbing any lyric or theme the music puts forward, then you will be fine.

If your beliefs are so weak as to be changed by the words of a song that disagrees, what are they really worth?
You are making very large generalizations about humans. Not everyone responds to everything the same way. Claiming that anyone affected by the music they listen to is "acting like a child" is a very ignorant statement. Theres nothing wrong with someone choosing not to listen to secular music because it might affect their Christian walk. If they claim that makes them a better Christian, that is a problem. If they claim that others shouldn't listen to secular music, that is a problem.

Unread 11-11-2002, 02:47 PM   #264
Tired of being attacked

No, I dont think a song will change my beliefs, but I think listening to filth, full of impurity as some bands are (not all, I dont mind some "secular") but it fails the test of purity if the lyrics are impure. the whole is corrupted by the part. Our minds are supposed to think on things that are pure. I mentioned slayer and slipknot because they are obviously filthy, and obviously if your standard is just whether they have artistic quality we should listen to them, then you have no standard. None, by your view they are pure, though they be blasphemous and perverse.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 05:58 PM   #265
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlasShrugs
This thread needs to be moved.
No it doesn't... it's regarding secular music and it is the one thread in which we allow debate on secular music with regards to Christianity.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 06:12 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
No it doesn't... it's regarding secular music and it is the one thread in which we allow debate on secular music with regards to Christianity.

Umm, Travis this thread was in the Christian Advise forum, I think. When I posted it that, it did need to be moved. It has since been moved. It didn't occur to me to edit my post.

Unread 11-11-2002, 06:38 PM   #267
Banned

Ohhhh ok. Must have been merged.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 10:00 PM   #268
Get with the fusion

Send a message via AIM to "BrooksB"
Quote:
Originally posted by BillSPrestonEsq
No, I dont think a song will change my beliefs, but I think listening to filth, full of impurity as some bands are (not all, I dont mind some "secular") but it fails the test of purity if the lyrics are impure. the whole is corrupted by the part. Our minds are supposed to think on things that are pure. I mentioned slayer and slipknot because they are obviously filthy, and obviously if your standard is just whether they have artistic quality we should listen to them, then you have no standard. None, by your view they are pure, though they be blasphemous and perverse.
What exactly would be the difference in listening to Slipknot or Slayer and listening to some guy argue with you about how wrong Christianity is?? Would it not be the same basic effect? It appears that following this logic, it would be sinful to willingly listen to someone gripe about God not existing or God "hating people". Like so many people on this thread have said, as long as you are not agreeing with what's going in your ears, and if you refute what it claims, then there is no sin.
I do, I see, and I taste from inside
The way you come to me
Is like being pulled out to sea in riptide fashion
"BrooksB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2002, 10:30 AM   #269
Tired of being attacked

Nothing similar, actually. I enjoy talking to goths and flat out Pagans and wittnessing, but that is by no means the same as listening to their philosophy and ideas for entertainment. Phil 4:8

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2002, 12:51 PM   #270
workhardworkharder

Quote:
I read that the first time you posted it, but you aren't the only person on the planet. We aren't discussing Scott and the value of secular music. There are Christians who listen to Slipknot and Slayer. The question is, is that wrong? Your answered this in the second half of your post.
No, we ARE discussing the value of secular music, since that is simply another way of phrasing the anti-secular argument.

I'm afraid I don't see the relevance of the rest of your post. Am I supposed to argue someone else's point of view?

Quote:
You are making very large generalizations about humans. Not everyone responds to everything the same way. Claiming that anyone affected by the music they listen to is "acting like a child" is a very ignorant statement. Theres nothing wrong with someone choosing not to listen to secular music because it might affect their Christian walk.
I'm not making large generalizations. You are seriously misreading.

I said anyone who weakly accepts any idea put to them through song was acting like a child. This isn't the same as what you say I said.

To paraphrase, I said that blind acceptance was childish. Care to disagree with that?