Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should you listen to secular music?
It's not really a big deal 155 64.58%
No, you should not listen to secular music 44 18.33%
You should listen to Secular Music 41 17.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-17-2002, 05:15 PM   #226
Tired of being attacked

I don't beleive in secular or Christian. There is good and bad. Compare such lyrical garbage as the deadlines first album("Christian band") with stretch armstrong (secular band) stretch's lyrics are less offensive have good morals, etc. A label means nothing. Whatever meets scriptural qualifications "Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." are good, if they don't don't. In today's media that will limit to primarily "christian" rock in my experience, but there are exceptions. I think Christian labels are often used to promote b rated music to a basic captive audience, yet there are those groups who take a stand and suffer for it by losing the mass market cause they are the best. I think "christian" marketing would have Jesus Christ braiding some new whips.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-18-2002, 07:27 PM   #227
--|is CGR dead|--

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SuPeRcHiCk197
some of my friends listen to secular music and some dont. and those who dont, i always feel like they give me bad looks or think im a bad person because i do and it bothers me sometimes. oh well i like my music and it isnt bad or hurt ng me. [/QOTE]

I KNOWa It's lyke they think I'm not as good a Christian because I don't listen to "Christian" music.

To me....it's personal conviction. And I'm not convicted to listen to straight "Christian" music (considerin7 that i most c!ses it'# just a marketing scheme anyway).

THESE POSTS NO LONGER REPRESENT MY BELIEFS
barefooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #228
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
Go to this thread for an excellent discussion of this topic. I have multiple long posts that state my views on this topic, so feel free to read it there. This topic is the whole point of that thread after all.
Unread 10-19-2002, 01:19 PM   #229
Banned

I think that we should be even more strict with the lyrical content of our "Christian music" than our secular music. If something is claiming to be "Christian Music" I think we should hold it to a very high standard regarding theological accuracy etc. With secular, we know that the views of those involved may or may not be our own and we know to be on guard against bad ideas and doctrine already.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 02:11 PM   #230
formerly ocsupertoneguy

Send a message via AIM to Mugga Please
i've been trying to not look at everything as 'christian' or 'secular' (even tho i tend to call bands that almost only sing about Jesus {audio a, supertones, newsboys} christian music). but i try more to think of music just as a culture. its always changing through out history and will continue to change. Wether the music is good or bad is up to the person and their beliefs.

as for me....i look at the band before buying a cd of theirs. I tend to listen to bands w/ christians just because like almost all the stuff out there is like junk. but i do look at lyrics, image, and what the band says of themselves.
Mugga Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 05:17 PM   #231

If the words to a song might cause you to sin then I would say don't listen to it. There is a song that some of you may know by Steppenwolf called "The Pusher". The chorus is " G. D. the pusher man" we all know what the G.D. stands for. The song came out in the early 70's and caused quite a stir. Many people were upset by it and others wanted it played on the radio. I still haven't heard it on the radio. Anyway the band has always said that they were not using God's name in vane. They always said that that is what they wanted God to do. The reason I bring this up is that I believe that a songs meaning can't always be found in the words. It's like poems, alot of times you have to look deeper to find out what ideas the writer wanted to get across. Some artist want their work to be taken different by different people. E. A. Poe's The Raven is thought of as a horror poem by most people today. If you look into Poe's life you will find out that he wrote it as his wife lay on her deathbed. It is really a very sad story. A lot of Led Zepplin is based on Gospel Blues. Some may call some of their songs based in Gospel songs to have a Christian meaning. Others might listen to Blues and think only about Robert Johnson selling his soul at the crossroads. If you listen to a song and it's uplifting to you, listen to it. If it brings you down, or could make you sin, then by all means don't listen to it. I don't care who wrote it or who sings it or what they believe. As beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder sometimes music and it's meaning is in the ear of the beholder.:kangel:
I used to be told that I shouldn't listen to this band or that band because I might cause a young, not young in age, Christian to stumble. That was way back in the early eighties. I burned many of my worldly rock albums. I now have them on C.D. and I understand that music doesn't make a Christian. Many people read the Bible and are not Christian. I also know that no matter what you do someone will find bad in it if they want to bad enough. It's easy to find bad when you aren't looking for the good. There are guys with long hair and beards that ride Harleys that live on the road and spend their lives witnessing. To look at them you wouldn't think of them as Christians but they are.
Well I kinda got off track there. My point is if a song is uplifting maybe you shouldn't dig to deep. There's a band out there called "Demon Hunter" if you think to hard about way they're hunting demons you may never listen to them again.

Last edited by Borgosi; 10-19-2002 at 05:39 PM.
Borgosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:20 PM   #232

Send a message via ICQ to Sharilyn
Well, I haven't read all the posts, which would be impossible to do. So, I'm just going to throw my opinion out there. First of all, there is no possible way to divide music into two, neat and tidy little categories. What defines Christian music? What definies secular music? I know of quite a few bands who are considered Christian simply because the members happen to be Christian, but they don't mention God in their songs at all. And I know a lot of "secular" bands who's members aren't necessarily Christian but who state some amazing truths in their lyrics. We cannot confine God to a little man made box. God works through many different mediums and who are we to say, "These are the characteristics of a Christian band and God can only work through bands that fit those characteristics." That is playing God. Pure and simple. In my experience, God has worked many times through unsaved people.One should listen to a song for that song itself and not judge music by supposed categories it fits into. Finally, this argument is actually quite pointless. If everyone is going to be spewing off Bible verses I might as well too.

"One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains and let not the one who abstains pass judgement on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgement on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls."
Romans 14: 2-4

We have no right to judge anyone for the desicion they make in listening to or not listening to secular music. That is between that person and God. And finally, one of my favorite verses,

"The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgement on himself for what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin."
Romans 14:22-23

Some things can be very subjective because sin does not always come from the act itself but from the absence of faith. If people believe listening to secular music is wrong, those of use who disagree should keep sielnt. Because by pressuring them to listen to secular music we may be pressuring them to act without faith and that would be a sin. And those of us who believe listening to secular music is fine, that is between us and God. No one on earth has the right to judge another. That is God's position Not ours.
Sharilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:37 PM   #233
A dreamer of pictures

Send a message via AIM to Nathanael Send a message via MSN to Nathanael
Just a thought...

Sometimes I wonder if God cares what you eat. Not that music is the same way.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 06:59 PM   #234

Send a message via ICQ to Sharilyn
Wow. I thought it was...of course it isn't! What I mean is this argument reminds me a lot of the argument that took place in Paul's time about food sacrificed to idol's. Some said it was wrong to eat it because of where it came from, just as many people say it is wrong to listen to secular music because of the "secular" lives of the artists. Paul was saying, no, it's fine to eat it because food is a gift from God! In the same way music is a gift from God and you can't judge music because the artist just happens to not be a Christian. You have to judge the song for itself. I'm also using the debate about food because it shows how trivial arguments over music (or movies, or drinking, or dancing, ect...) can be. God is the master of everyone. We are not the masters of eachother
Sharilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2002, 10:48 PM   #235
RIP CITY.

paid
Send a message via AIM to meatfinger Send a message via MSN to meatfinger
Also, one of the major problems I have with the "Christian" and "Secular" labels are that they are lumping Twelve Stones and Creed together with Korn and Marilyn Manson. They're lumping Klank and Stavesacre together with Hillsongs and Gary Chapman. It's completely misleading.

meatfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 08:26 AM   #236
The year of salvation!

Just a thought a little late.

I was listening to a great teaching at my congregation about worship and I believe I saw some forms of music that I didnít noticeÖ..

1.-Worship and praise
2.-The Song of the Lord (the song God speaks to us- and our response to that)
3-.Christian music made by Christian artists. (which I see Is the same thing as watching Christian TV or doing anything else that is known to be Christian but may or may not be inherently Christian) we as Christians still fall in love, eat food ect. Itís not always about God.
4.-Music (secular) (which I believe is the same as watching secular TV reading a secular magazine) all of which we should do in small amounts but we canít exclude it altogether.
5.-Noise- meaningless stuff like the ice cream truck or the loud music you canít understand.

Its all about your own convictions and what the Lord tells youÖÖ.
Unread 11-06-2002, 10:23 AM   #237
Banned

Send a message via AIM to emo_boy Send a message via Yahoo to emo_boy
The way I look at it is, What is the difference between secular music and TV? I mean, christians watch TV shows that have stuff in them that if they were in a song it would be 'of the devil'. So it's all right to watch somebody cursing on TV, but you can't listen to something like creed or Linkin Park that have no swear words, but just because they don't mention god every other line, they are 'bad'. This is just lunacrism.
emo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 12:20 PM   #238
Banned

There's an rather extensive thread on this in the Secular forum.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 02:20 PM   #239

It boils down to a personal choice. If you can listen to secular music and it doesn't hurt your walk with the Lord, then no problem...if though listening ot secular music will cause yout o stumble then you'll need to avoid it. It's really that simple.

Personally after awhile I get so tirewd of Christian music...after a bit it seems like same old same old. so I add in secular music to the mix, so that I as a muscian don't stagnate

katie+
passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 05:10 PM   #240

Send a message via MSN to Clayton
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirt_Jumper
So it's all right to watch somebody cursing on TV, but you can't listen to something like creed or Linkin Park that have no swear words, but just because they don't mention god every other line, they are 'bad'. This is just lunacrism.
amen. I agree w/ all of tha exept linkin park gets on my nerves. I understand your point.