Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should you listen to secular music?
It's not really a big deal 155 64.58%
No, you should not listen to secular music 44 18.33%
You should listen to Secular Music 41 17.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-25-2002, 05:22 PM   #196

Send a message via MSN to Clayton
Linkin Park (my opinion)

Read this whole post befor u bash or defend e'm please.

I like the beat abd sound of LP. But whenever i listen to them it makes me mad. I think i have found out that thee are some songs i can listen to without any probs. I understand people (one of my frinds who is a strong christian is one of e'm) can listin to them without any trouble. But I can Listin to Adam's song (suicide), and all of My own prison and Dark Side of the moon witch (DSOTM) are depresing. Well DSOTM is hard to undersand what they say but ow well. I just though i should tell y'all. I have found some good alternatives to LP. One is Momentum (Toby Mac wish i had it) dc Talks first Album (wish i had it to) and Pillars fireproof my little bro has it. Well I said more than i usually do.

CLayton :kgrin:

Unread 08-25-2002, 05:35 PM   #197
Banned

Clayton: Your thread basically dealt with secular music in relation to Christianity, therefore I merged it with the huge stickied thread about that.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2002, 05:59 PM   #198

this is quite interesting, i remember a while ago, leading a fellowship debate about rock music. the subject quickly turned into a debate very much similar to the one here -- secular music, more bluntly, is secular music evil? the debate was very balanced on either side of the scale.

one of the hot topics of discussions were rock bands, more specifically, creed. i do not have an recollection of creed anouncing their faith to the world, but i have not heard then denouce it either. creed, is a rock band who's music is about life. in fact, a lot of their parellels and songs are very much related to Christianity, songs like my sacrifice, higher, and with arms wide open.

mainstream music, has lately been introducing a lot of new rap, metal, and pop songs. people like britney spears who goes on stage half naked and sings songs about pleasing guys, rap that is about sex, money, and drugs, and rock songs about broken families and how they want to kill each other. i believe full heartedly that these kinds of music are evil.

the night concluded with my pastor giving one last thought and as

Romans 14:14 says:

"As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean."
awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 07:27 PM   #199
Yup, yup, you know it!

Send a message via AIM to daysofelijah
I must admit, I really enjoy checking in on this post from time to time. It is quite refreshing to review and ponder the differing points of view. There are some who view Believers as brain-washed and closed-minded because of our faith. How wrong they are! So many educated points of view and perspectives on this controversial subject shows me that there are some great minds out there; keep it up, this is how we grow.

God bless.....

eli
daysofelijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 07:57 PM   #200
Get with the fusion

Send a message via AIM to "BrooksB"
Quote:
Originally posted by awake
Romans 14:14 says:

"As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean."
that's a good point. i think that goes more towards the side of "secular music isn't necessarily bad". but then again, i've been known to march to the beat of a different drum, so yall may see something else out of that scripture.
I do, I see, and I taste from inside
The way you come to me
Is like being pulled out to sea in riptide fashion
"BrooksB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 08:55 PM   #201

Send a message via AIM to carryURcross4JC
good questoin

i think its totally fine for you to listen to secular music. I hate how a lot of christian, (esspeacially old people), would be like, thats sooo bad! There all talking about sex and drugs and violence! blah blah blah. i see it totaly different. The people in the secular band could be Christian but choose not to be under a christian label, hoping to maybe reach out to more of the youth. Just be careful with what you listen to, if they're straight up singing stuff like, "oh yeah im so high" and swearing after every other word, even if it is bleeped out, and about all the things i said up there, then maybe you shouldnt be listening to it. you dont want to get caught up in it or anything....
carryURcross4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 09:38 AM   #202

if you guys have ever watched an awards show...like the emmy's or the teen choice awards, many many many artists thank God for bringing them to the point where they are. their music may not be particularly Christian, and it may even have lyrics that represent evil (rape, murder, drugs, etc.). but becuase they are entertainers, they conform to please the people.

it makes me wonder why they would even bother putting Christianity second in their minds, when clearly, if they are faithful, Christianity should be put first. I don't know whether these artists are actually faithful, or they're just trying to pull some kinda stunt.

-awake
awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 11:41 AM   #203
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
Quote:
So many educated points of view and perspectives on this controversial subject shows me that there are some great minds out there; keep it up, this is how we grow.
Well said.

Quote:
you dont want to get caught up in it or anything....
Did you read the whole thread? This point was addressed.

Quote:
that's a good point. i think that goes more towards the side of "secular music isn't necessarily bad". but then again, i've been known to march to the beat of a different drum, so yall may see something else out of that scripture.
Two points, I got the same thing, and you really shouldn't use that phrase, the drum one, lol. Double entendres abound.

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 02:34 PM   #204
Get with the fusion

Send a message via AIM to "BrooksB"
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Two points, I got the same thing, and you really shouldn't use that phrase, the drum one, lol. Double entendres abound.
ahh i get it now...:kduh: :kduh:
I do, I see, and I taste from inside
The way you come to me
Is like being pulled out to sea in riptide fashion
"BrooksB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 11:27 AM   #205

Send a message via AIM to singinsilly1221
Thumbs up secular music

Wow. I've hear lots of different points of veiw on this. Secular music rocks too, ok? lol Secular music is fine...to an extent. As long as there are no anti-God ideas, sinful suggestions, or swearing, i can't see how it can be a bad thing. :-)
peace, love, in God foreva <3
RoxI
singinsilly1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2002, 10:50 PM   #206
Final Fantasy Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Ryosuke
I once saw an award show where the commentary on the screen said:'I bet you he's gonna thank God first'
Isn't that what they all do? And most of the time you can never really tell whether or not they're faithful.
I really wonder why they even bother if they don't care enough to live a christian like lifestyle
Unread 08-31-2002, 06:55 AM   #207
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
http://www.christianguitar.ws/forums...threadid=16952

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2002, 09:30 PM   #208
Senior Non-Posting Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
http://www.christianguitar.ws/forums...threadid=16952
That wouldn't be a thread from the Theology forum, would it now???
rockin4theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2002, 09:55 PM   #209
Sexier than Dr. Worm

Send a message via MSN to Danny
Quote:
Originally posted by rockin4theking
That wouldn't be a thread from the Theology forum, would it now???
nope.

Sec Artists/Cds

It's the infamous "Secular Music In Relation To Christianity" thread.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2002, 02:52 AM   #210
MikeMikeMike

Smile Hmmmm

Hello People,

I figure, I'll donate my 2 cents, as well.

I have been listening to a lot of music until lately. I have cut of secular music and have been listening to music by Christian bands. I'm running into the question of "Which band (If there is one) does so and so genre?".

Some of the band members of Christian bands listen to some secular artists. But then again, no person should be our guide. We should directly take our guidance from God's word and thru our relationship with Him.

Everything good comes from God.

If there's anything good that happens tonight, it's from Jesus (Amy Grant). I don't remember many verses to quote but here's one that I saved from an online article:

Jeremiah 29:11 says “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (NIV).

---------

I hear a lot of people mentioning creativity and musical talents and so on. I think many people don't mind the existing Christian artists because people only want to find something with content that worships God. And in the grand scheme of things the music style becomes secondary or irrelevant.

Second, I hear much about being able to draw talent from the worldly sources. Why not ask for talent from the One who created talent and all else? Now, if you happen to believe that God shows you that talent thru a secular artist, I am not going to say anything about that because that's your personal matter - It's between you and God.

Should I point out something I see someone doing that I feel is wrong? Yes. Is my brother/sister going to be offended? I hope not.

----------------

But I believe that the times are achangin'.

There's a wave of revival going thru the world like never before. The end times are near. More and more young people are coming to God.

There's more creativity in worshipping God. Long haired (like myself) guitarits (I hope to be) are no longer considered "un-Christian". People are trying to worship God in every way they can and with whatever they can.

So I think we should let the Spirit of God guide us.

As I end my first Christian post, I leave you with:

Joel 2:32, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."