Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should you listen to secular music?
It's not really a big deal 155 64.58%
No, you should not listen to secular music 44 18.33%
You should listen to Secular Music 41 17.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-09-2002, 12:09 PM   #181
Sexier than Dr. Worm

Send a message via MSN to Danny
Re: Secular Music

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I also have struggled with the whole Secular V Spiritual Music deal and wether it's the Music or the Lyrics or the Artist that makes it "right or wrong"

Easy rule to use for your Secular/Spiritual Music:

Q: Would you play the Song if Jesus was standing in your Lounge room with you?

Kinda makes it a bit clearer doesn't it.

And remember He said "And Lo I am with you always, even to the ends of the Earth!!

Ciao
That's definately a good way to look at things.

Quote:
ba doo doo da ba doo da dwee da doo da bomp bomp ba dada doo ba doo doo da ba doo da dwee da doo da bomp bomp ba dada doo ba doo da doo dwee doo daa doo daaaay ba da da ba da da ba da da ba da da doo doooooooo - MxPx

Hey, isn't that "Chick Magnet?" I love that song!

(PS, another example of a Christian band on a secular label)

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:20 PM   #182
got any spare change?

Send a message via AIM to Underhill
Re: Re: Secular Music

Quote:
Originally posted by mNighthawk007
Hey, isn't that "Chick Magnet?" I love that song!

yup

http://www.myspace.com/THECLOUDSAREJUGGERNAUTS
^^^check out my music
Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #183
aka Lauren

Send a message via AIM to jesus_freak826
wait a second... did you say MxPx is Christian??

:kgrin: thats me!

"Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will really is - His good, pleasing, and perfect will." Romans 12:2
"The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him." Nahum 1:7
jesus_freak826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:27 PM   #184
Sexier than Dr. Worm

Quote:
Originally posted by jesus_freak826
wait a second... did you say MxPx is Christian??
Well... sort of.
They were more spiritual back before their glory days. Check out the CD "Pokinatcha" and you'll see what I mean. Musically one of the worst CD's I have ever had the displeasure of listening to, but very spiritual at times.
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:29 PM   #185
aka Lauren

Send a message via AIM to jesus_freak826
hmm interesting... that's cool though... i had no idea... i'll try and check that album out... thanks

:kgrin: thats me!

"Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will really is - His good, pleasing, and perfect will." Romans 12:2
"The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him." Nahum 1:7
jesus_freak826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 03:15 PM   #186
got any spare change?

Re: Re: Secular Music

Quote:
actually, it's a secular band on a Christian label (they're on Tooth & Nail)

^^^check out my music
Unread 08-09-2002, 03:40 PM   #187
Sexier than Dr. Worm

Oh yeah, Tooth and Nail. Forgot about that. Although I don't know how Christian I would consider Tooth and Nail records.
They've got alot of bands under them that I wouldn't consider Christian. Such as .rod laver.
Unread 08-09-2002, 06:20 PM   #188
got any spare change?

true

^^^check out my music
Unread 08-22-2002, 03:34 PM   #189
Raw Material

Send a message via ICQ to Jfreak Send a message via AIM to Jfreak
I look at it like this, and it may have already been said... We watch secualr movies and most of us don't beef about it (I mean how many time can you watch Left Behind)...so its not really if its right to listen to secular music or not I guess you just have to be carefull..which is the same thing with movies..just my 2cents :-)

One,
Jfreak
Unread 08-22-2002, 03:42 PM   #190
Raw Material

Send a message via ICQ to Jfreak Send a message via AIM to Jfreak
Quote:
Oh yeah, Tooth and Nail. Forgot about that. Although I don't know how Christian I would consider Tooth and Nail records.
They've got alot of bands under them that I wouldn't consider Christian. Such as .rod laver.

Whats wrong with .Rod Laver ????
Unread 08-22-2002, 03:44 PM   #191
I am a boy named Sue

Send a message via AIM to Pick it up! Send a message via MSN to Pick it up!
mxpx's bass player once said something along the lines of: we're christians, in a band, we're just not a christian band.

i have lots of respect for them and many other bands made up of christians who made the decision not to put themselves inside the "christian box".
Unread 08-22-2002, 03:57 PM   #192
Sexier than Dr. Worm

I really have no problem with secular music, and I love MxPx, and there's nothing wrong with .rod laver. I just wouldn't call them a Christian band considering that next to none of their lyrics have anything to say about God. I'm not criticizing secular music at all.
Unread 08-24-2002, 12:22 AM   #193
Get with the fusion

Send a message via AIM to "BrooksB"
wow.. that was one heck of a sitting. i've been trying to avoid this thread for awhile now, fearing it would turn me away from listening to secular music. i'd read the first few pages before, and at first i was more on boogeray's side because i could find no way of justifying how i listened to secular music just for my personal pleasure. I think that for secular music to be bad to listen to on any level (whether it be trashy music w/ a bad message or have themes parallel to christianity), you would have to accept it as truth. i usually pay no attention to lyrics, just because i can't listen quickly enough to tell what they're saying, and i don't have time to sit around my room and listen to music w/ the lyrics in front of me. anyways, sometimes i find myself hearing the words to a particular song and i'll think "that's so wrong" then i'll think about the truth that could take its place-- like you guys were saying, it can help to understand what people think, and know why it is wrong without saying stuff like "that stuff is the devil's tool!". here's my example: i first noticed this when i listened to a sublime song called "Johnny Butt" (i think that's the name). in that song he says "so shoot it up, shoot it up-- it just don't matter". i was just thinking about how hopeless that is and how we should never just give up on ourselves (like job-- he didn't completely give up, he kept praising God).

plus-- not only would we have to give up forms of secular art like classical music/literature, but what about some good ole visual art?? would we have to gve up monet, manet, van gogh, picasso and the like???

on the other hand, music has taken some of the same turns in evolution in the 20th century as visual art has. just like new rising art periods come accompanied with manifestos that touch on philosophy and a general attitude or way of life that are associated with that art, music genres come accompanied with unspoken manifestos that stereotype each genre with a certain attitude and character. does anyone get what i'm sayin here?? i guess it comes to this-- as long as you don't embody that "manifesto" and remain an onlooker of music as an artform, then you're not embracing the values of the world, but retaining your own values (as you've adopted from the Bible) and offering a different way of interpreting music. does that make sense to you guys??
I do, I see, and I taste from inside
The way you come to me
Is like being pulled out to sea in riptide fashion
"BrooksB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 06:09 AM   #194

[hjackson]However, you need not assume that our faith is weaker for listening to it.

[boogeray]oh but it's OK for you and the rest to assume that anybody that don't listen to it has weaker faith?...............it has nothing at all to do with weaker faith, but all to do with compromise

is liberalism really a mental disorder?
boogeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 07:40 AM   #195
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
Quote:
oh but it's OK for you and the rest to assume that anybody that don't listen to it has weaker faith?
Not necessarily, but given the reasons you are giving for not listening to it, then yes.

And if we were adopting the morality of the music, or behaving in the ways that the music discussed, then that would be compromise. However, objective listening is not included in this.

Oh, and simply ignoring the fact that if you ban ALL secular music you logically must ban ALL other secular work, does not make it go away.

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote