Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #1

Head Voice? (help)

Okay, I understand singing with your diaphram and as you hit the lower notes, you use your chest. I've been browsing on the internet and found that there was also a type of singing which consists of your head(heard it's for higher pitches). I'd like to know more about it if anyone can explain to me, and how I should practice it.

kodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-25-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Godin/Seagull Man

Head voice is often used synomously with falsetto around here but that is not correct. Falsetto is part of the head voice but there is also a full voice headvoice. Chest voice and head voice refer to where the sound resonates. With chest voice you focus the sound mainly in the chest. As I mentioned in your previous thread, the head voice is focused mainly in the head. I try to focus the sound toward my upper teeth and cheeks. Head voice does not mean that all the sound resonates in the head. It is important to keep your shoulder up and chest open so that there is still some resonance in the chest, otherwise your voice will sound nasal. It can take a lot of practice and help from a voice coach to make sure you are getting the focus in the right place.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #3

Is it possible to get enough vocal range with head voice that you can sing a whole song with just head voice?
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Godin/Seagull Man

Depends on the song. I start going into head voice at about A below middle C. It's sort of a gradual thing though. It's not a shifting of the gears like going into falsetto is. It is more of a blending thing you do between chest resonance and head resonance; generally the higher you go the more head resonance you need to have. It also depends on what kind of sound you want to get. If you want a lighter sound you want to go into head voice earlier. If you want a darker sound, you will want to stay in chest voice longer.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #5

I do, just about all of my singing is done with my head voice. I can hear myself better that way. I don't use my diaphragm to sing either, I use my lungs. It's a lot quieter, but I think it sounds better.

>Brent

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass4christ27 View Post
I do, just about all of my singing is done with my head voice. I can hear myself better that way.
That's because what you hear is partly what is transmitted directly to your ears via the sinuses and the bones in your head. What you hear is not what other people hear.

Quote:
I don't use my diaphragm to sing either, I use my lungs. It's a lot quieter, but I think it sounds better.
You're joking, right? The lungs are actuated by the diaphragm (it's a muscle). You can't really use your lungs without using your diaphram.

Unread 07-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #7

okay..I've been workin..or tryin to use head voice. But my neck tightens up slightly. Is that bad?

and you would still use diaphram for head voice too right?
Unread 07-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodancer View Post
okay..I've been workin..or tryin to use head voice. But my neck tightens up slightly. Is that bad?

and you would still use diaphram for head voice too right?
Yes as you are using your lungs to breathe as you sing. And you ALWAYS breath.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #9
Godin/Seagull Man

Yes, the tightening in your neck is bad. Diaphramatic support should help as well as using pure, open vowels (that's why most classical singers learn to sing in Italian first). I can't overemphasize the need for vocal coaching here. Good vocal technique is really hard to learn on your own. I have learned guitar mostly on my own but fortunately you can't really mess up a guitar with bad technique. The voice is a different matter; it can be damaged permanently with poor technique.

Unread 07-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #10

I know that not having a teacher is bad..but I first wanna start experimenting to get the ideas of singing. You see...I'm not even sure if I WANT to sing or not. And since I dont have a teacher, I ask around here and this place is really helpful. thanks btw

but i got another question. (and i also think i know how to approach head voice cuz this time im not tightening up my neck or anything. it just feels normal) :

okay when i go into head voice..i hear like annoyin sound almost like a screech. the pitch didnt skip much but the sound SEEMS like it skipped a lot from mid to head voice. is this normal??
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
power chord hater

Sounds like your describing your 'break'.

Normally there's a break for guys between the chest voice and head voice. With more practice it can be a pretty seamless transition.

Find a voice teacher, even if just for one lesson. There are lots of things that I could show, explain in person if I heard your voice and saw you sing that I can never do via the internet.

A lot of places will give out a free lesson, and if not you're down maybe $25. It's well worth it, even if you decide not to sing.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodancer View Post
okay when i go into head voice..i hear like annoyin sound almost like a screech. the pitch didnt skip much but the sound SEEMS like it skipped a lot from mid to head voice. is this normal??
It sounds like you are talking about going into falsetto. Head voice gets confused a lot with falsetto. Falsetto is focused in the head but the sound is made with the upper part of your vocal folds. I believe the mid voice you are talking about is the full head voice. Full voice is when you use the whole length of your vocal folds to make the sound. It's hard to tell without hearing you. Is it possible for you to post a clip?

Either way, you can work on the transition from chest to head to falsetto by singing scales that span the different voices. The most difficult transition is from full voice to falsetto; this is where most people have a problem with a breaking or yodeling in their voice. Some singers, particularly in country music, intentionally use this break in the voice in their singing style.

Unread 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #13

I do actualy use my lungs. My diaphragm stays "inflated" (if you will) so you get more air. It's one of those singing techniques in that "Zen of Scraming" dvd.

>Brent

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
power chord hater

Quote:
I do actualy use my lungs. My diaphragm stays "inflated" (if you will) so you get more air. It's one of those singing techniques in that "Zen of Scraming" dvd.

>Brent
Ummm. That's singing with your diaphram.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote