Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #1

Voice cracks up after warming up

not so much "cracky" but more of air just goes through my throat sound...not sure how to explain

ive been warming up like the mah maw mee warmups..i humm the 1st time then actually sing the 2nd time.

i do it for 10-15min

maybe just wait awhile after warming up then actually sing?

kodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Out of curiosity, how old are you? Younger voices don't settle until 20's or so...guys seem to have more problems than girls.

You might try different types of warmups, like singing solfesh (do re mi) all the way up the scale and back, and then keep increasing the pitches. So you'd first start in the key of C, then go a half step up, then another, until you reach the edge of your range and maybe just a little bit above where you sound good. Then do the same thing starting at C, then go down.

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Godin/Seagull Man

Could you post a recording perhaps. I really don't understand the description of your problem. Is it uncomfortable? Does it make your throat hurt. Is your throat tightening up. Does your voice sound raspy and hoarse? It's possible you are pushing your voice too hard and/or using bad technique. You need to warm up very gradually and not push your voice beyond what is comfortable.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #4

im 16. My throat doesn't hurt at all. Sometimes i feel that after warming up, i can acutally speak more clearly.

i always start my warmups around mid range pitch of my voice then expanding it lower and higher later on.

Im thinkin its something to do with the low notes. i go down to F below middle C then as i go back up i sense some cracky sounds out of my voice.

i cant really explain the cracky sounds..the way i imagine it is that the voice doesnt really have a melody or harmony sounding to it, its just straightforward sounds like if a robot was tryin to sing. not literally though.

well i noticed after i rest, my voice goes back to normal and a lot better sounding. but im wondering if im not using proper technique for warming up?
kodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Godin/Seagull Man

I think I know what you mean now. Is your voice cracking into falsetto like a yodel? If so, it sounds like are having trouble transitioning from your chest voice to your head voice (by head voice I mean the voice that is focused toward your sinuses while still in full voice). It could be that your voice is still maturing as well. You can practice the transition using scales. When you sing the low notes, focus the sound in the chest area. As you move up you need to move the focus toward your upper teeth. It might help if you start the transition sooner; you may be experiencing the cracking in your voice because you are waiting too long before you transition.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote