Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #91
Hey, I can change this!!!

I have 16 counting mandos basses acoustics, electrics, but I'll be seriously thinning the herd before Christmas.

the aim is to have only self made guitars.

Once I've built a 12 and a double cut les Paul,(before Christmas I hope) then the REAL cull can begin!!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #92
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesJunkie View Post
I have something like 15 - 20 guitars. Sometimes I look in the closet and see a guitar I don't even remember. (I had a gear-buying sickness in my younger years.)

2 or 3 is enough for me, so I need going to start fixing up and selling everything.

Quote:
And when you play for one of the most internationally succesful bands of all time...

those tiny subtle differences actually contribute to his overall market value. I dare say that very few musicians have the subtlety and perfection of tone that the edge has made his business.

And because of this, that diversity of tone becomes his livelihood. And heck, lets face it, if we had that much money and were that succesful a musician, I bet most of us would have close to that many guitars.

Heck, I am a hack, and I am halfway there.
You know, it really baffells me when people say that all U2 songs sound the same. Yeah, he uses delay on most of his songs. But Jimmy Page used distortion on most of his songs.
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #93

Mattlock, is there something wrong with having a lot of guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Considering he probably gets them free anyway.
I doubt that, I don't think he's got any endorsements going right now. Just a lot of Gibsons, a lot of Fenders, a lot of...everything else. And roughly 20-30 AC30's. But hey, he's rich.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #94
Your car crash eyes...

The Edge plays for 40,000 people every night. Fender knows this. "If we give the Edge a couple free guitars, 40,000 people will see him playing them everynight! They'll want Fender guitars, too!"

Great marketing scheme, eh?
Unread 07-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
The Edge plays for 40,000 people every night. Fender knows this. "If we give the Edge a couple free guitars, 40,000 people will see him playing them everynight! They'll want Fender guitars, too!"

I know that. I am very well aware of that.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
Thank you and goodnight.
Unread 07-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesJunkie View Post
...Sometimes I look in the closet and see a guitar I don't even remember...
Well, "guitars I forgot I had" would have been better wording. Some of them I've played a few times and then stuck in the closet for years.
BluesJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #97

Quote:

Eh, not really. That definitely applies for new acts, but when you have a pedigree like The Edge, you play what you want. You play what works. You play what gets the job done.

Paul made that point at the Dallas Guitar Show. "Don't you think that Carlos Santana could have his pick of any guitar here? He plays what works. His livelihood depends on it." He had a point.

Now, granted, a bit of pocket change for some siggy model royalties isn't a bad thing, and something to sneer at, but, understand, for The Edge, Carlos, and the like, it's just pocket change, or perhaps a way of gaining a certain amount of posterity or recognition as a musician (the kind that doesn't necessarily come from a hit album), but I seriously doubt any of them would be swayed to endorse a crappy guitar for chump change. IOW, I doubt they would "sell out".

Also, keep in mind, it's not like Fender (or whomever) would be the only one offering an endorsement deal or free guitars to guitarists.

Now, on the other hand, Ibanez spent most of the 90's knocking on garage doors . . .

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 07-17-2007 at 07:08 PM.
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #98
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
Eh, not really. That definitely applies for new acts, but when you have a pedigree like The Edge, you play what you want. You play what works. You play what gets the job done.

Paul made that point at the Dallas Guitar Show. "Don't you think that Carlos Santana could have his pick of any guitar here? He plays what works. His livelihood depends on it." He had a point.

Now, granted, a bit of pocket change for some siggy model royalties isn't a bad thing, and something to sneer at, but, understand, for The Edge, Carlos, and the like, it's just pocket change, or perhaps a way of gaining a certain amount of posterity or recognition as a musician, but I seriously doubt any of them would be swayed to endorse a crappy guitar for chump change. IOW, I doubt they would "sell out".

Also, keep in mind, it's not like Fender (or whomever) would be the only one offering an endorsement deal or free guitars to guitarists.

Now, on the other hand, Ibanez spent most of the 90's knocking on garage doors . . .
I don't think we disagree with each other.
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #99
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Send a message via ICQ to mt_spiffy Send a message via AIM to mt_spiffy Send a message via MSN to mt_spiffy Send a message via Yahoo to mt_spiffy Send a message via Skype™ to mt_spiffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
Not my garage
mt_spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #100

You sir, are very lucky.
Thank you and goodnight.
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #101

Quote:
I don't think we disagree with each other.
Most likely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
You sir, are very lucky.
Indeed he is.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote