Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #61
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to mr_strat Send a message via MSN to mr_strat Send a message via Yahoo to mr_strat
Just one in church

Although I own five guitars, I just use one in church consistently. There may be special occasions when I use the acoustic, but 99 times out of 100 I'll be playing the Paul. I have the others because I am occasionally called upon to play music which requires their distinct characteristics.

mr_strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #62

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_strat View Post
Although I own five guitars, I just use one in church consistently. There may be special occasions when I use the acoustic, but 99 times out of 100 I'll be playing the Paul. I have the others because I am occasionally called upon to play music which requires their distinct characteristics.
for some reason I always get a laugh out of the fact that "mr_strat"'s main guitar is an LP.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #63

I can't put a number on how many would be too much, but I've heard of a guy who had something like 30 Ken Smith basses. That's probably way more than I would care to own at one time, but if I did have that many there would be some variety in there. I would like to have at least 5 which includes one bass. I currently have 3:

American Standard Strat
Lone star Strat
Dlx. Active Jazz Bass V

I want to get an acoustic and one more electric (maybe an Acoustasonic Strat and an American Dlx. Strat; do you think I be likin' Strats a lot?).
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #64
Not Of This World

Send a message via AIM to NOTWGuitar
I think it depends on how many different styles you play... I've got 8 right now... but many of them are for different styles of play... Like i have a 12 String electric, a Hollowbody, one with a Maple Fretboard, one with a Les Paul style, one that's a Seven string etc etc... i think it's fun to have variety... and you can get some great tone variation by simply changing guitars
We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jesus Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment. Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists."-
Martin Luther King Jr. (From 'Letter from a Birmingham Jail')
NOTWGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #65
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Isn't it ironic that yesterday's devotional on my desk calendar was based on the following:

"One's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses." - Luke 12:15

I'm not one to talk about limits of how many guitars people should own as I've got 14 stringed instruments in the house and a bunch of other gear which I've been blessed with. What I would suggest is that people should own what they use and use what they own.
I recently sold a mandolin, a lap steel, and 2 other electrics because I simply was not playing them and couldn't see myself playing them in the near or somewhat distant future. I've also sold 2 amps and have a few more things going out the door soon because they're nothing more than dust collectors and hopefully someone else will get some use out of them.

If versatility is your game and you need a wide assortment of tools to get the job done, I totally understand. You should see my garage.
But if you're simply collecting gear because it's cheap or because you just want it or because you've got an addiction to frivolous spending, ya might wanna recognize that bug for what it is and rectify it before ye finds ye self in heap big trouble.
One can easily be pwned by the stuff they possess.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #66
Not Of This World

Send a message via AIM to NOTWGuitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Isn't it ironic that yesterday's devotional on my desk calendar was based on the following:

"One's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses." - Luke 12:15

If versatility is your game and you need a wide assortment of tools to get the job done, I totally understand. You should see my garage.
But if you're simply collecting gear because it's cheap or because you just want it or because you've got an addiction to frivolous spending, ya might wanna recognize that bug for what it is and rectify it before ye finds ye self in heap big trouble.
Totally agree! if it's not being used... or if you don't see yourself using it in the too near future... it would be good to get rid of it... of course there are exceptions... Like your first guitar or some other intrument with high sentimental value. but for the most part... an instrument is meant to be played, if you're not usin it... it could really make some other instrument's day to have it
We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jesus Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment. Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists."-
Martin Luther King Jr. (From 'Letter from a Birmingham Jail')
NOTWGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #67
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to mr_strat Send a message via MSN to mr_strat Send a message via Yahoo to mr_strat
Main guitar

Well, I've been a Strat kinda guy for over 25 years. But play the Paul in church because I didn't want to hack up the Strat installing the GR-20 pickup. I do still play the Strat on a regular basis though, just rarely in public.
mr_strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #68

i have 7, and i will be getting my 8th soon, and selling one, so back to seven

there aren't enough options ther, i think like 500 is too many
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #69
thistledown

I technically own 5 guitars. But I honestly only use two of them. What I really want to do is try to keep it that way also. I don't like having too much stuff because I still live at home and in January, God willing, I'll be heading over to England and that means I'm going to put myself down to one guitar. Plus, I can do absolutely everything that I need with just my acoustic and tele.
Unread 07-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #70

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
legititmately I have two acoustics and two electric guitars in addition to my Jazz V...this out of the three acoustics, three electrics and three basses I own.

one of my acoustics is playable but really it stays in the closet and only comes out every once in awhile. It's a 1950s Harmony Archtone.

My MIM Jazz Bass is at my parents' house with my white MIJ Stratocaster, both of which are used by my sister for learning.
My Hohner short-scale bass is also over there...waiting for me to come down and refinish it.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #71

I use all 5 of mine on a fairly regular basis:
Gibson SG
Custom Telecaster
Custom Airline style (Sorta handles the Strat sound)
6 string acoustic
12 string acoustic
Do other insts. count? I also have 2 mandolins and a violin.
Gibson SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #72

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
I use all 3 my guitars. One day i wanna get a bass and a hollowbody for jazz. I also wanna buy a few more Steinbergers.

Last edited by thomaspg70; 07-12-2007 at 01:09 PM.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #73
Beware the Chinchilla's Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post

I'm not one to talk about limits of how many guitars people should own as I've got 14 stringed instruments in the house and a bunch of other gear which I've been blessed with. What I would suggest is that people should own what they use and use what they own.
I recently sold a mandolin, a lap steel, and 2 other electrics because I simply was not playing them and couldn't see myself playing them in the near or somewhat distant future. I've also sold 2 amps and have a few more things going out the door soon because they're nothing more than dust collectors and hopefully someone else will get some use out of them.

I would have to agree all of that, well put my man.
Chinchilla of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #74
Your car crash eyes...

As many as you need. I have four guitars, 2 acoustics and 2 electrics. The other acoustic is for when I have friends over who don't have a guitar with them, and the other electric is backup for practices/gigs if I break a string or something.

I would like to upgrade to a better amp and keep the one I have at home for practice. I would also like to own a couple more guitars for different sounds. Maybe 2 or 3 more, a new acoustic, a Telecaster and a hollowbody.
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #75
is blessed beyond measure

Send a message via AIM to tigerfan88 Send a message via MSN to tigerfan88 Send a message via Yahoo to tigerfan88
Honestly, it's as many as you'll actually play. Only get as many guitars as you'll play--don't buy guitars just to stay in a case and never be played.

With that said, I'd say 3-4 would probably be about right for me.

My Gear:
Agile AL-2000 | Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic | Johnson Strat Copy | J.B. Player Professional Series Bass (somewhat modified) | Vox AD50VT 212 | Acoustic B20 Bass Amp | Vox V847| Danelectro Fab Distortion

My Blog | Tech Support for Lots of Devices
tigerfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote