Unread 06-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #1

$100,000 "Jesus Christ" Guitar from Warrior

http://www.warriorinstruments.com/jdran_design.htm

Here's one of the pics to give you and idea:

Sponsored Links
Unread 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Those are all pretty ugly. I would never spend money on one of those... I mean, 100,000 dollars? That's ridiculous. I'm sorry but no guitar can ever sound that good and the picture of Jesus is a just a tasteless ploy to get some rich guy who wants to look Christian to flaunt his money. I think the fact that they are charging that much takes this whole idea into a whole new level of idiocy. That guitar probably took a month or so to build, and cost about 1,000 bucks... how absofreakinglutely ridiculous.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Unread 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Wow. Just.... Wow.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
Unread 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Tired of being attacked

those are designed as art pieces more than instruments. Personally, I would never pay that much for such things, but it doesn't seem out of place at all to me.

My Life.
Unread 06-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
Those are all pretty ugly. I would never spend money on one of those... I mean, 100,000 dollars? That's ridiculous. I'm sorry but no guitar can ever sound that good and the picture of Jesus is a just a tasteless ploy to get some rich guy who wants to look Christian to flaunt his money. I think the fact that they are charging that much takes this whole idea into a whole new level of idiocy. That guitar probably took a month or so to build, and cost about 1,000 bucks... how absofreakinglutely ridiculous.
it's Warrior...their "low priced" instruments start around $2,000 I think. Most of their stuff goes for closer to $6K with their custom inlay stuff going for $8K-$20K.

but yeah...$100,000 is totally ridiculous for a 2 'bucker guitar with a piezo bridge and an ugly as sin design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
those are designed as art pieces more than instruments. Personally, I would never pay that much for such things, but it doesn't seem out of place at all to me.
I understand this to an extent...I am a bit curious as to why it costs 5 times as much as his other designs.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
Quote:
Yeah, it looks pretty cool to me. I guess if it doesn't sound like 100 grand then I wouldn't want it.

Unread 06-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
it's Warrior...their "low priced" instruments start around $2,000 I think. Most of their stuff goes for closer to $6K with their custom inlay stuff going for $8K-$20K.

but yeah...$100,000 is totally ridiculous for a 2 'bucker guitar with a piezo bridge and an ugly as sin design.
I understand this to an extent...I am a bit curious as to why it costs 5 times as much as his other designs.
well, its 3d carving as opposed to painted. Quite frankly, its quite well done for what it is. The archer and the lion are just paint. It would be insanely difficult to do. That said, I have carved enough in my life to where I think I could copy it...

But also, ultimately, art is about the style, the artist, and the subject matter and what those 3 mean to the buyer.

My Life.
Unread 06-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
an ugly as sin design
There's just something not right to me about calling something that portrays Christ "ugly as sin". It seems a bit sacrilegious. No offense, but I wouldn't have worded it that way.
Unread 06-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
well, its 3d carving as opposed to painted. Quite frankly, its quite well done for what it is. The archer and the lion are just paint. It would be insanely difficult to do. That said, I have carved enough in my life to where I think I could copy it...

But also, ultimately, art is about the style, the artist, and the subject matter and what those 3 mean to the buyer.
the lion looks carved to me as well. it's certainly not just a painting like the Archer is. I dunno...it's an ok carving...I feel like it could've been done alot better, especially considering the price. maybe the carving was intentionally left rough...all I know is I don't really like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sFan View Post
There's just something not right to me about calling something that portrays Christ "ugly as sin". It seems a bit sacrilegious. No offense, but I wouldn't have worded it that way.
selling a guitar with Jesus carved into it for $100,000 seems sacreglious to me...no offense taken

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
the lion looks carved to me as well. it's certainly not just a painting like the Archer is. I dunno...it's an ok carving...I feel like it could've been done alot better, especially considering the price. maybe the carving was intentionally left rough...all I know is I don't really like it.selling a guitar with Jesus carved into it for $100,000 seems sacreglious to me...no offense taken
Its a distinct, and believe it or not, none too easy style of carving. I used to think it looked cheesy and ridiculously easy, then I tried it to prove it was so easy... And it wasn't. Actually, I could much easier put a realistic portrait in wood...

I feela little weird about that and then I thought of paintings like the last supper.

My Life.
Unread 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
ERG guitars > All

Theyre christian guys that really do build quality instruments. Theyre instruments are high priced and I wish they would do a more budget friendly line but they really do care and put love into their craftsmanship.

I wouldnt have put that pricetag on the guitar but I suppose its what whoever on the design team feels its worth to them for the work. BTW it was an appraisal not a retail price.

I dont know if even having graven images of the lord is ok, im still on the fence about that. However I dont know the artist, he might have really felt inspired by his convictions and love for Christ to do this. So im not gonna rag on it. Just my two cents.
Unread 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #12

There also the "Christian" guitars from Abyss Guitars. The have 3 models: The Last Supper, The Crucifixion, and The Ascension, with a fourth one in the works called The Revelation.

http://www.abyssguitars.com/limited%20editions.htm

The main thing on these are the fretboard inlays. They are very intricate - portraying the scenes the guitars are named after. They too, are very expensive.
Unread 06-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I know a guy who has a warrior bass. It's freaking sweet. However, I can assure you he didn't pay more than 3,000 for it.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Unread 06-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
Sarcasm? What's that?

i dig the pickup covers on that thing, but not much else.

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
Unread 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
Blank Space!

Send a message via AIM to two+two=FIVE!!!
I like the design, but I don't think it really belongs on a guitar.

And 100,000 dollars just doesn't make sense...

Closed Thread