Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 8.33%
7 1 8.33%
8 2 16.67%
9 4 33.33%
10 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
Support Southern Rock

You don't like them? Too soft?

Unread 09-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #17

I actually didn't vote on this one. Hmm, i thought I did..

Well, I'm voting a 10. I've been constantly spinning this disc repeatedly and it's incredible. While everyone else seems to hate them, I love the clean vocals. I think they compliment the screams perfectly.

I can agree on the part about the solos, however, I do love the dual guitar harmonies. And I especially love the more progressive style of the album.

Overall, I love every song. Top notch songwriting, excellent vocals and musicianship, easy 10.
Unread 09-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #18

Oh, and JFAC is easily the most overrated metal/whatever the hell it's called these days band out there right now. It just seems like they're trying to just be heavy and sludgy and not actually make decent music in the process.
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
Support Southern Rock

Well either way JFAC is still pretty good (I think their not overrated because they're still largely NOT on the radar). But Despised Icon is much better than them. I really love those deep growls and the fast drumming (lol like noone else beats their drums fast).
Unread 09-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #20
Firefox enlightened

I forgot about the lyrics.

I love the lyrics.

Yay.
Mr. claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #21

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaukal View Post
I actually didn't vote on this one. Hmm, i thought I did..
you probably did.
I was positive I did, in one of my earlier posts i stated that i voted 9 (8.5) and i remember voting. Now it says i havn't voted, so i think something got messed up.
So now, i'll have to rethink what i'll vote, i've been given a second chance
Probably still 9
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #22
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
At first I didn't like what I heard (I really didn't like anything from their other album besides "Elegy" and that's probably just cause Ryan Clark is in it)
But listening to a couple songs again, it's fairly good. Can't vote cause I haven't gotten the whole CD yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. claw View Post
Though, in my opinion, as a drummer (I'm not that good, but I know what's hard), I would say moving the hands is harder than pumping the double bass. Greiner uses his hands more, from what I've heard.
From what I've heard from drummers I know, that's very likely

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #23
Tired of being attacked

I liked it far better than TD. While some of you whine about the clean vocals, I thought what was there added to the musical depth. Hard is relative to soft, thus the counterpoint added a great deal of contrast and color to the music. I thought this was a major maturation for an excellent band.

I thought this was a far more unique offering than TD. TD lost something with all the same vocal styling. I don't think they lost anything really, just gained new tools.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #24
Firefox enlightened

The cleans were just too stark of a contrast to the screaming for me. There are a few songs where they don't bother me, but I could do without them altogether.

And the solos...There was nothing unique about the solos. Ugh.
Mr. claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #25

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I liked it far better than TD. While some of you whine about the clean vocals, I thought what was there added to the musical depth. Hard is relative to soft, thus the counterpoint added a great deal of contrast and color to the music. I thought this was a major maturation for an excellent band.

I thought this was a far more unique offering than TD. TD lost something with all the same vocal styling. I don't think they lost anything really, just gained new tools.
i know you're a lot older than me ( ) and have listened to a lot more music than me, but i honestly don't see how you can say TPOF was more unique, TD was far more original and unique, not that the TPOF sucked or anything, i still listen to it a lot, but its not as unique and 'out there'

Unread 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #26
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog View Post
i know you're a lot older than me ( ) and have listened to a lot more music than me, but i honestly don't see how you can say TPOF was more unique, TD was far more original and unique, not that the TPOF sucked or anything, i still listen to it a lot, but its not as unique and 'out there'
TD had several very familiar vibes to me. Society's Finest used to sound a fair amount like it. In fact they were the first band that came to mind when I heard TD. I also am familiar with a dozen small bands that had a similar sound. TPOF, I would be hard pressed to find something that quite sounded like it. On TD, the monotony of the vocals seemed to me to be a problem. They ended up losing impact if the album was listened to as a whole.

I found the harsh contrasts to fit BTA style of music better. Beauty and harmony and harshness all rolled together.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #27

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
TD had several very familiar vibes to me. Society's Finest used to sound a fair amount like it. In fact they were the first band that came to mind when I heard TD. I also am familiar with a dozen small bands that had a similar sound. TPOF, I would be hard pressed to find something that quite sounded like it. On TD, the monotony of the vocals seemed to me to be a problem. They ended up losing impact if the album was listened to as a whole.

I found the harsh contrasts to fit BTA style of music better. Beauty and harmony and harshness all rolled together.
Ok man, I still differ, but its all our own opinions i guess. And since i don't listen to Society's Finest much, maybe TD is easier listening, cause i don't listen to a lot of stuff like it. But TPOF seems like i've heard it before, i can't specifally pin a band, but it doens't seem out of the ordinary.

Unread 09-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #28
I need a bigger car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog View Post

My friend and I both agree that there are a few similarities musically and instrumentally between Terminate Damnation and some old In Flames songs.

As of yet, I have not found a band out there that is at all similar to the sound on The Physics of Fire.
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
Support Southern Rock

The Physics of Fire is pretty bland though. The vocals all sound the same. There is no change is the emotion of the growls. TD holds so much more with different tones of growls and shouts and such. So its like we have a very plain growl (found in every other song on the album), and then mixed with clean vocals that shouldn't be. I liked it at first as I like most new stuff I hear right away, but it just doesn't stick as something I want to listen to.

TD was just amazing and I'd still listen to that any day (except for the Eulogy which I really don't like listening to slow music for like 6 minutes, unless its Opeth).
Unread 10-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #30
AofD

Send a message via AIM to KaiserZr Send a message via Yahoo to KaiserZr
I love their new cd...true I prefer the screaming from the first cd, but I did like the clean vocals in the new one. The drums were better and so was just the rhythm of the music...As for solos...come on the first cd had bluesy solo on track 6 (that surprisingly flowed very well) in their which I still love to listen to... but most of the solos were still good.

I gave it a 9/10
KaiserZr is offline   Reply With Quote