Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #1

hey guys...newbie here :(

Hey peeps im very new in the music world....i started getting singing lessons 4 months ago and i attend it every week...

though i want to sing like seal, guy sebastian and michael bubble.....hheh

i have a couple of questions;

1- i have a straight toned voice.....to become a really good singer do you have to have vibrato???
2- singing in the morning, does it help you alot??
3- karaoke.... does it help??

THANK YOU!!!

hasher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
Hey peeps im very new in the music world....i started getting singing lessons 4 months ago and i attend it every week...

Don't try and sound like somebody else... find your own personal mojo.

Quote:
1- i have a straight toned voice.....to become a really good singer do you have to have vibrato???
Vibrato is a technique that you have to learn, also, it helps a lot.
Quote:
Singing in general helps... but always, morning or not, warm your voice up...

Quote:
It's just more practice...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Band

Send a message via AIM to MrCrabby Send a message via MSN to MrCrabby
Quote:

I agree with Ax, but would add that you could choose higher goals than that.
Quote:
Vibrato develops as you learn to breathe and use your diaphragm properly. Vibrato helps with breath control as well as pitch. People who sing straight-tone all the time tend to sing a little on the flat side.
Quote:
Only if you are warmed up. You could hurt your voice if you sing a lot while not warmed up.
Quote:
As long as you are using correct technique that your instructor will teach you, yes.
MrCrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Waiting...

I wanted to get controlled vibrato, and when I first started taking voice, my instructor told me not too worry, that it would come in time. I agree now I seem to be getting it, but the more you practice (what your instructor tells you to practice i.e. exercises) the quicker it will come.

BTW, introduce yourself to the forum in the introduce yourself thread.
Hebrews 12:14-15
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
Jfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Loves Kisses

Wink

Quote:

i have a couple of questions;

THANK YOU!!!
I think dudes with a vibreto (no offense) sound wierd

personally i dont think u need to have a vibreto voice.
leave it to the guitar
Ooblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooblar View Post
I think dudes with a vibreto (no offense) sound wierd

personally i dont think u need to have a vibreto voice.
leave it to the guitar
Please do not offer advice in the vocal forum unless you have some sort of knowledge about singing.
Unread 05-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
David P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrabby View Post
Please do not offer advice in the vocal forum unless you have some sort of knowledge about singing.
Pwned.
relient nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #8

Thanks for your help guys!!!

ya cuz with vibrato obviously my singing teacher has it and i really want to learn it but i know it will take allloootttt of practice and time to develop it. and i have only been singing for 4 months and she wants me to sing in public at the end of this year!!

I **** my pants if i sing infront of the mirror!! ill think ill pop the question to her on how to develop it. I just want vibrato for the long notes....hehehe

my fav vocal exercise is the "bubble" one, how you put your lips together and blow...like as you come home from a long day and u sit and and make that "brr" noise from your lips...hehe thats always fun....and apperently a GREAT way to increase your tone and all that....

thanks for the help...im really starting to get into singing and i want to sing really well

Last edited by Ax; 05-30-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Unread 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #9

p.s i love this forum cuz you guys give out positive comment to help each other out...if i asked anyone thats not "singing" they will prob tell me im crap and tell me that im not good enough.....practice makes perfect hehe
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
Waiting...

Yes, "lip trills" as someone in the other thread identified... this exercise will develop your breathing, vocal power, and strength. And you can do them in the car, shower, etc. Great thing to practice. I always admird Frank Sinatra's vibrato most of all. He uses it sparingly but very effectively.
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
Unread 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfool View Post
Yes, "lip trills" as someone in the other thread identified... this exercise will develop your breathing, vocal power, and strength. And you can do them in the car, shower, etc. Great thing to practice. I always admird Frank Sinatra's vibrato most of all. He uses it sparingly but very effectively.
Subtle vibrato is great for pop music.
I guess that's why I don't care much for Josh Groban. I believe they have to use processing effects to tone down his massive vibrato.
Unread 05-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Waiting...

Quote:

... and i have only been singing for 4 months and she wants me to sing in public at the end of this year!!

I **** my pants if i sing infront of the mirror!! ill think ill pop the question to her on how to develop it. I just want vibrato for the long notes....hehehe
One of the best things about learning to sing properly is that when you go to sing in front of people, an amazing thing happens: confidence! I am no Pavarotti, but there's one thing I don't worry much about when I'm up front with a guitar in my hands. I know my vocals will be at least adequate... the rest still makes me kind of nervous.

Not that the first time is easy, but you will get used to it.

Last edited by Ax; 05-30-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Unread 07-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #13

yea my vocal coach wants me to sing infront of people this year!! IM NOT READY!!

i only been with her for about 4 months and she wants me to get out there!!

oh yea btw people singing 2 1/2 octives....is that good??? im a tenor
Unread 07-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
yea my vocal coach wants me to sing infront of people this year!! IM NOT READY!!

i only been with her for about 4 months and she wants me to get out there!!

oh yea btw people singing 2 1/2 octives....is that good??? im a tenor
2-1/2 Octaves is about average... And if she thinks you're ready, then the only thing holding yourself back is you.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #15
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
2-1/2 Octaves is about average... And if she thinks you're ready, then the only thing holding yourself back is you.
2 1/2 octaves is probably above average. I can only sing 2 octaves (Low B to High B). I could stretch that a little by belching a little lower and screaming a little higher but neither would be pleasant or good for my voice.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote