Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Godin/Seagull Man

$3800 Pickups Anyone?

Check these out. Vintage Gibson humbuckers for $3800? What would make pickups worth that much money? They're supposably from a 59 Les Paul.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Talking Yikes!!!>:O

honestly,Bro, in my eyes, the only thing that makes those pick-ups worth that kinda $$$ is the rich bloke who's willing to pay that for them!!!
i can get a custom guitar for that much loot!!!
i can even see spending that much for a custom amp, but not for pick-ups!!!
Then again, i'm a digital amp philistine, so what do i know!!!
Bobby Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
MOPAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Check these out. Vintage Gibson humbuckers for $3800? What would make pickups worth that much money? They're supposably from a 59 Les Paul.
I'll take three of them...

...oh... wait there's only two there, forget it then.

I guess if you had a '59 Les Paul and your pickups are dead then it would be better to keep it all original or as close to as possible for resale (they sell for a heck of a lot of money). But other then that no one in their right mind would spend this much on pickups, like bobby said you could get a custom made guitar (Les Paul style or whatever you want) for that much money.
b_hoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hoves View Post
I guess if you had a '59 Les Paul and your pickups are dead then it would be better to keep it all original or as close to as possible for resale (they sell for a heck of a lot of money).
They're not even a matched set. Only one of them is from a '59 Les Paul. The other one the guy says he bought on Ebay and he doesn't seem to know what it came off of.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #5
MOPAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
They're not even a matched set. Only one of them is from a '59 Les Paul. The other one the guy says he bought on Ebay and he doesn't seem to know what it came off of.
Didn't see that. Well that changes things a bit.
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

I checked the completed listings and it looks like 50's vintage Gibson pickups can go for around $2000 a piece.

Last edited by presbystrat; 05-17-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
MOPAR

I Remember seeing an early LP on UK ebay for 300,000 pounds. I donít know what that is in US$ (probably around $500,000 US) but it was $750,000 AUD.
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Make your own vintage pickups, take new ones, flip 'em upside down, and give 'em some good whacks with a hammer. I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to work.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Make your own vintage pickups, take new ones, flip 'em upside down, and give 'em some good whacks with a hammer. I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to work.
Probably works by weakening the magnets, giving them the same quality as aged magnets.

Unread 05-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #10

The fact that they are original PAF's doesn't make them worth that much. I can buy a new Gibson Custom Shop model for that much.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Ax
Rabid Wombat

... ... ... Notice the immense number of bids...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
... ... ... Notice the immense number of bids...
yep...at that price an unmatched pair isn't going to sell.

that being said, when having a matching pair of vintage pickups boosts your vintage '59 LPs value $15,000 and the pickups only cost you $3000, it's a good investment for a vintage collector.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #13

Just for reference:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

'58-'60 Les Paul Standards are in the 6 figure range now (just saw three, $160k, $240k, and $450k), so for a collector, that is nothing for pickups (that are rare themselves). The vintage guitar market is very interesting.

if you thought the pickups were high, check out what some people are willing to pay for vintage knobs, backplates, and other small parts.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #14

with two at that price alone you could by several 2 high end PRS's

IT'S STUPID TO PAY THAT MUCH!!!

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote