Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
love will find a way

Send a message via AIM to E-rock
finding an appropriate key

how can i know what key i should sing in? i can take some songs and play it in A and move the capo up the neck and sing it in each half step up, but i dunno whats best...

then there are songs where it just seems like i cant sing at all! i dont know my range or anything. im a little...confused.

anything would help, thanks.

Isn't Music a lot like Math?
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Sing in whatever key the song is in. If you're trying to find a key to play and sing in that you are comfortable then I'd really have to say that you should start with the original key and move it by halfsteps until you find a key you can sing in comfortably. There really shouldn't be a key that you'd be able to sing in and not in others... it's all in how the melody is written. I'd also be afraid that it might be that you are having trouble with certain intervals so I'd practice singing intervals with my piano or guitar if I were you. Also, Piano is a good way to measure your range.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Waiting...

At 15 I was confused about my vocal range. You will become more comfortable knowing your range the more you sing. And just because you think you sound good in the car, doesn't mean you will like the way you sound singing the same tune in public or on stage. My range was not that great after my voice changed, but well into my twenties I had much more range.

My advice, take some voice lessons for at least a few months. For the cost of mid range new guitar, you will learn so much.
Hebrews 12:14-15
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
Jfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfool View Post
At 15 I was confused about my vocal range. You will become more comfortable knowing your range the more you sing. And just because you think you sound good in the car, doesn't mean you will like the way you sound singing the same tune in public or on stage. My range was not that great after my voice changed, but well into my twenties I had much more range.

My advice, take some voice lessons for at least a few months. For the cost of mid range new guitar, you will learn so much.
I just noticed where it said he was 15... Yeah, I'd say that your voice has most likely not settled yet... Find a vocal instructor! A good vocal instructor should be able to help you immensely and if you go while you're still in this awkward age it will be easier to expand your range for further on down the road.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
love will find a way

really? that would be awesome because a lot of times, it seems like i need to "talk" the song instead of "sing" it...y'know?

back to that key thing...is that all just opinion? or is there a key for every voice?

Unread 05-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rock View Post
really? that would be awesome because a lot of times, it seems like i need to "talk" the song instead of "sing" it...y'know?

back to that key thing...is that all just opinion? or is there a key for every voice?
A key, to put it simply and not confuse things, is simply the scale that the song was written in...

Like say a song was written in C.. the C scale goes: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C so when you sing the song every not should be in that scale ie. if you were to sing A# it would not sound good and be considered off-key.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rock View Post

Opinion? There is a range for every voice but it is not related to key. You can go as low or as high as you want in any key.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Opinion? There is a range for every voice. You can go as low or as high as you want in any key.
I more or less hinted at that... I should have said that... but then again... certain melodies are harder to sing in certain keys for some voices because of how they are written...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
love will find a way

thank you!