Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #61
ERG guitars > All

I usually get the strange looks and weird comments from other guitarists. They look at my 8 string fanned fret guitar. Then they either stare at it like a calf looking at a new gate or they say why. Or my favorite, you can only play Nu-metal on that right. Then during the set I two hand tap more advanced chords then the keyboardist and then they finally get it. Ill never understand why guitar players are scared of extended range. Keyboardist already have it and use it,..and bass players are much more open to it. Its just strange. Guitar players are a strange breed.

Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #62
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007kay007 View Post
I usually get asked if I'm good, and how am I sapposed to answer that?
"Oh yes! I'm the best!" That sounds nice, and self-sentered.
"No, I'm horrid" That sounds like one of those people with no self-esteme....
Usually I just say that I'm "ok", but usually they're not satisfied with that, and I never know where to go from there...
someone once asked me if i was any good, and i replied," People tell me that i'm good, but i don't believe them!!!"

Bobby Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #63
major 4th to a minor 4th

I can now say, I play bass too. Well, I could say that before, but I didn't have one to play on. Drums next. Or not.
telecasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #64
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged by Fire View Post
I usually get the strange looks and weird comments from other guitarists. They look at my 8 string fanned fret guitar. Then they either stare at it like a calf looking at a new gate or they say why. Or my favorite, you can only play Nu-metal on that right. Then during the set I two hand tap more advanced chords then the keyboardist and then they finally get it. Ill never understand why guitar players are scared of extended range. Keyboardist already have it and use it,..and bass players are much more open to it. Its just strange. Guitar players are a strange breed.
I can't reach it...

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #65
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Dude, what is worse is when you walk off stage and people still ask "So, do you really play guitar?".

Those, to me, are the worst ones.

If I werent so scared of hurting the guitar, Id hit 'em with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #66
ERG guitars > All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I can't reach it...
Well ive never seen a hand small enough to be an impairment. Unless your just not using classical hand positioning. Like hooking your thumb over the neck. Ive even seen small handed guys playing 6 and 7 string basses, so im not convinced. To each there own though
Unread 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #67
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Because it's completely unnessecary.

I'll never understand why some guitarists think extended range is necessary to make the song sound good.
Unread 05-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #68
ERG guitars > All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
Because it's completely unnessecary.

I'll never understand why some guitarists think extended range is necessary to make the song sound good.
That makes no sense. Would you tell a keyboard player a third of his keys are unnessecary, would you tell a 5 string bassist that his low B is unnessecary, would you tell a twelve string acoustic guitarist that double courses are unnessecary. Many times extended range is completely neccessary. Many classical songs are not able to be played correctly on guitar without extended range. To you it may be unneccesary because you are not writing or playing songs that can make use of it. However many songs and techniques that are impossible on a 6 become available when you go extended range. Keyboardist are open to it, bassist are open to it, why must guitars never be innovated upon. I have no problem with sixes, and to each there own but saying range is unnessecary is asinine.
Unread 05-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #69

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
the fact that this thread has turned into a debate between standard range and extended range guitars is what's really asinine.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #70
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
On topic with the thread, I'd probably play:

Livin' on a Prayer solo (only solo slow enough)
Intro to AILD's "The Darkest Nights"
or some good August Burns Red riffs (that I need to learn right now)

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #71
ERG guitars > All

There were two comments on it that strayed off topic, I just answered them. I dont intend to debate it but since they felt it was ok to make off topic comments I figured it was ok to answer. I dont know how strict yall are about being off-topic. So you understand, I only answered that comment out of love for my instrument so here's a dancing monkey to make it all better

Though it might actually be perfectly on topic since the previous comments are exactly the reactions I get from guitarist and non guitarist " is that neccesary" ,

Last edited by Forged by Fire; 05-24-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Unread 05-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #72
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Talking

i like the monkey!!!
Unread 05-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #73
ERG guitars > All

That Zachary is HOTT!! Now your really making me go off topic

Isnt that made by the guy who does the equal tension string sets. Ive been meaning to pick a pack of those up.

[back on topic] Now tell us the reactions you get to playin that beast [/back on topic]
Unread 05-25-2007, 05:43 AM   #74
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Talking

Quote:
That Zachary is HOTT!! Now your really making me go off topic

Isnt that made by the guy who does the equal tension string sets. Ive been meaning to pick a pack of those up.

[back on topic] Now tell us the reactions you get to playin that beast [/back on topic]
i thought You might get a kick outta those pix!!!

Yup yup yup, that's fr the same guy!!! Actually, they're "optimized progressive tension" strings, but "equal tension" is pretty close!!!

The crowds love it when i start slappin' that puppy!!!
Unread 05-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #75

I say no and rip out a Project 86, POD, MXPX songs or just make something crazily good up!! It's fun to watch their faces!! Especially since I can out play some of the teens who actually took lessons, cause boy, I ain't never took no lessons!! (I learned how to play with a book that said how to tune it, a chord chart, and a little knowledge of music!!)

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote