Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #16
Taster of Pork!

I've noticed that I might of graduated from Bass to Tenor. Because back at Upper Elementary school, I used to sing Bass. But when I got to Middle School, I went from Bass to Tenor. That could be an improvement. I still manage to keep my voice in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
I've noticed that I might of graduated from Bass to Tenor. Because back at Upper Elementary school, I used to sing Bass. But when I got to Middle School, I went from Bass to Tenor. That could be an improvement. I still manage to keep my voice in check.
Kids don't sing bass... well.. I should say "normal kids don't sing bass". (There are a few, but those are rare and not normal so we'll say they don't.

A bass range wont be developed by a male until after his voice changes, so unless you went through puberty very young, or have a throat disorder (yes a disorder can cause good things), you weren't singing bass.

However, it is perfectly natural for a male's voice to shift dramatically from when they were a child to when they are a teenager. I've told you this once and I'll say it again: Get a vocal coach.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
Taster of Pork!

Quote:
I've told you this once and I'll say it again: Get a vocal coach.
I'm asking my mom to get me one before the year is halfway over, but she's telling me that she doesn't have the time or money yet. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
I'm asking my mom to get me one before the year is halfway over, but she's telling me that she doesn't have the time or money yet. Any suggestions?
I've yet to pay for a vocal lesson yet. I got free lessons from my High School choir director, my sister (a vocal major), and a community chorus director. I also went to college where there was a music school and was able to take lessons with some vocal majors (I even got course credit for doing it).

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
1 John 4:17

Well, not all of us have access to that. What if you live somewhere that the best you can get is a teacher who mostly teaches young children?

Acoustic:
Taylor 814CE Acoustic Guitar

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Well, not all of us have access to that. What if you live somewhere that the best you can get is a teacher who mostly teaches young children?
Better than nothing... I know a guy who got free vocal lessons from his music minister for agreeing to sing in his church choir. There are always resources. Pray.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #22

Okay, I need help... I'll try those overcoming nasalyness things once I get home... but my voice wants to start to go nasal once I add more air... and it sounds really good to me... but way too nasal to everybody else...

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #23
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC7rock View Post
Okay, I need help... I'll try those overcoming nasalyness things once I get home... but my voice wants to start to go nasal once I add more air... and it sounds really good to me... but way too nasal to everybody else...
Sounds like you're breathing wrong. Make sure that when you sing, you control things from as low as you can in your throat and chest and that your air supply is coming from your diaphragm.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #24

I think it's mainly where I'm focusing at... Cause when I better breathing it just makes it sound harsh... I tried those tips and they work, but I have to practice it 24/7 to keep it where I can do it. I've just found improvement on focusing it at my lips, but sometimes it seems too harsh...

Unread 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC7rock View Post
I think it's mainly where I'm focusing at... Cause when I better breathing it just makes it sound harsh... I tried those tips and they work, but I have to practice it 24/7 to keep it where I can do it. I've just found improvement on focusing it at my lips, but sometimes it seems too harsh...
Next time you sing sit down. Sit at attention on the edge of your chair... take your hands and find your bottom rib and place them just below it on each side. Breathe into them. Make sure that when you breathe you don't hold your breath for any length of time before you breath out. It should be immediate and flowing... Breathing properly should eliminate any 'harshness', in fact harshness probably stems from incorrect breathing.

Focusing at your lips is gonna make yourself use your throat way too much and is gonna cause bad tone and loss of control...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 01-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
Next time you sing sit down. Sit at attention on the edge of your chair... take your hands and find your bottom rib and place them just below it on each side. Breathe into them. Make sure that when you breathe you don't hold your breath for any length of time before you breath out. It should be immediate and flowing... Breathing properly should eliminate any 'harshness', in fact harshness probably stems from incorrect breathing.

Focusing at your lips is gonna make yourself use your throat way too much and is gonna cause bad tone and loss of control...
Ooo... Sounds bad...

I'll keep trying... I'm starting to think my problem is more of a air releasing problem... I can't seem to get it to come out clearly!!! It all wants to go up in my head again!!!

Last edited by LC7rock; 01-16-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Unread 01-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #27
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post

He may have been referring this exercise I have suggested for overcoming nasalness. But I agree that he should focus on breath support first.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #28

I'm doin' better on it now... I still need to work on it, but on the good side I don't sound nasal anymore... I just need to work on releasing the sound...

Unread 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #29

Little update... My voice sounds great... The problem was that I was not breathing properly and also I was holding back some. Little note here. Don't hold back, and don't make it feel focused in your throat. It should be focus outward and learn how to let it release clearly.

Unread 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #30

Vocal Advice Thread

Hello, I am in the middle of putting my home studio together. I am not a vocalist, but want to get a really nice mic for vocals that can be used for.
Bryancute is offline   Reply With Quote