Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
~*relient k*~

OLD VAT discussion.

is it possible that some people can't sing? 'cause i like to sing,but im not really good....at all.

Sponsored Links
Unread 08-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
I-IV-V

Naw, I mean everybody can sing. And we are always our own worst critic. Try posting a topic in the Vocals forum instead of this thread to get some more advice.

No, not everyone can make a living singing. But *everyone* can improve. And I know lots of people who think they are bad and they really aren't too bad. At least not as bad as they think they are.
Unread 08-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
how do i know when ive hit the right note?

ive tried using my guitar tuner, and it works to a degree. but i need a more accurate method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Unread 08-27-2004, 05:10 AM   #4
Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter
how do i know when ive hit the right note?

ive tried using my guitar tuner, and it works to a degree. but i need a more accurate method
be more specific, are you singing a song or a scale? or what?
Unread 09-04-2004, 05:38 PM   #5
the sun is often out

Thank you very much.

Last edited by natedawg5280; 02-26-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Unread 11-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #6

Hay thanx man just what i needed
Unread 08-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
iGuitar

Send a message via AIM to guitarjockey111 Send a message via MSN to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Skype™ to guitarjockey111
ok i got some problems ok a vocal teacher at chuurch said igot a good voice just needs work well like i was wondering how do i sing out of my diapraghm and how do i get better piitch like im palying guitar and sometimes i hit things perfectly then for the next week i cant hit so i was wondering coudl everyone give me some hints and like some good things jsut to get my voice better and like my pastor said if i could learn to sing he'd let me take over worhsip leader casue are's left and he;s been doing it and it;s to ahrd on him to do that and preach it kills his voice well i really want to sing and i want to sing good so could i get some help here guys thnx.

"A man without a vision is a man without a future. A man without a future will always return to his past. ~ Cleddie Keith"
Unread 08-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #8
Banned

well, it may help to read through this thread i read through the whole thing and agree with all of it. but i'll try to condense it and give you advice right here.

when you breathe diaphragmatically, you are using soley your diaphragm to inhale and exhale. if you are doing it properly your shoulders will not move until the middle of you fills with air. you must be very relaxed and it cannot be a rushed breath. when you normally talk, you kind of use your chest to breathe. it is a short breath that makes your shoulders rise. i didn't know how to breathe diaphragmatically until i started taking voice lessons. so, if you have the funds, find a good voice teacher and learn from them. and about staying on pitch; doing warmups helps you to stay on pitch easier, increases your range, improves your tonal quality for the rest of the day and in general, and many more things. i would recommend doing warmups to everyone. i do them every day, and i have a 3 octave and 4 halfstep range and it's still growing. good luck!
Unread 08-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #9

Hey y'all, I have a question. I'm thinking of taking voice lessons, I would appreciate some advice for what to look for in a voice teacher. I dont want to be singing like opera stuff, you know? I'm a guitar player, I just want something to go along with my guitar playing. I'm really into rock bands like U2, Switchfoot, and Coldplay, so if I was in a band, I would musically sound a bit like them. And advice would be appreciated.
Unread 08-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #10
Banned

You probably should have started a new thread for this, but whatever.

I'm more into rock singing as well, and when I started taking lessons, all I wanted to sing was rock. And mabe even scream a little. However, I soon learned that, to learn good vocal technique, it is best to practice with opera/choir music And then once you have that down, with the whole "voice with as little as possible treble" and correct breathing, then you can get into rock singing. I know it sounds boring, stupid, and unnecesary, but trust me- it's well worth it.

When you look for a voice teacher, usually they will give you a free trial lesson. Get as many of these as you can, then compare and contrast each one. Ask yourself things like did they stress diaphragmatic breathing? Did they teach you good posture? You know, stuff like that. Good luck!
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to JBanana Send a message via Yahoo to JBanana
Lately whenever I sing (which is fairly often) my voice gets really strained and sore. I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm sort of worried because I'm afraid I'm ruining my voice. What can I do to help my throat from getting sore and to preserve my voice?
Unread 09-20-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
Banned

I have felt this vocal fatigue before, but I started singing a lot (therefore strengthening my vocal cords) so not recently. How much have you been singing in these circumstances? 30 minutes or several hours? Because if it didn't take to long, you may be straining. I strained until I started taking voice lessons. Also (if you are singing correctly from your diaphragm), it may be a sign of an increased range. When I felt it, it almost felt as if my vocal cords had been stretched by being used enough. I'm honestly not sure if it's good or bad.

No matter what, you should always do warm-ups before you sing. It improves your vocal technique, allows you to sing longer/harder without as much chance of damaging your vocal cords, increases range, improves tonal quality, helps perfect pitch, and many more things. Voice lessons might be good. Get a teacher that will show you some good warm ups. If you can't find any warm up techniques, ask me. I'll show you some good ones. Hope this helps.

-Jesse
Unread 11-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #13

A question- my range is from one octave below middle C to two octaves above it. Does that make me an alto? just wondering...
Unread 11-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #14
Banned

Sounds like a first tenor or a second alto; either one really, depending on your gender.
Unread 11-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #15

uh...I'm a girl...wow I could sing 1st tenor...
Closed Thread