Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Logistics > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

Everlasting God - who sings this?

The other day, I heard on the radio a cover of the song "Everlasting God", where the background singers were doing sort of a 'round' with the lead vocalist. Seems like the background singers were doing the 'Strength will rise as wait upon the Lord....' part while the lead singer was singing something else. It sounded really pretty, but unfortunately I didn't get the name of the artist.

I have Chris Tomlin's version, and he doesn't do it this way. Does anyone here know of a recording of the song done like this?

Thanks!
Rick <><

Ricky C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Probably Lincoln Brewster's version. It's been getting a lot of airplay recently.
SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe F
I know Brenton Brown's version (He wrote it) is getting a lot of airplay on Christian radio around here. I recall there is some kind of overlap going on with him and some background singers, but I can't remember if it is the way you describe.
Joe F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Brenton Brown wrote the song.
Lincoln Brewster does the version that's getting the most airplay currently and it has the ending where he sings "Strength will rise..." over-top of the background vocals singing "You are the everlasting God...".

This is the version that we do at church.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe F
That's interesting. I checked the website of our local Christian radio station and the version they have in rotation right now is definitely performed by Brenton Brown. Maybe it varies by area of the country or something.
Joe F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
support the rabid

I don't listen to K-Love, but I know that the Lincoln Brewster version is the one they've been playing heavily (according to my wife). The Brenton Brown version was played heavily last year.
psalm63adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #7

I located a copy of the song on YouTube, supposedly performed by Lincoln Brewster. That must be the version I heard on the radio, as it does feature background vocals that are singing different phrases than the lead singer.

I wish I could hear more clearly what they're singing, especially on that ending! It sounds so beautiful, and I'd love to teach it to my choir so we can try to do it that way.

Thanks so much for the responses. You guys are great!

Sincerely,
Rick <><
Ricky C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky C View Post
I located a copy of the song on YouTube, supposedly performed by Lincoln Brewster. That must be the version I heard on the radio, as it does feature background vocals that are singing different phrases than the lead singer.

I wish I could hear more clearly what they're singing, especially on that ending! It sounds so beautiful, and I'd love to teach it to my choir so we can try to do it that way.

Thanks so much for the responses. You guys are great!

Sincerely,
Rick <><
On the version that I have the background singers keep singing "You are the everlasting God, the everlasting God, the everlasting God, the everlasting" while Lincoln sings parts of the verse and then some improv.
What's neat is that during the bridge, right before the outro, Lincoln is singing "You are the everlasting God..." while the background singers are singing the verse's "Strength will rise..." part...sort of a role reversing bit of interplay.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
übergeek

Yeah, the Lincoln Brewster version is the one we do...and we do the stuff at the end. Cong loves it.

Acoustics: 2003 Taylor 855ce-LTD L1 (Brazilian), 1993 Taylor 810, 2005 Taylor K4 preamp, 2006 ESP XTone PA1 (Sunburst)
Electrics: 2007 ESP Vintage Plus Distressed, 1998 Fender AmDx Fat Stratocaster (Black with EMG SAV + SPC kit), 1997 PRS CE24 (Ruby), 2006 ESP LTD EC-1000s (Sunburst)

Amps: Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and PPC212 cab

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” - St. Francis of Assisi
trpullen is offline   Reply With Quote