Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Life Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
I-IV-V

Hookah Smoking

My date and I along with a few other people are going to a hookah lounge before prom which is coming up soon. I was just wondering how bad this sort of thing is for one's health. Obviously it's just flavored tobacco (nothing illegal) so I'm mainly wondering about it from a health perspective rather than a moral / legal.

Is it as bad as cigarette smoking? One time probably won't hurt, right? What if I don't inhale the smoke? Is that still as bad?

Thanks.

Unread 04-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
My date and I along with a few other people are going to a hookah lounge before prom which is coming up soon. I was just wondering how bad this sort of thing is for one's health. Obviously it's just flavored tobacco (nothing illegal) so I'm mainly wondering about it from a health perspective rather than a moral / legal.

Is it as bad as cigarette smoking? One time probably won't hurt, right? What if I don't inhale the smoke? Is that still as bad?

Thanks.
treat it like a cigar and do not inhale the smoke. (If you do, your lungs will burn)

Assuming you are of age... I don't think there is anything too unhealthful about the extremely occasional smoke.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
♥ Mrs. Skeeter ♥

Send a message via MSN to Pre-Ex-Girlfriend
This is about as much help as I can be.
Unread 04-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
regardless of whether or not it's good or bad for you, hookah is...something...

in San Diego all of the Christian scene-kids who stopped smoking cigarettes took up hookah instead...when hookah stopped being cool, they just started smoking their black and milds again.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Crushy McSternum

Smoking a hookah one time and then saying that you've done horrible, irreversible damage to yourself is like saying that your liver is going to fall out next time you take a crap because you got drunk once.

Like Bill said, treat it like a cigar. Don't pay any mind when people tell you to do crazy crap, like doing it through your nose or seeing just how much smoke you can get in your lungs.

Now thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
-Woman's Constancy (John Donne)
H.M. Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
I-IV-V

Okay, thanks a lot for the advice...that was very helpful. I think I'm going to do it and just treat it like a cigar. It might be slightly bad for me health-wise, but I can say for certain that this is just going to be a once-per year thing at most. It's in another town and everything so it's not like it will be easy for me to start going there all the time.

Yes, I realize it probably sounds like an addict, "just one time, I promise" but I can state it for sure in this case.

Thanks.
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Be happy

No, you don't sound like an addict.
Unread 04-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
It might be slightly bad for me health-wise, but I can say for certain that this is just going to be a once-per year thing at most.
A full day of breathing normal air probably nets you more pollutants than an hour in a hookah bar.

If that makes you feel better.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
treat it like a cigar and do not inhale the smoke. (If you do, your lungs will burn)
Actually, this isn't how you smoke a hookah. Tobacco for a hookah is very mild, and will not burn your lungs if packed correctly. I have many friends who will not touch cigars or cigarettes or pipes, but enjoy a regular hookah.

If you don't inhale it, it will take a long time to finish. You can smoke it like a cigar or a pipe and enjoy the flavor, but usually people take long, deep inhalations split up by short puffs to enjoy the flavor.

Like all tobacco smoke, there is a risk. However, from what I've read and heard the risk is very low with hookah even compared to cigars or pipes just because of how mild the tobacco is.

Just sayin', if you're enjoying a hookah as it is intended, you will inhale. I wouldn't recommend smoking a hookah three times a day, but you should be fine. If you're of legal age, don't drink alcohol while you do it. This is generally a good rule of thumb (that I sometimes break ) for all tobacco since alcohol can temporarily strip away the lining of your mouth and allow the more dangerous elements of tobacco to have easier access to your bloodstream.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
Epic Clayail

Hm, I just went to check on some of the studies I know and a few have recently been countered. Because of how light the tobacco is, people tend to smoke more than they would and this overrides the "benefits" of smoking a less dangerous tobacco.

But another study I have says cigarettes and hookahs pose equal risk, and another present the shisha used for hookah as in and of itself less dangerous than the tobacco used for cigarettes.

So exercise caution, and with all tobacco, make it a luxury. My big concern now is whether the coals used for hookahs present additional risk.

Unread 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Epic Clayail

Okay, sorry to poke in again, but looking into it, one of the reports uses the measurement of a regular hookah smoker as someone who smokes two to three sessions a day, with sessions ranging from 30 to 45 minutes. I don't know if that sort of evidence can directly apply to someone who smokes a hookah once in a blue moon, or a couple times a month.

Unread 04-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #12

Are there really people that would spend 2 hours a day smoking?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Are there really people that would spend 2 hours a day smoking?
Supposedly it's common in parts of the Middle East where hookahs are part of the culture: a session in the morning or early afternoon, and one at night.

As for other tobacco, the average cigarette takes three to five minutes. Let's say five. A pack holds 20 - that's 100 minutes. Folks who smoke a pack a day are smoking over an hour and a half.

Unread 04-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
Tired of being attacked

I spoke that from usage of Syrian and Lebanese tobacco which was not intended for inhalation. (or at least thats what my friends from those locale's said) And I accidentaly inhaled on one of them, and it hurt like heck. That said, middle eastern tobacco's could be far different.
you had to inhale the smoke into your mouth, but not your lungs. It sounds a little weird, but it was easy to tell with that stuff. Perhaps my experiences with it have been a touch abnormal for this continent, as it was with middle eastern friends who had purchased their tobacco in the middle east.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
Puts the sexy in dyslexia

Quote:

Thanks.
As a hookah enthusiast...

Hookahs are intended to be inhaled. It is by far the mildest thing I have ever smoked, and should be very easy on the lungs. From a health perspective, smoking once will make absolutely no difference to you whatsoever. You will not become addicted, you will not get cancer, you will not develop a smoker's caugh, you will not suddenly be out of shape and unable to climb a set of stair without losing your breath.

Do it once and enjoy it. It really isn't a big deal.
Dr. Worm is offline   Reply With Quote