Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #61

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
I don't know anything about the powerhouse pickup system. Are they supposed to be like EMG's?
The Powerhouse pickups are supposed to be a low noise pickup set. AFAIK, they aren't active pickups. The only active electronics on the guitar is the 12db mid-boost control.

interestingly, the Fender site says the Powerhouse Strat has a poplar body. I wonder if the Fender site is wrong or if the MF site just hasn't been updated in awhile.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #62
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Send a message via ICQ to mt_spiffy Send a message via AIM to mt_spiffy Send a message via MSN to mt_spiffy Send a message via Yahoo to mt_spiffy Send a message via Skype™ to mt_spiffy
Quote:
How do you like the American Strat? Make sure you are evaluating the feel of it as well as the sound. When comparing guitars, also see how they sound unplugged. Electric guitars that sound better unplugged will also sound better plugged in. Pickups cannot make up for this. Personally I would go with the hardtail in a minute. I do not have much use for a whammy. The only thing I find that they are good for is throwing your guitar out of tune. Hardtails should have better sustain and overall sound too.
Which one? The hardtail feels wonderful, sounds a little thing but then again it has brand new strings. The custom paint one needs a setup, the action is quite high. The custom pickups one also feels great.

Quote:
I'm still not convince you can get a brand new American for $700. Are you sure it's not a Highway One Strat. They will still say made in USA but they are actually assembled in the US from imported parts. I think I would rather have one of the two MIMs you listed above. They both have the wider neck like the American Strat. I also like the 12 inch (flatter) radius on the first one. The neck specs would be a matter of personal preference though.
It is a Standard American hardtail. They will also sell me a Standard American with tremelo for $800.

I didnt notice the wider neck, which guitars is this true on? Maybe it has something to do with why I like the feel of some guitars better than others. I discovered I do not like v-neck.
mt_spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #63

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy View Post
I didnt notice the wider neck, which guitars is this true on? Maybe it has something to do with why I like the feel of some guitars better than others. I discovered I do not like v-neck.
All three guitars (the Deluxe Players, American Standard and Powerhouse) have a slightly wider neck than an MIM Standard. The American Standard and Powerhouse have a 9.5" neck radius while the Deluxe Players' Strat has a 12" radius. This means that the fretboard on the DPS is somewhat flatter compared to the other two. Generally speaking, a flatter neck is preferred by folks who want to play faster lead work...though this certainly isn't a set-in-stone rule.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #64
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Send a message via ICQ to mt_spiffy Send a message via AIM to mt_spiffy Send a message via MSN to mt_spiffy Send a message via Yahoo to mt_spiffy Send a message via Skype™ to mt_spiffy
I wish that Player's mexi was $200 cheaper, I'd get it and call it a day.
Unread 04-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #65
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

continued . . .

Quote:
1. BRAND NEW hard-tail American strat, standard (no frills) $700
2. USED American strat, custom paint job, some dings in the body, $500
3. USED American strat, upgraded with noiseless pickups, locking tuners, sanded neck, and a few other small things I cant remember $640
I dont know if you guys are still paying attention, but this is now more complicated. I decided I want noiseless pickups if at all possible. I'm currently not looking at option #3 until they fix the pickups, #2 might be sold already, if it's not I may still be looking at it.

So we have

1. NEW hard-tail $700 + noiseless pickups (I'll negotiate them throwing them in)
2. USED American standard with custom paint $500 + noiseless pickups

From earlier in this discussion
4. NEW Deluxe Players Strat (MIM) includes noiseless pickups $500

And, I found today
5. NEW American Deluxe HHS includes noiseless SCNs and locking tuners, but is has a humbucker which I dont want, and the UGLIEST pickguard ever $850

#4 feels wonderful, it might be the best playing guitar out of the lot, but I'd like to have 22 frets, plus I'm paying $200 extra on a Mexican for $150 noiseless pickups. #5 sounds the best, if it didnt have a humbucker I would get it and who cares about the ugly finish.

Do the hard-tail fans suggest getting it and upgrading to noiseless, over #5?

Thanks guys!
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #66
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I dont know if you guys are still paying attention, but this is now more complicated. I decided I want noiseless pickups if at all possible. I'm currently not looking at option #3 until they fix the pickups, #2 might be sold already, if it's not I may still be looking at it.

So we have

1. NEW hard-tail $700 + noiseless pickups (I'll negotiate them throwing them in)
2. USED American standard with custom paint $500 + noiseless pickups

From earlier in this discussion
4. NEW Deluxe Players Strat (MIM) includes noiseless pickups $500

And, I found today
5. NEW American Deluxe HHS includes noiseless SCNs and locking tuners, but is has a humbucker which I dont want, and the UGLIEST pickguard ever $850

#4 feels wonderful, it might be the best playing guitar out of the lot, but I'd like to have 22 frets, plus I'm paying $200 extra on a Mexican for $150 noiseless pickups. #5 sounds the best, if it didnt have a humbucker I would get it and who cares about the ugly finish.

Thanks guys!
I would drop the mexi strat out of the running personally. I would go with one or two. Not to spam, but if those noiseless pickups cost you more than 125 PM me. I have a new set...

I would probably go with number 2 personally.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #67
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

I want to drop it, but it sounds and plays so well. I just cant put it down.

The noiseless are $150 in the store for the vintage, $200 for the SCN. I'm sure I can get them for less. Which ones are yours?

BTW, I discovered #5 is this guitar, in the color shown:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=511146
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #68
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I want to drop it, but it sounds and plays so well. I just cant put it down.

The noiseless are $150 in the store for the vintage, $200 for the SCN. I'm sure I can get them for less. Which ones are yours?

BTW, I discovered #5 is this guitar, in the color shown:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=511146
SCN, (black coils) I got them and just need to liquidate them for a different project.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #69
Pearl plays her guitar

Now we're talking. IMHO, SCN's are the bomb!!! Especially when you pair them up with the Fender S-1 switching system. Well, that and the neck! That's why my American Deluxe Strat is almost always the first one I grab when I go out and play. The others get played because I feel guilty neglecting them.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #70
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:

Thanks guys!
I suggest playing them both side by side and see what you like best. Personally I would go for the hard tail American and buy used pickups on Ebay to upgrade. You can usually get used pickups for about half the price of new ones.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
The Powerhouse pickups are supposed to be a low noise pickup set. AFAIK, they aren't active pickups. The only active electronics on the guitar is the 12db mid-boost control.

interestingly, the Fender site says the Powerhouse Strat has a poplar body. I wonder if the Fender site is wrong or if the MF site just hasn't been updated in awhile.

The Powerhouse Strat uses modified American Standard pickups (same as the American Series, but without the staggered magnets) in conjunction with a "dummy" coil. The dummy coil does not sense the strings, but it does eliminate or substantialy reduce hum. As stated above, the midboost is the active part of the system and this pre-amp is either the same or identical to the one used in the Eric Clapton Strat. The difference is that the EC model gives you a 25db boost while the Powerhouse only gives you 12. This can be very easily modifed by removing a pair of resistors from the circuit resulting in a full 25db boost.

As far as body wood goes; I beleive that all MIM Fenders have been using alder bodies for quite some time. This could change, however, if the price goes up which would dictate that they go back to poplar. And remember too, that poplar is not an inferior wood. It has a greenish tint that might make it unsuitable for transparent finishes, but it's all a matter of supply and demand. There was a brief period during the mid-90's when alder was in such short supply and expensive, that some of the American Standards were actaully made of poplar! Once the price of poplar became higher than alder, Fender started using the cheaper wood (alder) for most of thier guitars with the exception of the Squiers.
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote