Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #46
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Send a message via ICQ to mt_spiffy Send a message via AIM to mt_spiffy Send a message via MSN to mt_spiffy Send a message via Yahoo to mt_spiffy Send a message via Skype™ to mt_spiffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
All that said, I would probably go for #1 first, #3 second, though if I wanted a bit of a project, #2 would be great too.

How is #2 a project, other than touching up the finish?

mt_spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #47
Darth Elevator

That sounds like a project to me. Plus if other upgrades that are already installed on #3 are on the menu to be added...

My opinion only...
Unread 04-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
That sounds like a project to me.
it could've been a project, but the OP has also indicated that it is a very good looking refinish, in which case I'd say that the fact that it's a refinish may be negligible.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Send a message via ICQ to mt_spiffy Send a message via AIM to mt_spiffy Send a message via MSN to mt_spiffy Send a message via Yahoo to mt_spiffy Send a message via Skype™ to mt_spiffy
Well, as far as the whole noiseless pickups thing goes, here's a major update.

Based on what you guys said I decided to A/B the noiseless with a standard strat. So I went back to the music store to try #3. They did not have an American strat, so I was comparing it to a 60s Mexican.

And the noiseless guitar sounded horrible. Muddy. Warmer and fuller, but no treble, almost like the tone controls were all the way down. My preferential sound is neck/middle pickups, tone controls at 10, into a Fender Twin with the bright switch on and EQ flat. In this case, I had to turn the treble up all the way and it still wasnt bright enough.

So I grabbed the Mexican Fender and plugged it in, it sounded wonderful. I figured, dang, I cant use these noiseless pickups, that sucks.

I happened to be driving by the other guitar store (#1) and decided to stop and see if they had anything new. Well, they had a Mexican Fender with noiseless pickups. I decided to see if those sounded as bad. And they didnt. They sounded wonderful. In fact, they sounded better than guitar #1 which I A/Bed it against. What gives?

So I called Fender. Do the Mexicans that comes tock with noiseless, are those the same as the such and such in this guitar that were bought in 1999 and etc. Fender told me there were two types of noiseless but those two should be the same, and neither should sound how I decribed. Maybe when they changed the pickups they didnt change the tone controls, check and see if they're both 1meg. So I called back to the first music store and they checked, both tone controls are 1meg.

So now what? I cant figure it out. Maybe the pickups are wired wrong in #3, maybe they're broken, maybe something else is wired wrong, or maybe they just suck. Too bad because that guitar feels wonderful and now I really want one with noiseless.

It might also be prudent to note, when testing #3 there's still a bit of noise in the amp. They tell me, that's all guitars at this store, we're too near the power lines. Really? But the Mexican noiseless at the other store was silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
it could've been a project, but the OP has also indicated that it is a very good looking refinish, in which case I'd say that the fact that it's a refinish may be negligible.
A good looking refinish with some dings. I would want to touch them up. I might also want to add locking tuners and noiseless eventually depending on cost. Those features are starting to sound really good to me, but, see my previous post re: noiseless.

But, my point was, it shouldnt require a project to be a good playing guitar, just a setup. I assume.

BTW, how cool is it that you guys got off on a whole tangent thread about pickups that I dont understand?! I love coming back and having a lot to read. Sooner or later I'll learn something!

Last edited by thesteve; 04-03-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Unread 04-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy View Post
A good looking refinish with some dings. I would want to touch them up.
IMO body dings = character. I really should take some close ups of the dings and scars that came with my older MIJ...I don't think that guitar would be nearly as rad in my mind if it was in mint condition...but to each his own.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #51
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
IMO body dings = character. I really should take some close ups of the dings and scars that came with my older MIJ...I don't think that guitar would be nearly as rad in my mind if it was in mint condition...but to each his own.
Normally I agree with you. But the custom finish is so cool it doesnt look right marred. A used Strat with a standard finish, I would leave the character. This finish is character all on its own.

Any help with my noiseless dilemma oh master Steve?
Unread 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Any help with my noiseless dilemma oh master Steve?
Haha...I honestly don't have any personal experience with noiseless pickups, I just know what I've read from other sources. if you can find a shop that has test models on the floor with different pickup models in them, then that'd be a good place to check 'em out...of course in San Diego I've only found one of these places.

I think that Harmony-Central does have alot of pickup reviews on there. Let me dig up the page with the link: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...+Guitar+Pickup
You just have to be able to weed through them and read the reviews that actually have good content in them.

I know that Fender has both the "Vintage Noiseless" and "Samarium Cobalt Noiseless" (SCN) pickups. Seymour Duncan makes one or two stacked single-coil pickups for Stratocasters as does Dimarzio. Lace Sensor has also been mentioned in this thread, and EMGs might not be a bad option either, though EMGs aren't for everyone. I'm sure there's more manufacturers out there too.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #53

Send a message via AIM to crazychu
would a whammy bar work with all strats? my fender didn't come with one
crazychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychu View Post
does it have springs in the back? if so, then there should be a place to attach the whammy bar on the front. if so then buy one and use it, they rock.

Check out my blog?

irtrogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychu View Post
if you have a tremolo, there is a whammy bar out there for you. Be careful to purchase the right bar though, as there have been variations among bars over time. For example, I don't think the bar for the current Fender American trems will fit in the Fender MIM trems.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to Jaymze13
#1 sounds like a good option. When finances can afford you can always switch out the pickups if needed. If I had a choice and one of them was a hardtail, I'd go with the hardtail personally.

#3's selling point would be the noiseless pickups.
Jaymze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #57
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

I'm hoping they can fix #3 to sound good with the noiselss pickups. If not I will likely get #1 or #2 and get noiseless pickups for it.

It's kind of discouraging, the best sounding guitar I've played in all this was the MIM with noiseless pickups:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=511597

And the best feeling guitar was a Powerhouse MIM strat

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=510007

Both cost $500 for which cost I can get an American.
Unread 04-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #58
Godin/Seagull Man

How do you like the American Strat? Make sure you are evaluating the feel of it as well as the sound. When comparing guitars, also see how they sound unplugged. Electric guitars that sound better unplugged will also sound better plugged in. Pickups cannot make up for this. Personally I would go with the hardtail in a minute. I do not have much use for a whammy. The only thing I find that they are good for is throwing your guitar out of tune. Hardtails should have better sustain and overall sound too.

I'm still not convince you can get a brand new American for $700. Are you sure it's not a Highway One Strat. They will still say made in USA but they are actually assembled in the US from imported parts. I think I would rather have one of the two MIMs you listed above. They both have the wider neck like the American Strat. I also like the 12 inch (flatter) radius on the first one. The neck specs would be a matter of personal preference though.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #59
Groove On

Quote:
I'm hoping they can fix #3 to sound good with the noiselss pickups. If not I will likely get #1 or #2 and get noiseless pickups for it.

It's kind of discouraging, the best sounding guitar I've played in all this was the MIM with noiseless pickups:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=511597

And the best feeling guitar was a Powerhouse MIM strat

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=510007

Both cost $500 for which cost I can get an American.
Whats the feeling on that Powerhouse being a Poplar body instead of an Alder or Ash?
Unread 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #60
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
Whats the feeling on that Powerhouse being a Poplar body instead of an Alder or Ash?
I think Poplar may get a bad rap because it's one of the cheaper hardwoods. It's still a tonewood with similar tone characteristics as alder. I believe it is lighter than alder and ash. Its green color makes it only suitable for solid finishes. I think it is also softer than some of the other tonewoods but I don't know what ramifications that has. My Godin SDxt body has a hard rock maple center with poplar wings.

I don't know anything about the powerhouse pickup system. Are they supposed to be like EMG's?

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote