Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Beyer413
Gagging while singing

It's a new problem I'm having.

I haven't in any way changed my technique, but I'm finding that I start to gag while singing, and I have to stop for a few seconds before I can get going again. Anyone have any clue why this could be? I have a feeling it's probably technique , so if anyone knows why it would be, please let me know.

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Beyer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Are you breathing regularly? Also make sure you keep your tongue forward and out of the way of your uvula... and swallow your saliva every once in a while so it doesn't well up...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Ba da ba ba ba

Yeah, this happens to me every once in a while. It's usually caused by saliva for me.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Trust me... with all the problems and questions I've had... I've become somewhat of a database for vocal problems and solutions... Kim told me lots of things... I may not be the best vocalist... but I know problems mainly because I have them...

It could be any of these problems... so when you sing make sure you're breathing, remember to swallow and keep your tongue forward... it'll solve more problems than you knew you had...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Godin/Seagull Man

I've never heard of that problem before. The only thing I can think of is that you are trying too hard to open up your throat and mouth. I seem to get that gagging feeling when I do an exagerated yawn. My suggestion would be to relax your jaw, let your mouth drop down naturally and let your breath support do the work.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote