Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: what band has the best guitarrist?
Offspring 2 5.13%
relient k 4 10.26%
philmore 2 5.13%
P.O.D 3 7.69%
limp bizkit 0 0%
ghoti hook 0 0%
bon jovi 3 7.69%
santana 8 20.51%
blink182 1 2.56%
nickelback 1 2.56%
beatles 2 5.13%
creed 7 17.95%
good charlotte 0 0%
green day 1 2.56%
the doors 3 7.69%
alien ant farm 0 0%
kid rock 0 0%
pax217 0 0%
slipknot 0 0%
project 86 0 0%
living sacrifice 1 2.56%
blindside 0 0%
smiley kids 0 0%
ace trouble shooter 0 0%
nirvana 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2002, 02:08 AM   #76
The Non-Canadian Hoser

Send a message via AIM to hoser Send a message via Yahoo to hoser
and man, he is that good. You'll be drooling after you hear "stream" if you can find it. and I should also say, do you know what it is to judge someone's ability at anything before you actually have seen/heard/whatever them do it? it is to "pre-judge" or to be "prejudice." I'm not calling you a racist or anything, but it's true, you did put down a guitar player without hearing him, so I wonder if that translates into any other parts of your life...just a thought, an honest one, and my experience with you, I really can't offer much more than that anyway, can I?

"Oh sweet merciful crap, my car!" -Homer Simpson

"I'd rather light a candle then curse your darkness." -John Goodman in <u>Raising Arizona</u>

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2002, 02:10 AM   #77
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by hoser
ok man, now that is just dumb of you to say
No it isn't. I would think that the greatest guitarist of all time would be VERY well known.

Quote:
So anyway pleasurespain, don't judge without hearing guitarists first.
I didn't. I just really doubt it. Did you not notice that I asked for something to hear? Yeah you must have since you responded to it. Don't accuse me of judging without hearing when I ask for what to hear.

Quote:
and try not to be so hostile
I maintain that I wasn't.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2002, 02:19 AM   #78
The Non-Canadian Hoser

I'm glad you didn't think you were hostile, cause that gives me the impression you weren't trying to be, but I definitely experienced you being very defensive and hostile, and I think most people here have. There's a saying too, that if one person calls you a jackass, then don't worry about it too much. If two people call you a jackass, you might want to check the mirror for ears. And if three people call you a jackass? well then you may as well buy a saddle. So if others think you have come off hostile too, I don't know why you feel the need to deny it so much. Just honest feedback is all. And by the way, you're the best guitarist of all time probably would be VERY well known, but it's such an opinion thing that it is not definitely for sure. I heard a guitarist in a coffee shop one time that was one of the best guitar players I've ever heard, busting out all kinds of awesome jazz songs and then just improving off of himself doing triple octave scales and such effortlessly and never messing up. He played "The Girl from Ipanema" perfectly and he said (maybe a lie) that he hadn't played it for like 5 years. He was incredible, and there he was, playing in some coffee shop. That's my point I guess. Definitely check out Tim though, and tell me what you think after you have, I'm interested to know...

"I'd rather light a candle then curse your darkness." -John Goodman in <u>Raising Arizona</u>

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:01 AM   #79

What about guys like Yngwie Malmsteen (sp?)? A lot of people haven't heard of him but he's one of the best guitarists out there. The same goes for Tim. He's more of a studio musician but has gained notoriety from his work with Dave Matthews (and rightfully so). There are plenty of excellent guitarists noone's heard of (once again, I say studio guitarists). Not everyone is looking for fame; Tim rarely speaks during his shows; he just plays.
nestamanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:35 AM   #80
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to guyforGod
here are some guitarists that should be on anyone's list of the top players:

Phil Keaggy

Eric Clapton (any period, any band, any style - he's amazing.)

Tim Reynolds ("Stream" from Live at Luther College still kicks my butt every time i hear it)

Jimi Hendrix

John Petrucci (sp??)

Jimmy Page

Django Reinhardt (French swing guitarest from the 1930s.... only played with 2 fingers and still cooked)

Slash

Tommy Shaw (of Styx "fame" [or infamy])

Eddie Van Halen (even though i really can't stand his band, their music, or anything they stood for)

now here are some ppl who should not be on the list:
Quote:
Dave Matthews
I am a HUGE DMB fan and yes his songs are really original and well written, however his skills on guitar are somewhat lacking and getting worse as time goes by. Live at Luther College was great, but most of the solos were Tim with Dave doing backup strumming. Don't get me wrong, Dave is great at what he does, but what he does doesn't qualify as "the best."

Quote:
The Beatles
Catchy tunes and great press coverage don't mean terrific guitar playing. Again, they were great songwriters and great at what they did and the did innovate a lot, but they were at best average musicians.

Quote:
Incubus
oh gosh. lets not even go there.

Quote:
Kurt Cobain
He was a good guitar player when he was high out of his mind and i would have loved to see what a sober kurt could have given us, but his parts in songs weren't anything that several other guitarists at the time couldn't have done just as well..

Thats all for now. I'm sure i'll come up with more later... I guess I'll just add them as they come to me.
guyforGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2002, 03:09 PM   #81
Contradiction is Balance

*drools*

<FONT SIZE=2>"I love America. I think itís an extraordinary idea." - Bono
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:16 PM   #82
Finally A College Grad!

Send a message via AIM to SnapCase
Tim Reynolds is awesome! Stream is one of the most impressive song I have heard in a while.

My vote would be for Pertucci of Dream Theater
SnapCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2002, 02:34 PM   #83
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
ywngie malmstein (or however you spell his name) is such a boring player. Technically good, but its all squealy widdly stuff, not musical enough.

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2002, 03:54 PM   #84

Personally, I like Blink 182, tom. their stuff is just plain, but it sounds wicked good. i know it's mad simple but he plays the songs so good, its just original

Mike
mhz2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2002, 04:30 PM   #85
Banned

Wrong thread. lol
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2002, 02:08 AM   #86
The Non-Canadian Hoser

I agree with Pleasurespain, that's ridiculous to even consider Blink to have the best guitarist ever, lets be honest here. And even if that was the forum, then how can you not say that the Beatles are on the top of best guitar songwriting? Seriously, how bout songs like Day Tripper, Blackbird, and Here Comes the Sun? Here Comes the Sun was written by George, Day Tripper and Blackbird by Lennon/McCartney. Don't even mention Blink in this forum, please.

Unread 01-17-2002, 02:19 AM   #87
Unregistered

The best aren't always the most popular

Phil Keaggy-
and he shouldn't be at the bottom of the list either.
Unread 01-17-2002, 02:31 AM   #88
The Non-Canadian Hoser

true, Keaggy is incredible

Unread 01-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #89
Contradiction is Balance

STREAM!!!

<FONT SIZE=2>"I love America. I think itís an extraordinary idea." - Bono
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 05:10 PM   #90
Um...Hola?Comment Vas-Tu?

Location: Hi, oh, I was supposed to tell you where I live --> NC yeah...
Out of this list, I voted Offpring (Noodles) for the best guitarist, out of pride for my fav. band. Others I like from the list: Mark Tremonti from Creed and Kurt Cobain from Nirvana. But, this list is not very solid in the way of Guitarist. Jimi Hendrix is the undisputable (in my opinion) king of the electric guitar. Also, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Jimmy Page(Led Zeppelin), Lead from ozzy, and some others.
I like Pleasurepain's list on the first page. I didn't read any other's so, I don't know if i'm being repetitive.
This Weeks Verse
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16,17
"Happiness is temporary, Joy is eternal"- My youth pastor
Don't worry about being special, everyone else already is. Besides, it's overated.- ME
...Such a goof
bleachedrhino is offline   Reply With Quote