Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #121
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I wish I could put a digital system in my guitar...

Oh yeah... I'm buying a pickup winder...

And to Bill or Rainer. or Steve... can you rename this to "The Foxglove Project"?

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #122
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
I wish I could put a digital system in my guitar...

Oh yeah... I'm buying a pickup winder...
digital? or piezo? or both? You could put a digital system in with your pickups with MIDI if you so choose. I prefer piezo personally.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #123
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
digital? or piezo? or both? You could put a digital system in with your pickups with MIDI if you so choose. I prefer piezo personally.
What would a Piezo system do?

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 04-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #124
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
What would a Piezo system do?
accoustic sounds out of your electric. Practical use in a hard band? Think the intro to If these scars could speak by zao. To play that song correctly, one would have to switch accoustic to electric quickly. In church I use it routinely. Petrucci also uses a Piezo system IIRC.

My Life.
Unread 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #125
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
accoustic sounds out of your electric. Practical use in a hard band? Think the intro to If these scars could speak by zao. To play that song correctly, one would have to switch accoustic to electric quickly. In church I use it routinely. Petrucci also uses a Piezo system IIRC.
Well... I just looked at the baggs system... would like to put in the X-Bridge... I can't find a price...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 04-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #126
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Well... I just looked at the baggs system... would like to put in the X-Bridge... I can't find a price...
I got my x bridge for about $100 a long time ago. I need to install it on the guitar I built. I will be running it to an altogether seperate output.

My Life.
Unread 04-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #127
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
I got my x bridge for about $100 a long time ago. I need to install it on the guitar I built. I will be running it to an altogether seperate output.
That's just about as cheap as a normal bridge...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 04-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #128
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I'm thinking about making the neck out of hardrock maple anyways... I'm looking to start selling customs in the future so it just makes sense to make my own necks rather than order them from Carvin every time... I will probably buy the fretboards, but the neck I'm gonna make myself...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 04-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #129
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I'm thinking about making the neck out of hardrock maple anyways... I'm looking to start selling customs in the future so it just makes sense to make my own necks rather than order them from Carvin every time... I will probably buy the fretboards, but the neck I'm gonna make myself...

Personally, I would start without the variable of neck building if you actually plan on playing this thing.

From what I hear, about your first 25 necks will really suck. Thats what the guy I know who sometimes makes necks for Carvin told me. If it were me, I would get a neck on this one, or get a bundle of scrap pine to shape and mount a truss rod in and make the neck, get proficient at the basics of it and then try maple.

My Life.
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #130
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Personally, I would start without the variable of neck building if you actually plan on playing this thing.

From what I hear, about your first 25 necks will really suck. Thats what the guy I know who sometimes makes necks for Carvin told me. If it were me, I would get a neck on this one, or get a bundle of scrap pine to shape and mount a truss rod in and make the neck, get proficient at the basics of it and then try maple.
Well, I plan on making my own necks... So, I think it would be a worthwhile investment to shape a few out of pine first.

I just ordered my neck from Carvin. What, I'm going to do, though, after this, is make a few bolt necks that fit my rogue for practice, and Justin (our band's bassist) will get my first mahogany neck.

BTW, the one I ordered from Carvin is the one with the blank headstock, I'm planning on making it look a lot like the headstock on my artcore.

I'm also thinking about a bigsby tail.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 04-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
I think we should clarify that Rosewood is not toxic in the sense of being poisonous but toxic in the sense of being highly allergenic. This might actually make it more dangerous. Individuals reactions might vary from no reaction at all to death from anaphylactic shock. If the OP has a sensitivity to Rosewood he probably should not work with it at all because even if he uses a respirator, he may still come into contact with enough of it to cause a dangerous allergic reaction. Of course the OP has no way of knowing if he will be allergic to the Rosewood. He may have even have worked with it before without a problem and still develope a sensitivity to it later. Any kind of swelling around the mouth, tongue or throat can be a sign of an anaphylactic reaction and warrants an immediate trip to the emergency room. It might not be a bad idea to have an epi pen handy in the woodshop. Anaphylactic reactions can get out of control fairly rapidly. I have a cousin who was taking allergy shots at home and may have died from anaphylactic shock had her husband not been proficient in CPR. Most of the time allergies can be just annoying but sometimes they can be deadly.
+1 Knowing the nature of the stuff you're working with is a big deal. Boat builders, for example, oftentimes expose themselves to epoxy resins. A person can react instantly or develop a sensitivity over time that results in a reaction that's triggered by even the slightest exposure.

Minimize your exposure. Use a good cartridge mask (not one of those flimsy paper ones) and where possible cover up as skin contact can also result in reaction.

Regards,

Robert

To have a great idea, have a lot of them. - Thomas A. Edison
ririzarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #132
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ririzarry View Post
+1 Knowing the nature of the stuff you're working with is a big deal. Boat builders, for example, oftentimes expose themselves to epoxy resins. A person can react instantly or develop a sensitivity over time that results in a reaction that's triggered by even the slightest exposure.

Minimize your exposure. Use a good cartridge mask (not one of those flimsy paper ones) and where possible cover up as skin contact can also result in reaction.

Regards,

Robert
I'm gonna be using an epoxy and epoxy by definition means there will be resin present. (I've used the stuff before though). I'm using it to fill the grain of my purpleheart. And I think this $200 dollar mask here is a bit less flimsy than one of those paper things you were talking about...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 05-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #133
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Update time:

Still no neck... I just called Carvin and it's still in production... I have no idea on when it will be shipped. The guy is supposed to call me back with an eta.

I have right now: 6 foot of Purpleheart wood, Epoxy for filling the grains, almost all the tools I will need (save a Suform Plane and I think I'm gonna have to get a new soldering gun because mine is broke), and I have a pickup winder.

Next time I get paid i'm going to order 44ga wire and 3 ceramic magnets and two humbucker bobbins and other various parts for my pickups... only thing is that I have a lot of bills stacking up and I don't know when my next paycheck comes in.

Still on my shopping list:
Tuners
Straplocks
Bigsby trem
Nitrocellulose Lacquer
switches
input jacks
wires
pickup parts
knobs

I think that's everything... I hope I'm not forgetting anything... but for now... that's all I can think of...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 05-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #134

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
you're going to want a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. From what I understand, soldering guns work on an electro-magnetic principle that can do a number on pickup magnets.

also irons are alot cheaper.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #135
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
you're going to want a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. From what I understand, soldering guns work on an electro-magnetic principle that can do a number on pickup magnets.

also irons are alot cheaper.
I have an iron right now... but it needs new tips...

Current Rig:

Public Blog