Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #106
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I'm a bit confused...are you talking about using both a Vox Deacy RI in addition to a treble booster and a gutted AC30TBX? From what I understood, the Deacy was just something he recorded through and his distortion was all pure amp + TB.I realize that the amp presby linked to is a modern BM RI. From looking at it, it looks like it removes all of the mod work that needs to be done. Brian May's modifications have been well documented from what I can tell, and it appears that the AC30BM is a pretty accurate clone of his stage amps. The only major difference I can see between the two is that the BM RI has a built-in treble booster...

also, I don't know if this was a typo, but I'm pretty sure May used a SSS config...three Tri-Sonic pickups. At least that's what everything I've read tells me.

I'm not looking to have this rig in the next year or even two or three (the way things look fincancially)... I just want to incorporate a sound that's closer to May in my band's music... I am gonna buy the Deacy clone and use it as an effect with my B52 (in fact, from what I can tell, that's what the Deacy clone was designed for...), and the Trebel Boost should get me really close to what I'm looking for... The TBX will come when I have a bit more money and just wanna have something to screw around with and play Queen covers in my bedroom...

And you're right about the Tri-Sonics... I don't know why but I was always under the impression that he wound his own and one was a bucker.... But, according to wikipedia, you're right...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #107

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
he TBX will come when I have a bit more money and just wanna have something to screw around with and play Queen covers in my bedroom...
considering that a bulk of May's tone probably relied on the fact that he dimed his AC30s, I hope you have a very large bedroom and alot of money invested in ear protection and other decibel killing devices.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #108
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
considering that a bulk of May's tone probably relied on the fact that he dimed his AC30s, I hope you have a very large bedroom and alot of money invested in ear protection and other decibel killing devices.
LOL... If I ever have the extra cash to track one of those down, pay a tech to mod it (because I'd be too afraid to mess it up), and then have enough time to perfectly dial in my tone... You can be sure I'll be very rich and senile by then...

And I think what I may do is get two Tri-Sonics for the Neck and Mid and then get a Bucker from Kent Armstrong that would blend well with the Tri-Sonics because I don't wanna be a total copy of May just wanna incorporate May-inspired tones... I just wonder how much of his tone came from phase inversion because I don't know how to wire that, but I can find out...

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 03-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #109

Quote:
And I think what I may do is get two Tri-Sonics for the Neck and Mid and then get a Bucker from Kent Armstrong that would blend well with the Tri-Sonics because I don't wanna be a total copy of May just wanna incorporate May-inspired tones... I just wonder how much of his tone came from phase inversion because I don't know how to wire that, but I can find out...
one of the sites I was looking at I believe had the wiring diagrams for the Red Special, or at least something similar...it was this site: http://www.brianmayworld.com/redspecial.htm
Wiring phase inversion shouldn't be hard. IIRC, all it involves is running multiple pickups with the wires crossed. I realize that's not the best explanation though. In my experience, a single coil pickup sounds the same regardless of its phase until it is combined with another pickup, making the two pickups out of phase. This should give you a starting idea of what goes on: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...sgl_coils.html

I'm a podcaster
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #110
Ax
Rabid Wombat

how useful do you think that'd be to me?

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #111

Quote:
how useful do you think that'd be to me?
I've never been a big fan of the reverse phased sound. On my Jagstang, it's a single coil out of phase with a humbucker, and it sounds okay at best...I wired my Strat with the mid positions out of phase once and hated it though.

however, your mileage may vary.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #112
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
I've never been a big fan of the reverse phased sound. On my Jagstang, it's a single coil out of phase with a humbucker, and it sounds okay at best...I wired my Strat with the mid positions out of phase once and hated it though.

however, your mileage may vary.
how will it help me in sounding May-esque while soloing?

More specifically, I wanna sound like he does in 'Killer Queen'... or the first solo in Rhapsody...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 03-24-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #113

Quote:
how will it help me in sounding May-esque while soloing?

More specifically, I wanna sound like he does in 'Killer Queen'... or the first solo in Rhapsody...
i really lhave no clue. with a three-way switch on each pickup, it's not that hard to do a phasing switch though, so it might be something to just try out and see if it's worth it.

According to the Digitech sounds listing for the BM Red Special Pedal, the 1st solo on "Bohemian Rhapsody" was achieved with the neck and middle pickups out of phase.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 03-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #114
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
i really lhave no clue. with a three-way switch on each pickup, it's not that hard to do a phasing switch though, so it might be something to just try out and see if it's worth it.

According to the Digitech sounds listing for the BM Red Special Pedal, the 1st solo on "Bohemian Rhapsody" was achieved with the neck and middle pickups out of phase.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanna hear... Okay... so a threeway on each pup... and since he got it with neck and mid then I'm gonna put a humbucker on my bridge for my high gain stuff...

now, when you say out of phase, I only turn one out and leave the other in right?

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #115
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanna hear... Okay... so a threeway on each pup... and since he got it with neck and mid then I'm gonna put a humbucker on my bridge for my high gain stuff...

now, when you say out of phase, I only turn one out and leave the other in right?
think of it as a reversal of phase. If 1 is out of phase with the other, they are out. However, if you reverse both, they will be back in phase.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #116
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
think of it as a reversal of phase. If 1 is out of phase with the other, they are out. However, if you reverse both, they will be back in phase.
Right, that's what I thought, I just was not sure...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #117
Godin/Seagull Man

You might want to check out this webpage about combining pickups. Some good info there I think.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #118
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I'm gonna wire mine in series... I've stated that before... and have phase switches... and on/offs... I know it will work... it's been done before...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #119
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
I'm gonna wire mine in series... I've stated that before... and have phase switches... and on/offs... I know it will work... it's been done before...
You could also wire it up to switch between series and parallel.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #120
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
You could also wire it up to switch between series and parallel.
Too much... I only want 3 switches... I have my 3 switches... no more...

Current Rig:

Public Blog