Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatdirt View Post
Definitely. However, I hijacked this thread. We should get back on subject.
Of course, and by no means should anyone go to this thread.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #92
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
Of course, and by no means should anyone go to this thread.
No more CPF...

Well... I'm getting wood for my B-Day and my girlfriend is buying me tools... Also I'm getting good hours at Wal-Mart so I'll have the neck in a matter of weeks...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
No more CPF...

Quote:
Well... I'm getting wood for my B-Day and my girlfriend is buying me tools... Also I'm getting good hours at Wal-Mart so I'll have the neck in a matter of weeks...
Excellent. I look forward to seeing it.

Incidentally, make sure your g/f has your screen-name and password so she can post posthumously on your behalf, if the need should arise.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #94
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:

Excellent. I look forward to seeing it.

Incidentally, make sure your g/f has your screen-name and password so she can post posthumously on your behalf, if the need should arise.

Did you not pick up that I decided against Rosewood...

Well, I'm in Marietta right now and there's a lumber yard across town that has purpleheart in stock so I'm gonna run over there and pick it up after I get out of class...

-EDIT-

I have the wood... it's absolutely gorgeous... I took some pics but because of the lighting and the camera you really can't see the color so it's pointless to post them... But I bought a 6 foot plank, it's 2 inches thick (I'm gonna shave the .3 inches down to match the neck after I glue it...), and it's 8 inches wide... I bought extra in case of an accident though I don't see that being a big problem... I have not decided on a body style yet... It wont be a replica of any body though, it might look something like a different guitar but believe me when I say that it will be different enough to call it my own.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 03-20-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #95

Quote:
Did you not pick up that I decided against Rosewood...
Number one, that was a joke. Number two, no, because I've been busy with my new job and have been trying to keep up with a lot of threads. Also, many people choose to mix purpleheart with a lot of other exotics as well, ergo, I wasn't clear on whether or not Rosewood was out of the running.

Besides, Rosewood isn't the only toxic exotic.

Unread 03-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #96
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Number one, that was a joke. Number two, no, because I've been busy with my new job and have been trying to keep up with a lot of threads. Also, many people choose to mix purpleheart with a lot of other exotics as well, ergo, I wasn't clear on whether or not Rosewood was out of the running.

Besides, Rosewood isn't the only toxic exotic.
Purpleheart and the Carvin neck... The Carvin neck is maple with ebony... It's still the Thru-Body neck... I have decided to use chrome hardware because Gold tarnishes... I have a local supply of Pots, tuners, and most hardware... Gonna have to order the tail-piece and I'm not sure what i'm going with yet... I thought about a thru-body stringing with a tune-o-matic, but my Artcore has a tune-o-matic... I don't know... I don't want a floyd or anything like a strat trem... I'm thinking I may use a Tele tailpiece...

I've also decided to go with HSH pickup config... I'm gonna get a threeway switch and use it for the mid and bridge positions and an on/off for the neck... I do this because I hardly ever use the neck position and am only gonna use it for the all on combo.... also gonna have an on/off for the whole guitar because there are a lot of songs where I play part of it and not the whole thing so I'll have the guitar hanging at my side while I sing... And I don't want feedback while it hangs there...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #97

Quote:
Purpleheart and the Carvin neck... The Carvin neck is maple with ebony... It's still the Thru-Body neck... I have decided to use chrome hardware because Gold tarnishes... I have a local supply of Pots, tuners, and most hardware... Gonna have to order the tail-piece and I'm not sure what i'm going with yet... I thought about a thru-body stringing with a tune-o-matic, but my Artcore has a tune-o-matic... I don't know... I don't want a floyd or anything like a strat trem... I'm thinking I may use a Tele tailpiece...
I'd personally go with a maple fingerboard, but that's just me. As for the bridge, I'd go with the string-thru body.
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #98
Tired of being attacked

dumb question, but your feedback comment is making me ask. Are you planning on chambering the body?

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #99
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
dumb question, but your feedback comment is making me ask. Are you planning on chambering the body?
No, I have a hollow now... I don't want another... but still sometime if the guitar sits and and is jolted it starts resonating and can eventually cause feedback... I don't wanna do this... Feedback Bad... feedback very bad... at least when It's not wanted....

and Ryan, I don't like Maple fretboards personally, but I can see how it looks great on your guitar... With the purple... I'm thinking that the ebony that the carvin comes with is perfect for me...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #100
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
No, I have a hollow now... I don't want another... but still sometime if the guitar sits and and is jolted it starts resonating and can eventually cause feedback... I don't wanna do this... Feedback Bad... feedback very bad... at least when It's not wanted....

and Ryan, I don't like Maple fretboards personally, but I can see how it looks great on your guitar... With the purple... I'm thinking that the ebony that the carvin comes with is perfect for me...
Yeah, I am going chambered for my warmoth. (Not really hollow) My tele with the new pickups feeds back pretty bad if you leave it be.

Though I generally play pretty high gain stuff even in church, so feedback is an interesting issue.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #101

Quote:

That's cool. It's all subjective. What kind of inlays? I can't wait to see it. Take pictars while you're building it.
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #102
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Though I generally play pretty high gain stuff
I hear dat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Freeland View Post
That's cool. It's all subjective. What kind of inlays? I can't wait to see it. Take pictars while you're building it.
I'm gonna go with the standard inlays that come on the neck... but as for on the guitar itself, I'm going with sort of a Celtic weave up the seams of the wings...

-Edit-

So it is seriously time to start talking about pickups...

I want something that is gonna help me get Brian May inspired tones... When it all comes down, he's my favorite guitarist of all time.. my project after this guitar is gonna be a trebel boost pedal that is a clone of the one he used through A Day at the Races. I plan on getting a Brian May amp (the Deacy clone) to use as distortion... and eventually a 70's era AC30TBX and do a Brian May mod...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 03-21-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #103
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
So it is seriously time to start talking about pickups...

I want something that is gonna help me get Brian May inspired tones... When it all comes down, he's my favorite guitarist of all time.. my project after this guitar is gonna be a trebel boost pedal that is a clone of the one he used through A Day at the Races. I plan on getting a Brian May amp (the Deacy clone) to use as distortion... and eventually a 70's era AC30TBX and do a Brian May mod...
So I guess you are going to want some of these. I don't know anything about the tri-sonic pickups. I wonder if some other RW/RP overwound singles would get close to the sound with the proper wiring.

I don't suppose you could afford one of these for an amp? Only 500 made. Handwired. Wow.

Then you would also have to learn to play like Brian May and that would be the hardest task of all.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #104
Ax
Rabid Wombat

That amp is not what May uses and is very little like the one he uses... he uses a 70's model AC30TBX and he rips all but the normal channel out...

And I know May used a HSS config... so...

I wonder how much of his tone comes from his phase switches and his series wiring... I may do this if possible...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #105

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
I'm a bit confused...are you talking about using both a Vox Deacy RI in addition to a treble booster and a gutted AC30TBX? From what I understood, the Deacy was just something he recorded through and his distortion was all pure amp + TB.
Quote:
That amp is not what May uses and is very little like the one he uses... he uses a 70's model AC30TBX and he rips all but the normal channel out...

And I know May used a HSS config... so...

I wonder how much of his tone comes from his phase switches and his series wiring... I may do this if possible...
I realize that the amp presby linked to is a modern BM RI. From looking at it, it looks like it removes all of the mod work that needs to be done. Brian May's modifications have been well documented from what I can tell, and it appears that the AC30BM is a pretty accurate clone of his stage amps. The only major difference I can see between the two is that the BM RI has a built-in treble booster...

also, I don't know if this was a typo, but I'm pretty sure May used a SSS config...three Tri-Sonic pickups. At least that's what everything I've read tells me.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote