Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #61
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
purpleheart and unstained maple have a nice contrast going on IMO. granted, it does look a little bassish. I was thinking that either some form of opalescent inlay or a dark wood might add just a little touch of needed contrast, though without it, I am sure your guitar could really be an eye catcher.
I was thinking of maybe some pearl or something right on the seams of the neck and the wings... and then a contrasting seam to go around the edges of the guitar... maybe Paua Abalone for the seems and then just a plain white pearl around the edges of the guitar... I think it would look really classy... I don't know... it might look tacky... I can't decide... ever seen this done?

*Edit*

Just found this: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/9782

I like it... I think a slightly darker finish would bring out the purlpleheart and this could be one classy looking guitar...

I may do like the guitar in that link and not put binding on the outside of the guitar because the neck doesn't have any kind of binding...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #62
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
I was thinking of maybe some pearl or something right on the seams of the neck and the wings... and then a contrasting seam to go around the edges of the guitar... maybe Paua Abalone for the seems and then just a plain white pearl around the edges of the guitar... I think it would look really classy... I don't know... it might look tacky... I can't decide... ever seen this done?

*Edit*

Just found this: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/9782

I like it... I think a slightly darker finish would bring out the purlpleheart and this could be one classy looking guitar...

I may do like the guitar in that link and not put binding on the outside of the guitar because the neck doesn't have any kind of binding...
personally I think two abalone stripes would look killer, but that is a matter of taste. I think with the purpleheart, leaving the body unbound might look better. At least, thats my opinion, but we are out of the realm of objectivity.
here is what purpleheart and unstained maple look like

I think it looks like it needs something more than the black stripes personally to bring out the color.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #63
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Bill... I now have a mancrush on you... And yes, I do believe that the Abalone would look great... and after seeing that I think I might just use a clear finish for the maple... I wasn't going to, but I may use gold hardware after seeing that...

-Edit-

Well, with the wood decisions made, I think we should move onto pickups...

I'm thinking P90s, but I really don't know much about them... I'm thinking of them because I have a guitar with Humbuckers and I hate single-coils... Is it traditionally okay to mix and match with P90's? Or should I just get two of them? How do they sound distorted, will they sound good for a hardcore/screamo/grunge influenced band?

-Edit again-

Never mind on the P90s, I just looked them up on wikipedia... I need something that distorts better... I wonder If i could use one for my neck position though... wouldn't that be cool... Hum-Single-Soap...

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 03-13-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Never mind on the P90s, I just looked them up on wikipedia... I need something that distorts better... I wonder If i could use one for my neck position though... wouldn't that be cool... Hum-Single-Soap...
what part of the Wiki article led you to believe that it doesn't distort well?

Honestly, I found the P90 equipped Tele Custom II I owned to be a very versatile axe in terms of distortion. With the tone knob at 100% on the bridge I had a very trebly (in fact too bright for my uses) distortion, but with the tone rolled back to about 70% it really cut the highs and resulted in a very thick, full distortion sound.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #65
Ax
Rabid Wombat

It led me to believe that it was going to be way too bright...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 03-13-2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling (Too)
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #66

Quote:
It led me to believe that it was going to be way to bright...
Indeed. they can be very snappy. I just wouldn't say they don't distort well...maybe just not in the way you want. When you look at the list of guitarists they have that used them, there's definitely a wide variety of distorted tones represented. Also remember that the way the wood resonates is going to change the pickup characteristic as well too. The P90s I had were mounted in an agathis body...they had great tone for being in what is generally considered a bland tonewood.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #67
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Then would you say that my Hum-Single-P90 idea would work well?

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Then would you say that my Hum-Single-P90 idea would work well?
the main thing I see wrong with it is that unless you balance the single and the P90 in terms of output, it won't be possible to have a hum-canceling position between the two of them. Of course, this might be a non-issue.

It does sound like a cool idea...it's sorta reminding me of a cross between a Gibson BFG and a Strat or something.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 03-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #69
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
the main thing I see wrong with it is that unless you balance the single and the P90 in terms of output, it won't be possible to have a hum-canceling position between the two of them. Of course, this might be a non-issue.

It does sound like a cool idea...it's sorta reminding me of a cross between a Gibson BFG and a Strat or something.
Um, I know this is expensive, but I think lindy fralin will match the impedance if you custom order them. I want P 90's for their distinct distortion characteristics. Personally, I like the characteristics of it. I hear P 90's and they seem to have a mean snarl all their own.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #70
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Um, I know this is expensive, but I think lindy fralin will match the impedance if you custom order them. I want P 90's for their distinct distortion characteristics. Personally, I like the characteristics of it. I hear P 90's and they seem to have a mean snarl all their own.
I don't think you would need to get that expensive of a single coil to match the output. How high an output of a P90 are we talking about? I'm getting a GFS premium overwound for the middle position of my HSH configured Godin. It is rated at 9.4k. It's the same as the pickups I had in my Squier and I loved them.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #71
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Maybe I should just go with HSH... still doing my on/offs...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #72

I *think* Carvin will do any wood you want for a neck or body, but it will obviously cost more. I know they have made walnut necks for guitars, so I'm 99% sure they'd do it for a neck. Walnut body and neck on a DC127.
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #73
Ax
Rabid Wombat

The option isn't available unless of course I call them and say "hey can I special order a neck..."

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #74

Quote:
The option isn't available unless of course I call them and say "hey can I special order a neck..."
Well, obviously. You can also ask for any inlays, paintjob, or headstock overlay.
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #75
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Freeland View Post
Well, obviously. You can also ask for any inlays, paintjob, or headstock overlay.
I don't wanna pay any extra... plus, I think the maple will look better...

-Edit-
Back to electronics!

I may go with an HSS or an HSH I haven't quite decided yet... I have an HH (Artcore) and an HSS (a crappy one that I'm gonna fix up when I get the urge to...)... I may go for HSH...

Anyways, I'm still going with my on/off switches on each pickup, and I may still have a on off for the whole guitar....

Current Rig:

Public Blog