Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #46
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
I look at the Warmoth page a lot... That's where I first got the idea to use rosewood (I knew it was used for fingerboards but not entire neck assemblies...) but I saw the Indian Rosewood, and according to warmoth, it doesn't require a finish so it can't be that toxic... See, I want something warm and sustaining.... Honestly... I'm not out to find something exotic... I'm looking at wood quality... I actually have thought about it, and I might get maple because it's not near as heavy as some of the other woods I've been looking at and the mahogany body will be heavy enough.... which would mean that I could buy a neck... but I'm not spending 200 bucks on one...
In dust form, rosewood is very toxic, thats the thing. In solid form its fine, but the dust can kill you, dead. Some of the warmoth closeouts run ~125 btw. Thats about as cheap as I see for a neck anywhere, and believe me, I have been looking for several months as I get a neck for my birthday from my wife...

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #47
Ax
Rabid Wombat

yes, but as far as I can tell warmoth doesn't sell neck-thrus

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Carvin does! ()
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #49
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
They do not. Stewmac and Carvin and a couple smaller, more expensive places are it that I have found after months of looking.

I am basically arguing that you need to check the toxicity of the woods so you do not end up dead or injured. make a neck if you so choose, just be careful you know what the exotic woods can and will do to you. I wished somebody had warned me before I had a horrible several days I couldn't eat, breathe or sleep hardly at all without tremendous pain.

Just check your woods. Thats what I am saying. FYI, I think a mahogany neck with a mahogany body looks outstanding. (Its what my schechter has) Or maybe you could make the neck of mahogany and use a wood with similar tonal qualities for the wings...

My Life.
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #50
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
In dust form, rosewood is very toxic, thats the thing. In solid form its fine, but the dust can kill you, dead. Some of the warmoth closeouts run ~125 btw. Thats about as cheap as I see for a neck anywhere, and believe me, I have been looking for several months as I get a neck for my birthday from my wife...
I think we should clarify that Rosewood is not toxic in the sense of being poisonous but toxic in the sense of being highly allergenic. This might actually make it more dangerous. Individuals reactions might vary from no reaction at all to death from anaphylactic shock. If the OP has a sensitivity to Rosewood he probably should not work with it at all because even if he uses a respirator, he may still come into contact with enough of it to cause a dangerous allergic reaction. Of course the OP has no way of knowing if he will be allergic to the Rosewood. He may have even have worked with it before without a problem and still develope a sensitivity to it later. Any kind of swelling around the mouth, tongue or throat can be a sign of an anaphylactic reaction and warrants an immediate trip to the emergency room. It might not be a bad idea to have an epi pen handy in the woodshop. Anaphylactic reactions can get out of control fairly rapidly. I have a cousin who was taking allergy shots at home and may have died from anaphylactic shock had her husband not been proficient in CPR. Most of the time allergies can be just annoying but sometimes they can be deadly.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #51
Now with Banstickô

Send a message via AIM to Gustin Send a message via MSN to Gustin
Another danger with woods is that some woods can actually inflame allergies. For instance, if you never had an allergy (or at least only very mild reactions) to a certain type of food, working with some woods can inflame these allergies and suddenly make your reactions to them significantly worse.
Gustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #52
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Freeland View Post
Carvin does! ()
yes, and that'd be nice, if the pricetag weren't 200 bucks... I'm not spending that much money on an experiment... What I will probably do at this point is make a maple neck (because maple is really light) and buy a pre-slotted finger board... I want two different woods just for the contrast, but if I do end up with making the whole thing out of mahogany, I might try diffrent color finishes and tape up the parts I don't want finished when doing the wings...

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 03-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #53

Quote:
yes, and that'd be nice, if the pricetag weren't 200 bucks... I'm not spending that much money on an experiment... What I will probably do at this point is make a maple neck (because maple is really light) and buy a pre-slotted finger board... I want two different woods just for the contrast, but if I do end up with making the whole thing out of mahogany, I might try diffrent color finishes and tape up the parts I don't want finished when doing the wings...
Sounds cool. I'm a fan of maple necks and fretboards as well. Any idea on finishes?
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #54
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Freeland View Post
Sounds cool. I'm a fan of maple necks and fretboards as well. Any idea on finishes?
If the mahogany had more streaking in it I would have done a transparent green... I want something that looks classy... I don't think that I or Mike have the skill to do a sunburst so that's out... I might go with a satin finish... I have a Red and a Blue guitar so I think Green is what I want next...

-Edit-

I might make a Walnut neck and use an ebony fretboard...

Actually, if Carvin offered Walnut, I'd go for it... and I'd like to do my own inlays...

*Edit*

Well... my supply of free mahogany turned out to be the wrong species... I'm thinking purpleheart wings because Purpleheart is cheap as crap on ebay... I don't know that kind of finish i'd use on it though... i mean, it literally is purple...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by thesteve; 03-12-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #55
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
I'm thinking purpleheart wings because Purpleheart is cheap as crap on ebay... I don't know that kind of finish i'd use on it though... i mean, it literally is purple...
Clear Laquer? I say let the natural color of the wood come through.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #56
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Clear Laquer? I say let the natural color of the wood come through.
tung oil as well might be good. Now with purpleheart, after you sand it, if you leave it in sunlight, it will turn a darker purple for a bit. (It oxidizes purple) Some finishes halt the process, some don't.

It can even be a disappointing gray after you cut it, but don't worry, it gets over that.

My Life.
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #57
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Well, it turns out that I had a router all along and didn't know it... It's actually a rotary tool that spins between 15,000 and 30,000 RPM but will accept a router bit...

Also, I'm probably gonna buy the neck from Carvin... I've debated over this in my mind, but I've learned that if you don't get the Truss absolutely perfectly set (not talking about adjusting, but rather routing and length and other factors) then your neck will suck. Plus, maple is beautiful... I may let the purpleheart cure and use it's natural color, put a dark finish on the maple body, and use binding tape at the seems....

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #58
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Well, it turns out that I had a router all along and didn't know it... It's actually a rotary tool that spins between 15,000 and 30,000 RPM but will accept a router bit...

Also, I'm probably gonna buy the neck from Carvin... I've debated over this in my mind, but I've learned that if you don't get the Truss absolutely perfectly set (not talking about adjusting, but rather routing and length and other factors) then your neck will suck. Plus, maple is beautiful... I may let the purpleheart cure and use it's natural color, put a dark finish on the maple body, and use binding tape at the seems....
that would be awesome. One thing I considered when I was planning on a neck through, would be getting some of the Pau ferra binding from stewmac and rouing a very narrow channel for it on the sides of the neck through neck. (Not putting any where pickup cavities would be)

I only mention this because I thought it might be a cool touch, and add a splash of color and class.

My Life.
Unread 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #59
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
that would be awesome. One thing I considered when I was planning on a neck through, would be getting some of the Pau ferra binding from stewmac and rouing a very narrow channel for it on the sides of the neck through neck. (Not putting any where pickup cavities would be)

I only mention this because I thought it might be a cool touch, and add a splash of color and class.
Yeah, that was my thought... it would make the contrast really stick out... I want a finish for the purpleheart that would accent the natural purple and make it bolder and more prominent.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #60
Tired of being attacked

purpleheart and unstained maple have a nice contrast going on IMO. granted, it does look a little bassish. I was thinking that either some form of opalescent inlay or a dark wood might add just a little touch of needed contrast, though without it, I am sure your guitar could really be an eye catcher.

My Life.