Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #31
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
besides, it's a lot cheaper than buying a neck...
I don't think you're going to be able to build a neck the same quality as a Warmoth for less money. With a belt sander? The tooling alone to make a quality neck would cost you more than just buying one. I highly suggest looking on Ebay for used necks; that would be the best way to save money. Have you read through this thread?

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #32
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I know that Carvin does... Warmoth, as far as i can figure out, only offers bolt on necks... I've looked through their site a good bit... besides, it's a lot cheaper than buying a neck... If Stewmac has one for a good price (I honestly haven't looked) I might buy one, but 200 is too much, plus there is the advantage of not having to calculate the neck angle...

*Edit*

Oh yeah, I did look at stewmac I don't want a maple neck, the wood is just too brightly toned... and I will probably wear gloves and a mask anyways... (I always wear gloves when I'm working with power tools and my allergies would kill me if I breathed that much sawdust... i'm not too worried about it...)
You should be a bit more worried than you are about rosewood....

It can kill you literally. I would look seriously at what form of mask you have before working on it. Skin contact with the dust of it can even be pretty nasty, and leave you with some nasty pain. Its one of those woods you definitely need to look into safety with.

When my brother was iin Junior college, one of the guys in the wood shop died from rosewood toxicity. The man was a pro at working with wood. I mention that because the stuff is pretty notorious and potentially lethal. Mahogany would be a safer choice for the neck.

I generated a tiny amount of rosewood dust once. I was wearing a mask, but... It was enough to give me a horrible rash and make my tongue swell to where I couldn't close my mouth, and that was just from accidentally sanding the side of a rosewood fretboard.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #33
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Wow. I'm glad the fretboard I scalloped wasn't rosewood.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #34
Older than dirt...

There are a number of swamp woods high on the tox list. I use Wenge, Cocabolo and Rosewood in my shop. When I am working those woods the kids are not allowed in. I use a dust collector, and wear a mask, coveralls & latex gloves.

Some woods rate high as skin irritants, and others as breathing irritants. I once had a great link to a page full of that stuff from some on line woodworking e'zine. Be very careful, please.

As to the notion of building your own neck- there is some wise advice given here. Just buy one from a master.

Where I work
RainCaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #35
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I was thinking a full on gas mask, my brother has one because he's an insulator... also... I have access to more tools that you'd think...

My family is full of what you people would call Rednecks... Jeff Foxworthy and I would probably just call most of them "Good ol' boys"... (blue collars)... My uncle has been making shelves, cabinets, tables, and other furniture for years... I have access to Planes, Drill Presses, Band Saws, Skill Saws, Table Saws, Lathes, Belt sanders, RO sanders... and a car grade airbrush... (my aunt's second husband has a small car painting business and says that all I have to do is find an appropriate finish...)

I might buy a neck off ebay... but 200 bucks would take all the fun out of this project... and I don't want to use the same type of wood for the neck as the body...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 02:16 AM   #36

Quote:
To Chesh, everywhere I know says to use a belt sander to shape the neck... I'm going to do this...
Eh, yeah, and where and what exactly is "everywhere"? Got a link or addy for "everywhere"?

That advice offered "everywhere" isn't on any of the many guitar forums I've seen, and I've been to many, many of which were modded by working luthiers, and I've never seen a luthier take a rectangular piece of maple or rosewood with a fretboard attached to it and beltsand it into shape. I'm sure many rank amateurs would do that, but not a pro . . . with the exception of some eccentric hobbiest turned pro.

Also, a "lathe"!?!

Can it be done that way? Sure. Can you walk everywhere you go instead of drive or even ride a bike? Sure. Can you individually count out several thousand crystals of salt into a stew recipe instead of using a teaspoon? Sure.

Most professional luthiers I know (and I know many) will at least spring $10 for a curfoil from Lowe's, if not actually using drawknives (the oldschoolers) or rasps. That would cut your backshaping time down by at least 80%. I don't know what your time is worth, but I don't feel like spending 8 hours in front of a beltsander when half an hour with a curfoil would suffice.

Incidentally, I don't know if I detected a somewhat perhaps petulant tone to your post, but I experience a slightly cocky tone to your post. Before you decide to be so dismissive of my suggestions, consider, I've built guitars . . . have you?

Also, to echo what BSPE said, and coupled to what you suggested, I don't really think you want to spend an afternoon beltsanding a solid plank of rosewood into half it's size in a poorly ventilated area.

If you decide to go that route, it's been nice knowing ya.

(Incidentally, the gas mask is a nice idea, but at some point you have to take it off. Plan on being hosed down by a family member after each sanding session?)

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 03-11-2007 at 02:28 AM.
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #37
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
Eh, yeah, and where and what exactly is "everywhere"? Got a link or addy for "everywhere"?
Mostly the Project Guitar forums.

Quote:
That advice offered "everywhere" isn't on any of the many guitar forums I've seen, and I've been to many, many of which were modded by working luthiers, and I've never seen a luthier take a rectangular piece of maple or rosewood with a fretboard attached to it and beltsand it into shape. I'm sure many rank amateurs would do that, but not a pro . . . with the exception of some eccentric hobbiest turned pro.
... Umm... I do have the sense to cut it into some sort of shape before I sand it and then attach the fretboard later...

Quote:
Also, a "lathe"!?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe_(tool)

Quote:
Most professional luthiers I know (and I know many) will at least spring $10 for a curfoil from Lowe's, if not actually using drawknives (the oldschoolers) or rasps. That would cut your backshaping time down by at least 80%. I don't know what your time is worth, but I don't feel like spending 8 hours in front of a beltsander when half an hour with a curfoil would suffice.
Curfoil? If these exist then I probably have access to one... but according to google, they don't... Sure you got the spelling right?

Quote:
Incidentally, I don't know if I detected a somewhat perhaps petulant tone to your post, but I experience a slightly cocky tone to your post. Before you decide to be so dismissive of my suggestions, consider, I've built guitars . . . have you?
You know, I wasn't being cocky, I was just telling you what I wanted to do, but since I get that same feeling from you (and after reading that little tidbit I'm sure that's the way you intended it to sound) then you might have picked up a bit of cockiness in this paragraph.

Quote:
Also, to echo what BSPE said, and coupled to what you suggested, I don't really think you want to spend an afternoon beltsanding a solid plank of rosewood into half it's size in a poorly ventilated area.
Think room with big fans sucking air out of one side and blowing it in on the other... It's temperature/moisture/etc. controlled...

Quote:
If you decide to go that route, it's been nice knowing ya.

(Incidentally, the gas mask is a nice idea, but at some point you have to take it off. Plan on being hosed down by a family member after each sanding session?)
Give me a little more credit than that.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Last edited by thesteve; 03-11-2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: broken link
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #38
Tired of being attacked

the other thing is think contact allergies with rosewood dust as well. I had a severe rash that blistered up on my arms. I am just warning because that stuff is nasty to work with, and that rash hurt like you wouldn't believe. Thats why I have made a personal policy of no rosewood that I work with. Ever.

My Life.
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #39
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I could go with maple... but a rosewood fretboard will happen... Plus maple is readily available... I could literally walk into my back yard and cut a maple tree...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #40
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I could go with maple... but a rosewood fretboard will happen... Plus maple is readily available... I could literally walk into my back yard and cut a maple tree...
What about some of the non toxic exotics for a fretboard. Purpleheart maybe?

My Life.
Unread 03-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #41
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
How to they sound and look? I mean... gotta go with a tonewood...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #42
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
How to they sound and look? I mean... gotta go with a tonewood...
Here, I have an idea, I know you do not want to buy a warmoth neck, but... their site has descriptions of numerous woods.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...itar_neckwoods

That link should take you to a brief description of a bunch of different woods you can use for a neck. Personally, limba or Korina sounds tasty to me.

My Life.
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #43
Now with Banstickô

Send a message via AIM to Gustin Send a message via MSN to Gustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Purpleheart isn't "non toxic", but it has less potential to harm you than a more toxic wood like rosewood. I have heard of several people having problems with it (almost as bad as some of the above mentioned rosewood reactions). It's just not as common. No matter what wood you work with, you should still wear at least a mask and eye protection (and if you're using power tools make sure you wear earplugs! Nothing worse than not being able to actually hear that instrument you spent so much time on).
Gustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #44
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crstngtrplyr77 View Post
Purpleheart isn't "non toxic", but it has less potential to harm you than a more toxic wood like rosewood. I have heard of several people having problems with it (almost as bad as some of the above mentioned rosewood reactions). It's just not as common. No matter what wood you work with, you should still wear at least a mask and eye protection (and if you're using power tools make sure you wear earplugs! Nothing worse than not being able to actually hear that instrument you spent so much time on).
yeah, I hear it has the same toxicity as mahogany. (I did look up tox sheets as I own quite a bit of it.) There is considered to be a mild toxicity for even ash and alder. However, rosewood is just wicked nasty, I just remember not being able to close my mouth because my tongue swelled so big. That is a supremely creepy feeling, and having known of deaths from it, it creeps me out all the more.

I don't think of something that's dust may cause mild lung irritation as being toxic but I suppose it does have a toxicity. I always wear masks though for woodwork. Lets say my reactions to plant toxins are rather anomolous. I have a wide range of sensitivities and immunities.

My Life.
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #45
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I look at the Warmoth page a lot... That's where I first got the idea to use rosewood (I knew it was used for fingerboards but not entire neck assemblies...) but I saw the Indian Rosewood, and according to warmoth, it doesn't require a finish so it can't be that toxic... See, I want something warm and sustaining.... Honestly... I'm not out to find something exotic... I'm looking at wood quality... I actually have thought about it, and I might get maple because it's not near as heavy as some of the other woods I've been looking at and the mahogany body will be heavy enough.... which would mean that I could buy a neck... but I'm not spending 200 bucks on one...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 03-11-2007 at 09:01 PM.