Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
Like I said, I'm going with what warmoth offers because I'm not super-skilled. I wouldn't know how to put the Earvana in and I would like to see your HSH schematics, but I am still probably gonna go with my on/off idea...
Well, fortunately, Warmoth offers a prep, and one that's well worth it.

I'm working on the lastest version of the UUSS. Here it is so far.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 03-20-2007 at 04:20 PM.
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #17
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Thanks anyways... but I thought I had the job and didn't... so it's gonna be a while... I'm still probably gonna do a build once I get a job, but I think I have a lead on some mahogany that I can get for free (a large amount too, thick and long) so I'll probably shape it out of that...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Anybody know how much wood I'm gonna need for this build? How thick should I buy my wood? 4 inches? Is that too thick or not thick enough? I have no idea...

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 03-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Anybody know how much wood I'm gonna need for this build? How thick should I buy my wood? 4 inches? Is that too thick or not thick enough? I have no idea...
4" for what?

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 03-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #20
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
4" for what?
Thickness of the body...

Okay so... I'm gonna build my guitar mostly from scratch (yeah I'm gonna buy tuners and electronics, but the neck and the body are all me...). The problem is that I have no idea where to start... I wanna do a Neck-Thru design with a mahogany body for a rich, warm, sustaining tone... I actually don't know what kind of trem I'm gonna use... The pickups are gonna be in a HSS design and I think I'm gonna use a telecaster bridge pickup for the middle part... I'm still going with the on/offs and there wont be coil splitters, I've decided that I just don't need them... I also don't know where to find designs and templates for the neck (as in fret placement etc.)...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-07-2007, 02:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Thickness of the body . . .
Ah. Well, let me put it to you this way . . . unless you were doing some sort of fancy jazzbox, even 2" is way thick. 1.5" to 1.75" will be fine.

Unread 03-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #22
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Ah. Well, let me put it to you this way . . . unless you were doing some sort of fancy jazzbox, even 2" is way thick. 1.5" to 1.75" will be fine.
Okay cool... SO all I really need is some mahogany boards... the only thing is, I don't know how to shape the neck other than a lot of sanding.. I will probably need something thicker for the neck though...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Okay cool... SO all I really need is some mahogany boards... the only thing is, I don't know how to shape the neck other than a lot of sanding.. I will probably need something thicker for the neck though...
Okay, if you've never built a neck before, or are unsure of how to shape it (and, believe me, you do NOT want to sand it into shape), then I would strongly suggest you order the neck from Warmoth.

Unread 03-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #24
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Okay, if you've never built a neck before, or are unsure of how to shape it (and, believe me, you do NOT want to sand it into shape), then I would strongly suggest you order the neck from Warmoth.
I'm making a neck through... I thought about a lathe but it'd be too hard... I think it'd be easy with the right tool...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #25
Tired of being attacked

carvin makes a neck through neck...

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #26
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
carvin makes a neck through neck...
I think Carvin is becoming the "42" of the guitar forum.
Unread 03-09-2007, 02:23 AM   #27
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cabong View Post
I think Carvin is becoming the "42" of the guitar forum.
actually, I am going with warmoth... Do you know any other place that sells a neck through?

My Life.
Unread 03-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #28
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Warmoth doesn't sell a Through-Neck... Besides, I wanna make mine... It's half the fun...plus my cousin's best friend works at a lumber yard, so wood comes at cost or (if he can pull it off) some scrap pieces (which would work because I don't need the full planks) would be free... He says they have a lot of mahogany and rosewood... (I'm thinking rosewood neck with Mahogany wings...) but I will buy the fingerboard, I don't wanna have to calculate the radius on that...

-edit-

To Chesh, everywhere I know says to use a belt sander to shape the neck... I'm going to do this...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 03-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #29
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Warmoth doesn't sell a Through-Neck... Besides, I wanna make mine... It's half the fun...plus my cousin's best friend works at a lumber yard, so wood comes at cost or (if he can pull it off) some scrap pieces (which would work because I don't need the full planks) would be free... He says they have a lot of mahogany and rosewood... (I'm thinking rosewood neck with Mahogany wings...) but I will buy the fingerboard, I don't wanna have to calculate the radius on that...

-edit-

To Chesh, everywhere I know says to use a belt sander to shape the neck... I'm going to do this...
ummm, yes they do, I looked into making one, but strewmac has one too, it is just more expensive with no real advantage. http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...=NT6&CID=GTR/K

May I suggest that you not play with rosewood? It is quite toxic.

My Life.
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #30
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I know that Carvin does... Warmoth, as far as i can figure out, only offers bolt on necks... I've looked through their site a good bit... besides, it's a lot cheaper than buying a neck... If Stewmac has one for a good price (I honestly haven't looked) I might buy one, but 200 is too much, plus there is the advantage of not having to calculate the neck angle...

*Edit*

Oh yeah, I did look at stewmac I don't want a maple neck, the wood is just too brightly toned... and I will probably wear gloves and a mask anyways... (I always wear gloves when I'm working with power tools and my allergies would kill me if I breathed that much sawdust... i'm not too worried about it...)

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 03-10-2007 at 07:28 AM.