Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #136
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

I have a $5 soldering iron from Wal-Mart that works just fine for guitar work.
Tin your tips (coat them with solder when you're done) and they'll last longer. I also hit them with sandpaper now and then to clean them. Before I started doing those things I was going through tips in a hurry. Live and learn. You may already know that stuff, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

All the parts do add up in a hurry. In at least two of my projects I was surprised at just how much the little things add up...especially if you're buying some stuff mail order and paying shipping like I was. Postal shipping rates are going up as of today too. Fun fun.

gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #137

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
I have an iron right now... but it needs new tips...
can you just replace the tip itself? I know the one I got (Radio Shack) has a replaceable tip on it. Generally I just try to keep it clean and tinned though.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #138
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Next time I get paid i'm going to order 44ga wire and 3 ceramic magnets and two humbucker bobbins and other various parts for my pickups... only thing is that I have a lot of bills stacking up and I don't know when my next paycheck comes in.
Why do you need 3 magnets for 2 humbuckers? Ceramic? Do you do a lot of heavy distortion stuff? I prefer a less strong alnico magnet which gives a mellower sound. The alnico V's can still pack a decent punch. Stronger magnets also pull on your strings more, giving you less sustain. How did you decide on 44ga wire? 42 ga wire seems to be standard on most pickups but the thinner wire will enable you to wind them hotter without the pickups getting too bassy and losing treble. My GFS overwound in the middle position of my Godin uses 43 ga wire; it is wound to 9k but still sounds very stratty. The stock bridge pickup on my Godin had 44 ga wire; I would have preferred it with an alnico V magnet though. Bear in mind that the thinner wire might be more likely to break when you are winding them. If you want to save money on the bobbins and slugs, you could buy some cheap or broken pickups off of Ebay and rewind them.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #139
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Why do you need 3 magnets for 2 humbuckers? Ceramic? Do you do a lot of heavy distortion stuff? I prefer a less strong alnico magnet which gives a mellower sound. The alnico V's can still pack a decent punch. Stronger magnets also pull on your strings more, giving you less sustain. How did you decide on 44ga wire? 42 ga wire seems to be standard on most pickups but the thinner wire will enable you to wind them hotter without the pickups getting too bassy and losing treble. My GFS overwound in the middle position of my Godin uses 43 ga wire; it is wound to 9k but still sounds very stratty. The stock bridge pickup on my Godin had 44 ga wire; I would have preferred it with an alnico V magnet though. Bear in mind that the thinner wire might be more likely to break when you are winding them. If you want to save money on the bobbins and slugs, you could buy some cheap or broken pickups off of Ebay and rewind them.

... wow... i thought I had explained this already but maybe that was IM or a different thread...

I'm going for a very specific sound... When I solo, I want my tone to be very Brian May like... He used Burns Trisonic pickups which were vintage air coil pickups using 44ga wire with 5000 turns and the air coils were then moved from the winder onto ceramic bar magnets. So it will be HSS (hum for my heavier stuff and singles for my solos). BTW, I'm buying my bobbins and slugs for my humbuckers from a wholesaler. I want some burns inspired buckers but more ready to distort because I am in a grunge-esq band.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #140
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I wonder if I'm strange, because I don't really like Brian May's tone... hmm...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #141
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
I wonder if I'm strange, because I don't really like Brian May's tone... hmm...
To each his own. I personally find him to be my guitar idol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7 View Post
I have a $5 soldering iron from Wal-Mart that works just fine for guitar work.
Tin your tips (coat them with solder when you're done) and they'll last longer. I also hit them with sandpaper now and then to clean them. Before I started doing those things I was going through tips in a hurry. Live and learn. You may already know that stuff, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

All the parts do add up in a hurry. In at least two of my projects I was surprised at just how much the little things add up...especially if you're buying some stuff mail order and paying shipping like I was. Postal shipping rates are going up as of today too. Fun fun.
Yeah... there's a wholesaler near here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
can you just replace the tip itself? I know the one I got (Radio Shack) has a replaceable tip on it. Generally I just try to keep it clean and tinned though.
I would replace them, however, there's nowhwere I know that sells compatible tips.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Last edited by thesteve; 05-14-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #142
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
... wow... i thought I had explained this already but maybe that was IM or a different thread...

I'm going for a very specific sound... When I solo, I want my tone to be very Brian May like... He used Burns Trisonic pickups which were vintage air coil pickups using 44ga wire with 5000 turns and the air coils were then moved from the winder onto ceramic bar magnets. So it will be HSS (hum for my heavier stuff and singles for my solos). BTW, I'm buying my bobbins and slugs for my humbuckers from a wholesaler. I want some burns inspired buckers but more ready to distort because I am in a grunge-esq band.
Yes, I do remember talking about the pickups now. It was in this thread about a month ago. I don't recall talking about the coil wire though. What are air coils?

Not my cup of tea. I prefer pickups that will give me versatility but if you plan on playing one particular style, that's cool.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)

Last edited by presbystrat; 05-15-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Unread 05-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #143

Quote:
Yes, I do remember talking about the pickups now. It was in this thread about a month ago. I don't recall talking about the coil wire though. What are air coils?
air coils are bobbinless pickups. generally the coil is wound with a collapsible bobbin then placed directly around the magnet (I believe the coil is insulated so that it's not actually touching the magnet itself)

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #144
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
air coils are bobbinless pickups. generally the coil is wound with a collapsible bobbin then placed directly around the magnet (I believe the coil is insulated so that it's not actually touching the magnet itself)
That sounds like it would take quite a bit of skill to do.

Unread 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #145
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
That's the general idea...

Quote:
That sounds like it would take quite a bit of skill to do.
I plan on practicing a good bit with thread before I actually do the coils themselves... I have a fairly slow motor even as far as pickup winders go so I'm not worried too much...

I have been posting quite a bit on another forum that's nothing but guitar building and I have gotten advice from many luthiers on this...

like Steve said they're usually wound on a collapsible bobbin, and before you remove the bobbin you firmly (but not too firmly as to break the wire) pull both ends of the wire and pull it tight like after you lace a shoe and are about to tie it...

Then for the 'insulation' that steve is talking about, I was advised to use regular old masking tape, and all it really does it helps get the wire onto the bar magnet without the edges of the magnet cutting any of wire...

then there is some basic wiring and viola you have a pickup for a LOT cheaper than they sell them for and it should be of whatever quality you planned it for...

Btw...

I have three guitars so I find my versatility in them... actually... between this and my Artcore. Eventually I'm gonna build a telecaster style guitar and a guitar with P-90s and have a specific guitar for everything I play.

*Edit*

Carvin called me and my neck is due to ship Friday so it should be in next week sometime, too bad I'll be in Kennesaw.

I also have decided just to wind the wire directly onto the magnet, i've read places where this has worked.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 05-15-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #146
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I have the neck, just came, it's absolutely beautiful pictures are coming...

Some wiring diagrams:

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 06-04-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Unread 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #147

man...it's definitely bothering me that i can't find any Fender Mustang wired in series schematics.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #148
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
man...it's definitely bothering me that i can't find any Fender Mustang wired in series schematics.
Me too.

Those photo's by the way go to my flickr where I am going to create an album of me doing every step in the process of this...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 07-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #149
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Me too.

Those photo's by the way go to my flickr where I am going to create an album of me doing every step in the process of this...
Speaking of Flickr albums, Just updated it.

Current Rig:

Public Blog