Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Luder
guitar books.

I've been looking for a new guitar book. I have FBL SE, and I've gone through the Hal Leonard book 2 and book 3.

I've looked at the Hal Leonard Rock Guitar Method and books like that, mostly theory/technique. Any specific ones you guys recomend? These are alright, but I tend to get bored somewhat quickly because I'm not learning actual songs.

I've also been considering getting one of those books that has every song from a certain album and learning that. The only problem is that Guitar Center and such doesn't really have any of the bands I listen to. Does anyone know where I can get these for christian artists? I'm interested in something like Skillet or Disciple as well as Tree63, Newsboys, Matt Redman, or any worship albums.

I'm basically just looking for something that I can learn full songs from of the music I listen to and want to play.

Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #2

Iv'e ordered the Switchfoot and Relient K books from Hal Leonard Publishing. Go here, http://www.halleonard.com/, and i believe there is a link you can click on, or type in the bands name as a search and they books that they have should come up...
RelientKFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Are you wanting to eventually write a book about a song or are you wanting to actually play songs?
If the latter then I suggest you bypass anoher book and begin to train your ear by listening to songs that you want to learn.
You may have no better resource to compliment and improve your musicianship than your ears so why not begin learning how to use them as a means of musical input in addition to your eyes and the page.

IMHO, too many players that I'm meeting (including many of my students) are heavily relying on tab only to teach them an already-recorded song and both their listening skills and playing technique are suffering for it.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Are you wanting to eventually write a book about a song or are you wanting to actually play songs?
If the latter then I suggest you bypass anoher book and begin to train your ear by listening to songs that you want to learn.
You may have no better resource to compliment and improve your musicianship than your ears so why not begin learning how to use them as a means of musical input in addition to your eyes and the page.

IMHO, too many players that I'm meeting (including many of my students) are heavily relying on tab only to teach them an already-recorded song and both their listening skills and playing technique are suffering for it.
Good idea. I have been learning a lot from doing the 2 improvisations we did here. I try to get a tune in my head from the backing track and then play it on the guitar by ear. This seems to work the best for me for learning how to solo with P&W. This is a first for me to learn by ear. Most of my life I have learned music the classical way with standard notation. Playing by ear is very freeing and seems to be the best way to solo on guitar.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #5

I'm not looking to write a book, I wanted to just learn some songs.

I kinda suck at learning by ear. I mean I can usually figure out the key, and I can improv a solo that sounds decent but I can never seem to nail what is actually being played.

Any tips on learning to play by ear, or how to start?

I've been learning some songs by just using a the chords and lyrics, using that as the rythym guitar part and making stuff up around them using power chords and solos. Is this a good start?
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
I've been learning some songs by just using a the chords and lyrics, using that as the rythym guitar part and making stuff up around them using power chords and solos. Is this a good start?
That's pretty much what I'm doing but I don't really care about sounding exactly like someone else and I'm almost exclusively learning to solo for P&W. If you want to sound exactly like someone else you will still not get closer than playing by ear. There usually isn't a tab or other musical notation that will show you how to play it exactly like a particular artist; there are always going to be things missing.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)

Last edited by presbystrat; 02-14-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm not looking to write a book, I wanted to just learn some songs.

I kinda suck at learning by ear. I mean I can usually figure out the key, and I can improv a solo that sounds decent but I can never seem to nail what is actually being played.

Any tips on learning to play by ear, or how to start?

If it works for you then I guess it's a good start.

As far as learning by ear, starting with simple single note melodies is a good place to begin. Memorize a vocal melody until you can hum it out loud and then try to play it on your guitar.
Yes, it might be difficult at first but will get easier with time and you'll probably learn to comprehend more complex melodies, harmony, chord structure, etc...and all this is to benefit you not so much so that you can sound just like someone else but so that your musical communication skills will improve.

To me, learing to listen and understand what it is that you're hearing is every bit as important as learning to play and understand what it is that you're playing.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 02-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #8
Godin/Seagull Man

Have you tried the "Learn-a-Lick" on you GNX3000 yet?
Unread 02-16-2007, 02:33 AM   #9

I haven't had a chance too. I'm not sure I have the cable you need to connect the cd player to it, I'll have too look.

I understand it just record 9 seconds and plays it back at whatever speed you want right? I guess that would be good for ear training to eventually be able to pick it up at full speed.
Unread 02-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
Dogbert's back!

I would recommend the Christian Guitar Tab White Pages. It's a Christian spinoff of the Guitar Tab White Pages, and it has about 125 really good songs in it ranging from older songs to songs released a year or two ago. Check it out, I think you'll like it. If you want to know what songs are in it, lemme know because I have the book.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to crazychu
how's the FBL SE btw? would it teach me stuff even without a teacher?
crazychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
I would recommend the Christian Guitar Tab White Pages. It's a Christian spinoff of the Guitar Tab White Pages, and it has about 125 really good songs in it ranging from older songs to songs released a year or two ago. Check it out, I think you'll like it. If you want to know what songs are in it, lemme know because I have the book.
That sounds interesting. What kind of songs does it have? Does it have only worship stuff or does it have rock songs also? Where can I get one?

FBL SE is good, I've only gone through the first half so far, but I would recomend it.
Unread 02-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychu View Post
how's the FBL SE btw? would it teach me stuff even without a teacher?
Anything you can get will teach you stuff IF you're motivated to study and practice.
What a teacher is most beneficial for, I feel as a teacher, is to give feedback and constructive criticism on your progress.
A teacher won't make you a better player nor will a book in and of themselves but they each can compliment and encourage a person who has the motivation to learn.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
Dogbert's back!

Quote:
That sounds interesting. What kind of songs does it have? Does it have only worship stuff or does it have rock songs also? Where can I get one?
Yeah, it has rock songs too. POD, Relient K, Switchfoot, Pillar, 1 Demon Hunter song, DC Talk, Steven Curtis Chapman, Audio Adrenaline, Newsboys etc. There's some worship in it too. If you're into CCM, it's definitely for you. You can find it at Amazon or probably at the Christian bookstore (where I found it).

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote